Spray Painting National Markings

Roland Pulfrew

I’ve seen quite a few model builds where the modeller has chosen to spray on national markings/roundels as opposed to using decals. I’m sometimes bemused as to why go to the effort, particularly given the excellent decals available in kits and from the aftermarket suppliers, and especially so when trying to stop ridges of paint from forming, whatever paint masks are used.

That said, I’m looking to spray markings (RAF roundels) onto a captured Luftwaffe aircraft, for 2 reasons. 1 - I don’t have any decals of the right size to use decals, and 2 - I’d like to give it a go.  So a couple of questions if I may:

1.  Anyone got any top tips on spraying roundels and avoiding paint ridges?

2.  Anyone got any tips on obtaining or making circular paint masks? 

1. Take it slowly using thin coats and building up.

2. I started by using a compass cutter, then discovered that I rather liked painting markings and bought a Silhouette Portrait 3.  For material I use Artool Ultra Mask, and get mine from the Airbrush Company.

Good luck.

Edited by MikeC
  • Like 2

I don't spray my markings, but I can understand why people do it.  If sprayed correctly, the paint thickness will be microns, rather than the larger fractions of a mm that you get with decals of even the highest quality.  So far I've been hiding the edges of the carrier film by adding layers of clear gloss, but I think I'll be tempted to take up masking and spraying things before too very long now I've got my modelling mojo back.

There are companies that will sell you masks for various things like roundels and fuselage codes etc.  There's even one company that have come up with a way of cutting stencils that are so fine that they can have you spraying even the tiniest of stencils.  I've reviewed some of the masks out there, so have a search of the review area :)

It's your hobby though, so do what you like :yes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are a couple of good reasons to spray national markings, one being that it's possible to introduce on the markings the same effects used for the camo scheme, so obtaining a more realistically weathered finish. Of course weathered finishes and similar stuff are not to everybody's taste but having nice shiny and clean roundels on a weathered model does not look too realistic.

To avoid ridges the main things are used thin coats and never spray against the mask edge, same as with every kind of masking. Clearly the smallers size of markings mean a lot more care but with some practice it's possible.

Speaking of suppliers, I quite like Maketar products: https://shop.maketar.com/?product_cat=aircraft-insignia-markings

They have masks for several types of markings and also do custom masks. Of course there are others around, for example Montex who have a huge catalogue: http://www.montex-mask.com/en/home

I've made many masks at home for markings, for circles I still tend to use a compass cutter but for other stuff I use the same cutter as MikeC. A computer controlled cutter is a great tool, it's not cheap and every mask need work to be correctly drawn and sized but the possibilities are endless

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I echo what has been said before me. Spraying very light coats avoids a build up of ridges and the end result is much more realistic than decals. I used masks for all markings on this Airfix 1/24 Hurricane.

Dave

• Like 1

I spray my roundels just because it's what the cool guys do. @davecov advice is good, start with light coats ans this will seal the masking before any heavier passes.

My attempt in 1/48 and using the Olfa circle cutter.

DRJZ0zT.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2022 at 9:38 AM, Giorgio N said:

I use the same cutter as MikeC. A computer controlled cutter is a great tool, it's not cheap and every mask need work to be correctly drawn and sized but the possibilities are endless

The possibilities are indeed endless.  I use it for roundels as well, it's so simple: Using the software that comes with the cutter, draw and size 3 circles; position them to be concentric (about three clicks through a couple of menus); and then group them so they become one design.  I find it's not only improving - at least to my mind - my models, but being a former IT professional, I enjoy playing with the software, designing and drawing various markings has become almost a hobby in itself.

Incidentally, the cutter will cut anything you like that's within its capabilities.  I've never tried it, but I know some use it to cut complex shapes, such as the ventral reinforcing strap on a Phantom, from thin plastic card.   I've used it to cut templates from paper far more exactly than I could do by hand.

No, I'm not being paid by the Silhouette company, neither do I own shares, just a happy user.

Edited by MikeC
  • Like 1

Incidentally, not wishing to hijack your thread, but just to show what can be done, this 1/32 Mustang (Revell) has no decals apart from the kill markings, prop logos and a couple of placards in the cockpit.

20220306-135000-2.jpg

And all that with relatively little experience.

Edited by MikeC
  • Like 3