1/72 Revell Heinkel He-177 A-5 "KG1"

Dear fellow Britmodellers,

here's my 1/72 Revell Heinkel He-177 A-5 in markings of KG1.

Painted with Mr.Hobby acrylics, photos by Wolfgang Rabel.

Special thanks @Richard502 for donating the kit, and to @Han Solo for paint advice.

a-DSC4432.jpg

The Revell kit was released 20 years ago. Compared to modern toolings, it has some shortcomings, such as poor transparencies and problematic fit on larger parts (wings and fuselage). 

The Revell kit is still a welcome replacement for the old Airfix model (from the 1960s).

a-DSC4437.jpg

a-DSC4440.jpg

a-DSC4441.jpg

a-DSC4435.jpg

For the upper colors, I chose RLM02/RLM70.

Decals are from Eagle Strike (72040), representing one of the last Heinkels in service.

In autumn of 1944, Kampfgeschwader 1 was disbanded and fight personnel were sent to /JG 7, converting to the Messerschmitt Me 262 fighter jets.

a-DSC4448.jpg

a-DSC4449.jpg

a-DSC4450.jpg

a-DSC4446.jpg

a-DSC4451.jpg

a-DSC4453.jpg

a-DSC4456.jpg

a-DSC4458.jpg

a-DSC4459.jpg

a-DSC4462.jpg

a-DSC4463.jpg

a-DSC4464.jpg

a-DSC4467.jpg

a-DSC4470.jpg

The He-177 is mostly displayed with anti-shipping rockets, I loaded my model more conventionally, using the six bombs provided in the Revell kit.

The underside was painted RLM65.

a-DSC4474.jpg

a-DSC4477.jpg

a-DSC4478.jpg

a_DSC4483.jpg

Thank you for your interest, best greetings from Vienna!

Roman

• Like 70
  • Thanks 2

Hi Roman

This is very nice and I like this big bomber.

Are you sure about the RLM70 you used which looks like a mid-green instead of the usual Schwarzgrün as on the propeller blades.

Cheers.

Patrick

21 hours ago, VG 33 said:

Are you sure about the RLM70 you used which looks like a mid-green instead of the usual Schwarzgrün as on the propeller blades.

Thank you very much for feedback, Patrick.

Yes, it is the same color indeed, but sprayed in different dilutions.

I used a thinner mix for the upperside blotches and spinner, while the prop blades received a 'dryer' coat.

• Like 1

Roman my friend, this is why you are a virtuoso of the hobby.  By no means an “easy” kit to assemble especially to the level in which you have here.  I like the very attractive camouflage scheme.  Inspirational as usual!!!!!! :worthy:

Mike

A typically excellent model, Roman. I agree that it's a tricky build in places but well worth it when you get a result like this. 

Very impressive result, Roman. I've had one like this in my stash for ages, but always shied away from the amount of work 🤔

Peter

That's a real "beauty", Roman! It is one of my favourite WW2 German aircraft (and there aren't many!). It was a shame that it was so dangerous! 

Martin

Great work on your He-177, which you finished in an uncommon but attractive camouflage scheme. The bomb bay is neatly built, which from experience, I know can be a tricky fit. You've inspired me to take another look at mine and get it across the finish line!