Matchbox 1/32 Surtees TS16 - seeking some advice on a build?

RobL

Hey all

For some reason this past couple of years I've on and off had an urge to build an F1 car kit, particularly when I watch, as I have been this weekend, events like the Monaco Historic Grand Prix, (although I don't have much of a budget so MFH kits are out of the question)...

So, for my not too distant 45th I've decided to bite the bullet and service that F1 car urge.  As a result I've just bought a Matchbox 1/32 Surtees TS16 kit.  As I already have two of Matchbox's Porsche 917/10 kit (and I built, not very well, one of them), I am aware of the quality of Matchbox 1/32 car kits.

Whilst I could just build the Surtees out of the box I'd like to do a little bit of "super-detailing", if it's even needed.  So, I'm wondering what details, that can be seen, where there is no bodywork, need adding, providing they can be done with simple materials like styrene/metal rod or pre-made parts (if any exist in such a scale)?

I'm also wondering what pitfalls in the build to look out for?

Some things I've identified already -

I'm guessing that stripping the chromed parts, with bleach (?) or IPA, and repainting them in something like AK Interactive Xtreme metal polished aluminium (or other metals, for the brake discs, for example) would be a good idea right off the bat?

I know some ignition wire leads would be something relatively easy to add, so they're already on the to do list.  I'll use 26 gauge wire (0.41mm diameter) for those, as from my basic googling it seems that would be an appropriate size.

Seat belts, unless pre-made, would be a stretch for me, so I'll leave those out.

My google searches haven't led to many up-close reference photos, but there's a couple of metal fins on the front wing ends that are seen in almost all photos of the car that I've come across, but aren't on the model kit, so I'll add those, 20thou (maybe 10thou) styrene sheet will make that a relatively easy task.

There is a grill on either side, presumably radiator grills, that I am thinking could be replaced by mesh, because they don't look all that well moulded, but I don't know what size/type of mesh to use to make it look right, or where to source it from?

That's all I can think of at the moment.  Having come across scans of the kit's instructions, and looked at some photos of the car in period, it would seem that Matchbox got all the tubular framework and other details into the kit, where stuff is visible outside the bodywork at least, and only minor things are needed, like those mentioned above, and drilling out the exhausts, for a little bit of easy to add basic extra detail.

Any info/advice on this would be greatly appreciated though?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by RobL

I've just built one in the Matchbox group build and I must admit if I had the chance to build another I would pass on it. There are no real location points to talk of and without modern superglue I couldn't have built it. It's the most fragile kit I have ever built and as a teenager I would have binned it well before the end. The chrome can be stripped, Mr muscle oven cleaner works well, you can add leads and mesh etc and it will add some detail, but it is a small kit to start with. My decals had yellowed, but I just wanted to finish it. There are some decent pics at racingsportscars.com  just search TS16

Best of luck 😀

• Like 2

Thanks, I came across your build today, you did a very good job of it.   👍

Having built a 1/32 Porsche 917/10 by Matchbox I know that was somewhat tricky in places to secure pieces so I'm prepared for that on the Surtees TS16.

Edited by RobL
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

One big problem (one that I ignored) is that the tires are looking awful. The shape is wrong and Surtees did run on Firestone, not Good Year as the kit has.

I gat a tip to look for replacement tires for slot cars (mini racing). I haven't decided what to do with my next kit. At the moment I have sanded off the Good Year markings but I would like to get new tires but there are no local hobby stores were I can find them any more.

• 2 weeks later...