Greatwall Hobby 1/72 F-14A - VF31 Tomcatters, Bandwagon 202

After a few weeks, I thought I ought to post a RFI topic to sum up the final result of my 9 month build that I documented in the WIP thread below. The build did require some effort and concentration, and the kit is quite complex for the scale, but the end result is, I think, worthwhile. There are issues, but they're resolvable... and it'd probably my best Tomcat so far.

So, lets just add some photos:

This is probably a good one to start with, as a summary of what's what:

52058693768_269b475992_h.jpgGWH F-14A Tomcat detailed by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

Then some general ones... you may notice in some further down, the refueling probe is positioned a bit low. I had to remove it and reposition it higher, which is shown in the later photos that appear first... below.

52036942265_d114495dee_h.jpgTomcat upper rear view by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

52036734225_594b8fd3ed_h.jpgNose details and refuelling probe angle correction by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

52036461719_661e26beca_h.jpgReflections by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

52034789920_b851128706_h.jpgElectricals test by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

52034451640_8877123f43_h.jpgTomcat by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

52029904108_ffe45fa7d7_h.jpgElectricians' check by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

52024645146_36b657c98a_h.jpgTomcat tailfeathers open by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

52022748209_3b866998a2_h.jpgServicing Bandwagon 202 by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

52020350798_53a0c0beb6_h.jpgBandwagon 202; admired by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

52011530702_a35c858026_h.jpgBandwagon 202 Port front quarter (Wings dirty) by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

52012802124_30cea9f4e3_h.jpgBandwagon 202 Port rear quarter (Wings dirty) by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

52010771151_74589fc97e_h.jpgBandwagon 202 Rear Starboard quarter by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

52011228855_2ed642fe3b_h.jpgBandwagon 202 Port nose quarter (wings clean, parked in oversweep) by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

52010825231_fbdeba8ac7_h.jpgBandwagon 202 Starboard elevation by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

I'm happy with the final result... just pondering the next one now

Jonathan

• Like 63
  • Thanks 1

On 23/05/2022 at 06:19, MRMRL said:

That's super impressive for a 1/72 tomcat, beautiful work

Thanks very much. I strive to tackle each project looking for its own merits. This kit has its complexities and challenges but looks to produce a decent result, so I'll be doing another at some point.

Cheers

On 23/05/2022 at 05:03, npirnia said:

Really magnificent work Jon!

Your 1/72 Tomcats are consistently the finest I have seen, really impressive stuff!

Best,

Nick

Thanks Nick... very kind of you to say. It's an interesting little project, to work through the modern 72nd offerings of these fine machines and how cost does not always relate to quality, although this one produces a fine result. With each one I learn something more about the aircraft and try to find the benefits and wrinkles of each kit... So far, I'd day this produces the most detailed kit, but with convexities along the way. The 2019 tool academy is a good balance. I'm looking at the finemolds one now, and narrowing on a solution to the oddly shaped wings, so we'll see what else that one throws my way as we go.

But thanks. I do my best 😉

Jonathan

As you know Jon, i always thought this was a brilliant build. Going from the quality of construction and the detail in the kit, you can't really tell it's a 72nd scale model until you read the fine print.

I have the FineMolds Tomcat in my stash. Bring it on!

-d-

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pantherhawk27263 said:

Wow!!! Amazing work on this build. I have always loved the VF-31 markings on F-4s and F-14s. 

They're lovely markings aren't they. I always admired these but somehow the early vf41 black ace flying pencil schemes just didn't do it for me.

Of the main glory schemes, VF84 is still to be done, but I'm still struggling to find a good quality set of aftermarket decals that would work for a late 80s high vis scheme... I've got some but their quality is not as good as I'd like. If only cartograf did them all eh.

But thanks.... onwards with the next one after a short break

J

• Like 1

Absolutely delightful!

So beautifully built, finished and photographed!

I have a 1:72 Hasegawa kit in my stash, since it was a cheaper 2nd-hand acquisition; but I always would have loved to get the GWH kit; which looks gorgeous in the box!

Clearly it can become a gorgeous subject in skilled hands as your build proves!

👏👏👏

• Thanks 1

I've been watching this build intently and it really has been worth the wait. I'm a massive Tomcat fan and I love the way you've captured it's lines and the way the crew interact. Everything about the build, it's paintwork and then the photography is just stunning. Well done.

22 hours ago, Autle said:

I've been watching this build intently and it really has been worth the wait. I'm a massive Tomcat fan and I love the way you've captured it's lines and the way the crew interact. Everything about the build, it's paintwork and then the photography is just stunning. Well done.

On 03/06/2022 at 23:58, Parabat said:

Absolute stunner, very precise and lovely detail to pore over. Great idea to display on a mirror.

15 hours ago, SAT69 said:

I'm overwhelmed! Wow! Just Wow!

11 hours ago, toniosky said:

I am really not a big fan of the F-14 but I must admit that yours looks fantastic ! Your scene is also really cool: it's simple but yet the atmosphere of the carrier is here.

I just wanted to say thank you for your very kind comments.

I think the tomcat has a special place in the heart of many perhaps inspired by a certain pair of films, whether it was responsible for the downing of some Mig 28s [sic] or splashing a pair of zeros... but it's an impressive machine and just amazingly beautiful from almost any angle... I've enjoyed making three so far... more to come, promise. And thanks for the comments about the build (warts n all) paintwork and photography. I think the results look ok.

The mirror works after a fashion... I'm still looking for a front-face mirror for the perfect reflection... or maybe I'll get a piece of polished aluminium that should do the trick too.

I think a diorama would be nice. I do have the Italieri carrier deck section to put togther at some point (although it's a little warped) and i'm just near finishing a verlinden deck tractor mule... but posing on a white (or blue) background with just a few crew is, I think, a nice minimalist approach... which works after a fashion.

So thanks again - and once I get around to it, we'll see what I can make of the Finemolds tooling