Dissolving Acrylic Paint on Model

Peter Browne

I know that methylated spirits and IPA amongst others can help strip acrylic paint from a plastic model. 

But is there anything I can use to actually dissolve the paint, so brushing is not required?

The model is a 1/35 Dragon Models Panther tank I have put on the shelf of shame due to a rough paint finish (probably too hot when I sprayed and/or too high spray pressure).  There is quite a bit of fine detail on the model, and it's a shame not to finish it.  But I feel using a toothbrush would cause damage...

Peter

Mr Muscle Oven Cleaner I know works from experience, although you'd be hard pressed to be lucky enough not to have to do some brushing or agitating.  I've stripped a few models over the years, and you just squirt this stuff onto your model in a large sealable bag, and let it foam up.  Leave it sealed for a few hours or overnight, and it should kill off most if not all of your paint, as long as the liquid stays on/wet while it's working.

I'm also told that brake cleaner works, but I've no personal experience of that, so won't comment further. :)

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Flat Chat said:

Thanks Mike.  I assume Mr Muscle doesn't affect glue?

Hasn't in my experience, nor have I heard of other people telling tales of woe about their model falling to bits after they stripped it, so I'm going to say "no".  Probably not :)

In the states, I use a product called Purple Power, or sometimes find it as Castrol Super Clean.  I've also used the foaming type oven cleaners.  While I have not used it, I have also heard that Brake Fluid works well, however you must be careful around any resin parts - they will dissolve.  In all cases, however, you may need to use a brush to get the more stubborn areas clean.

Hannants sell a product called "Purisol", IIRC. They claim it will strip most paints off styrene kits (I have some tucked away, but have never used it). There is also a product called "Model Strip", which appears to be a caustic paste, which dissolves paint overnight. That I have used and it's good stuff. 

Hope this helps. 

Chris. 

49 minutes ago, spruecutter96 said:

Hannants sell a product called "Purisol", IIRC. They claim it will strip most paints off styrene kits (I have some tucked away, but have never used it). There is also a product called "Model Strip", which appears to be a caustic paste, which dissolves paint overnight. That I have used and it's good stuff. 

Hope this helps. 

Chris. 

Modelstrip has been out of production for some time following the death of the owner of the business.

Revell produce a paint remover suitable for both enamel and acrylic paints

Revell 39617 Paint Remover

there is also Paint Magic from De Luxe Materials

De Luxe Materials Strip Magic.  There is a good video on you to use it here You Tube Strip Magic

Well, I soaked the Ryfield 1/35 Panther 6 (kit 5018), completely submerged in a tub of Methylated Spirits (denatured alcohol) for 7 days.  About AU$15 worth of metho if you buy it in quantities of 4litres or more.  Using a large artist's SOFT paint brush, it was just a matter of softly going over the tank to wipe off the now completely dissolved paint,  Rinse and repeat.  No brushing needed.  Quite a good result considering the detail on the model, and that it was primed...  I actually soaked a bit more after the clean-up in fresh metho, and nothing else came off, fluid still pristine.  The original metho had to be disposed of...

Now repainted with a nice smooth finish; the stripped model below before re-spraying.  Not sure what the black stains are, but they had no effect on the resulting surface.  You can see how difficult this would have been to brush with a toothrush.

IMG-4974.jpg

IMG-4976.jpg

This is to model this vehicle, which I started last year...

Panther_323_pz_Lehr_Rgt_130.jpg

Panther_323_pz_Lehr_Rgt_130_2.jpg