Another Malta Spifire question: wing walk lines

Seawinder

I don't know if there's any way to get a definitive answer on this one: AB264 was one of the Vb trops that was delivered in basically desert camouflage and had the Mid Stone areas over-painted with Extra Dark Sea Grey. The question is whether or not the wing walk lines were restored to the EDSG areas.

Thanks! Pip

37 minutes ago, Seawinder said:

I don't know if there's any way to get a definitive answer on this one: AB264 was one of the Vb trops that was delivered in basically desert camouflage and had the Mid Stone areas over-painted with Extra Dark Sea Grey. The question is whether or not the wing walk lines were restored to the EDSG areas.

Thanks! Pip

This is a good question. Do the mechanics had time to paint the lines ?????

Alain

Pip,

I recently completed a Mk.Vb in EDSG/DE over Azure, and I chose to only show the lines on the DE portions, thinking that restoring the lines would not be a priority in theatre,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just flipped through my collection of Malta Vb and Vc spitfires and I really don't see contrasting wing walk lines in any images - some pix are very clear and show no wing walks

so skip this, I'd say...  🙂

ilj

• Thanks 1

I have nothing to back this up but I have to believe that there was zero interest in restoring these lines, given the circumstances at the time.     

On a related note, I have to shake my head when I see models of Luftwaffe aircraft with temporary snow camouflage and the builder then adds the missing stencils on top of the white.