HMS Antelope (F170)

Hello,

for a Falklands War project I intend to build HMS Antelope (F170) by using the Airfix HMS Amazon kit. Research showed that available photos in the internet are mostly of poor quality and are not helpful to identify details. According to my sources HMS Antelope was the only Amazon class vessel that did not have been refitted with exocet missiles.  The available poor quality photos seem to confirm this and it seems that in front of the bridge Corvus  Launchers were installed. Can somebody confirm this ? Does somebody know of  books that include good quality  photos of HMS Antelope? Are there any reasons not to use the Amazon kit? Any information will be appreciated.

Cheers Lemmy 

• Like 1

Thank you. for your response. I know this photo and it is one of better quality. This is the photo that seems to confirm that no Exocet was installed.

Here is a Paul Beaver Airfix Magazine article from 1975 which updates the HMS Amazon kit to show her once in service. It shows her before the Exocets were installed and has the Corvus launchers in front of the bridge. It will help to model HMS Antelope which as you know never had Exocets.

https://www.davecov.org/modelling/reference/airfixmagazinearticles/warships/pdfs/October_1975_HMS_Amazon_Detailing.pdf

Dave

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks to all of you and especially davecov for the link. This will help a lot. 

Edited by Lemmy
  • Like 1

This might also help - taken onboard Ambuscade in 1979.  I am intending to start a build of the Airfix kit as Ambuscade in 1982 for the Falklands 40th GB in the next week or so which you might also find useful. 

If you haven't already got one, I would strongly recommend the Atlantic models photo etch set https://www.atlanticmodels.net/onewebmedia/Instructions Files/Amazon600.pdfspacer.png

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/05/2022 at 19:17, Whitewolf said:

If I recall correctly, only 5 of the Type 21s had Exocet fitted initially, Antelope was one of the 3 that did not have it in 82

Correct.  The first 3 entered service before the UK's order of MM38 was delivered by Aerospatiale with the intention of retrofitting when available but ANTELOPE never had her chance.  In the end they were fitted to hulls 4-8 first before AMAZON and AMBUSCADE got theirs IIRC.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Meanwhile the build is nearly finished. Only the "rigging", rod antennas and the helicopter is missing. I tried to correct the original kit by using photos I found at the internet. For sure not perfect but I am satisfied with the result.  I would like to add a photo but to be honest, I do not know how🤣

8 minutes ago, Lemmy said:

I would like to add a photo but to be honest, I do not know how

Gidday Lemmy, unfortunately you can't simply add photos as an attachment like e-mails. You have to upload them to a photo hosting site first. I use Flickr as it gives me 1000 free photos. I believe some other sites do too. I've heard Imgur is good also. HTH. And I'd like to see your model.       Regards, Jeff.

Thanks Arnold. Unfortunately I do not use such sites but i posted some pics at scalemates. I just informed about flickr and similar services and decided not to use them for data safety reasons. As written above I posted some pics at scalematcom where it is easy to find. You can watch them without being a member. to do this insert "scalemates HMS Amazone" e.g. at google search. the search result will lead you to the product page of airfix HMS amazone at scalemates. Scroll down and you will find the pics on my account.

Edited by Lemmy
way to find pictures