P2V-7 Neptune (1:72, Hasegawa)

3 hours ago, Marcello Rosa said:

Did you have a chance to go inside? That observer station overhanging the clear nose - best office view in the world!

spacer.png

No, not as lucky as that little bloke in the picture,

Michael

1 hour ago, Marcello Rosa said:

Maybe I should build an Orion then, and take another group photo...

It would show the progression, but then you'd have to get a P-8 also.

58 minutes ago, Marcello Rosa said:

I have already looked, but it does seem that there is any 1/72 kit of the Poseidon.

BPK makes one, Welsh models also has a vac form one. They look quite large being a 737 in that scale. They're a few bucks to.

On 15/05/2022 at 13:25, Marcello Rosa said:

Neptunes of the Brazilian Air Force used to fly low over the beaches of Salvador, in Northeastern Brazil, where I spent a few years as a child, and I still remember how loud they were. Attached are the first pictures my just completed rendition of the Hasegawa P2V-7 Neptune kit, of 1987 vintage. This model represents a plane that served with VP-11 in the mid-60's, undertaking long and lonely patrols of the North Atlantic in the search for Soviet submarines.

The Hasegawa kit has raised panels, little interior detail, and no detail at all in the wheel bays. However the shape is accurate, the fit is fine, and there is almost no flash. It does have some annoying features, like the canopy that comes in two halves to be joined along the midline, and propellers in which each blade comes separately. These require a lot of test fitting and tweaking to look good (best to use slow setting cement).

This second-hand kit came bundled with an Eduard internal detail set, which was OK, but to be honest did not add much. In addition, the decals that came with the kit disintegrated upon testing, so I purchased a set from PrintScale (cat. no. 72-106). Alas, this aftermarket set was incomplete, and somewhat inaccurate, requiring some improvisation using bits and pieces from the spares box, and even rescuing some bits from the Hasegawa set (piecing them together like a mosaic).

spacer.png

f6d3b4_b181a27cdaae4b57a66d7a71a0ccf186~

f6d3b4_dc48c7049c2f4c58ad49c683ed9cf3ff~

f6d3b4_4ce1d06bbede468aa54a2875d2726ca2~

f6d3b4_6afadc2f50b145c198a1ec613749079f~

f6d3b4_8fb8ea0989634cc7b3e1ee99de1d0b5d~

f6d3b4_89cae4d18b27470a9ef6238de9c98f74~

I also show here a couple of pictures of the Neptune next to the PB4Y-2 Privateer, the previous generation of US Navy patrol bombers (both 1/72). This is just to make the point that the Neptunes are about the same size as a Privateer (itself a stretched B-24 Liberator), which was a bit surprising to me. I think the Neptunes look smaller than they are, mostly on account of the large canopy (which reflects it being designed for the ocean patrol job) and huge engines.

For more pictures and details about the build, check this model in my web page (address in the signature panel). 

f6d3b4_154b71689aaf45b4ac8cc50e834acad3~

f6d3b4_d5b9e95179194dc183bae622a4b8887f~

Nice clean model.

Alain

5 hours ago, stever219 said:

Go on, you know you want to!

I have my eyes on a Hasegawa P-3C, but they are out of production, so the prices on eBay are ridiculous (hundreds of dollars for one in good condition). It is in my wish list. I hope Hasegawa releases it again.

12 hours ago, Marcello Rosa said:

I have my eyes on a Hasegawa P-3C, but they are out of production, so the prices on eBay are ridiculous (hundreds of dollars for one in good condition). It is in my wish list. I hope Hasegawa releases it again.

Some second-hand prices are ridiculous but other auction sites, e.g. Veteranus in the UK, tend not to reach such extravagant prices.  I'm looking for a reasonably-priced P-3 too.  I hope you find one; you did a fantastic job on the Neptune and I'd love to see what you can do with its successor.

• Thanks 1