USS Gato Class Submarine

Brian Wilkins

Hi all,

I am thinking about building a Trumpeter USS Gato SS-212 Sub.  In Wisconsin we have a museum with a Gato class sub (the USS Cobia) and I plan to visit the sub to get weathering and detail ideas.  This particular sub is not available as a kit so I will need to fabricate some of the details.  I am looking for recommendations on what materials I can use to make realistic antenna, periscope, conning tower, etc. The pic below is the USS Cobia.  I appreciate any suggestions that you may have.  Thanks!spacer.png

9 minutes ago, Brian Wilkins said:

1/350 Trumpeter USS Gato SS-212 Sub 1944 is the kit that I want to build.  I will definitely check out the 1/72 Cobia kit from Revell that you mentioned.  I had a modelling moment when I realized that I can actually go aboard the sub and inspect every inch of her.  The museum where the USS Cobia is docked even has options for people to stay onboard overnight. How cool is that!? 🙂

1 hour ago, europapete said:
1 hour ago, europapete said:

What scale is the kit Brian?

I will check out the sources that you listed and thanks for the info.  That finished sub in Ready For Inspection looks very nice.  I am not on that level yet but baby steps.  I checked out the USS Lionfish as well and you are fortunate to be in close proximity to such an important piece of history.  Enjoy the rest of the weekend and best of luck with your modelling.

• Thanks 1