P2V-7 Neptune (1:72, Hasegawa)

13 hours ago, Marcello Rosa said:

Thank you. I keep telling myself that I should do some modern kits, but somehow end gravitating back to old kits of not-so-popular planes.

Keep at it as long as you're having fun. I appreciate the photos at eye level, as if we were looking at the real aeroplane. Great build of a beautiful airplane.

Cheers,

Wlad

• Thanks 1

Lovely work. You've done a great job of turning an older kit into a superb model. I've always loved the Neptune since seeing them fly at airshows at the old RAAF base, Laverton, Melbourne.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, bertielissie said:

Lovely work. You've done a great job of turning an older kit into a superb model. I've always loved the Neptune since seeing them fly at airshows at the old RAAF base, Laverton, Melbourne.

I've loved Neptunes for the best part of my life. when I was 11/ 12 I lived in a place where Neptunes used to fly really low over the beaches we used to go to. On one occasion one of them shook every window of my house during a low fly past. As you can imagine, as a young boy, I was deeply impressed.

Hello Marcello,

Like you, I remember this big bird flying over my head when I was a kid. I used to spend my holidays at the seaside in the 70's, and the beach was a few hundred meters in the axis of the runway threshold of the naval air base of Lann Bihoue in Brittany, France. I plan to build two Neptunes, one French and one US. I have engraved the Hasegawa plastic, and I am currently looking for time and motivation to continue the project!

I also intend to install the PE Eduards, but if you write that the result does not reward the effort...

I'm hesitating, so :hmmm:

Anyway, your work is superb, thanks for sharing.👍

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Snafu35 said:

Hello Marcello,

Like you, I remember this big bird flying over my head when I was a kid. I used to spend my holidays at the seaside in the 70's, and the beach was a few hundred meters in the axis of the runway threshold of the naval air base of Lann Bihoue in Brittany, France. I plan to build two Neptunes, one French and one US. I have engraved the Hasegawa plastic, and I am currently looking for time and motivation to continue the project!

I also intend to install the PE Eduards, but if you write that the result does not reward the effort...

I'm hesitating, so :hmmm:

Anyway, your work is superb, thanks for sharing.👍

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35

Hi Eric

The Eduard set is not bad. My argument is more that it does not provide anything that can't be scratch built with ease, just from wire and spare photo etch sprues. If you already have it, then go for it. For me it was more or less the same. I bought this second hand from eBay, and to my surprise the Eduard set came inside the box. Just could not resist using it.

I had some problems with the Eduard set from the fact that I chose to keep the crew figures. Without them, it may be just matter of sanding the seats a bit more to make them narrower. Otherwise, you have to do some knee surgery in the pilot and co-pilot, and remove some of the side consoles, among other things. You can see the explanation here: https://www.marcellorosa.com/1-72p2v-7neptune

Having said that I liked having the windscreen wipers, and seatbelts.

Oh, and be prepared to use A LOT of ballast near the front.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Michael51 said:

Great builds on both.

The Neptune brings back Laverton airshow memories - what a sleek machine it was for its time,

Michael

Did you have a chance to go inside? That observer station overhanging the clear nose - best office view in the world!

spacer.png

I never knew how close in size the Neptune is to the B-24. I only ever saw a Neptune up close once. Models look well done, those are good stablemates, almost like the Neptune is replacing the Privateer.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, busnproplinerfan said:

I never knew how close in size the Neptune is to the B-24. I only ever saw a Neptune up close once. Models look well done, those are good stablemates, almost like the Neptune is replacing the Privateer.

Maybe I should build an Orion then, and take another group photo...

• Like 1