MiG-21 F-13 Syrian Air Force. Revell

Hello all, here is the latest from the shed. I really like the Revell MiG-21 F-13 kit, it goes together well and looks right when its built. The model depicts a Czech built Syrian Air Force aircraft of the 10th fighter Squadron in 1969, the decals coming from Begemot. I chose the camouflaged scheme, not silver, as I wanted to have another go with Colour Coats paints. It’s weathered with Flory washes and Tamiya powders.

I’ve also posted a few shots of another F-13 I built last year. It’s a Cuban marked Soviet aircraft at the time of the Cuban Missile Crisis. The red stars were overpainted with white discs and Cuban markings were then applied.

Hope you like them.

Pete

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And the Cuban

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking

Pete

• Like 70

Pete……..the shed produced another work of art.  I`m going to make plans to visit the shed someday to see just how things get done.  Great Fishbeds!!!!! :like:

Mike

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sky Keg said:

Pete……..the shed produced another work of art.  I`m going to make plans to visit the shed someday to see just how things get done.  Great Fishbeds!!!!! :like:

Mike

Cheers Mike. You know you are most welcome any time, might be a bit of a squeeze as its not the biggest shed in the world.😄

3 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

A fish double bed! And very nice they are too. I particularly like the Cuban one for its historical significance.

Cheers Bertie. A fish double bed! Good one, I like that😄

1 hour ago, Ryan Hothersall said:

Nicely built. 

Just a tip on the Czech built F-13, all the photos I’ve seen, they replaced the clear bit behind the canopy with metal, while the Russian built ones had that clear bit. 

Cheers Ryan. You've confirmed what I saw on a colour plate of the Syrian plane, but assumed was a printing error. I'll paint it in. 👍

• Like 1

I just fell off my bar stool!!! The subjects, color schemes and execution are brilliant!  Thank you and I hope someone produces a decent 1/48 F-13 in the near future!!  How did you achieve the nice silver color?  Is the real thing bare metal or over painted with aluminum paint?  Sorry for all the questions. 

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, 28ZComeback said:

I just fell off my bar stool!!! The subjects, color schemes and execution are brilliant!  Thank you and I hope someone produces a decent 1/48 F-13 in the near future!!  How did you achieve the nice silver color?  Is the real thing bare metal or over painted with aluminum paint?  Sorry for all the questions. 

Thank you very much! I hope you didnt spill your beer😄. The paint used for the Cuban aircraft was Humbrol 27002 gloss aluminium, with semi gloss varnish sprayed on after the decals had been applied.

With regards to the real colours I quote Troy Smith - from this post  MiG-21 F-13 overall finish by DannyB.

Soviet jets from the mid 50's on used a varnish with added aluminium powder, so it's not quite silver paint, and as such you can see some variation still of the base metal stock, which can make it appear a NMF under some conditions.

Cheers

Pete

• Thanks 1

On 15/05/2022 at 07:22, supersonic said:

What a fine pair of Migs!

Hans

23 hours ago, Mig88 said:

Great pair!! Beautifully finished both of them.

Miguel

Thank you both, much appreciated.🙂

Great MiGs Pete! After seeing these two, I have to agree with your assessment - the Revell kit looks top of the line. You made the most of all that fine surface detail and ordnance/airbrakes. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pyradus said:

Great MiGs Pete! After seeing these two, I have to agree with your assessment - the Revell kit looks top of the line. You made the most of all that fine surface detail and ordnance/airbrakes. :thumbsup:

Thanks very much. Yes the panel lines are beautifully moulded, as are the smaller parts. The odd rods are a bit thick on the bottom of the model and are best replaced with etch and a resin seat enhances the cockpit (Cuban). Actually the kit seat isnt all that bad with a bit of work (Syrian). Not sure how old the moulds are but overall its a lovely little package.

Excellent change of pace from your usual crop of massive Soviet aircraft!  These look fab!  Interestingly, I just looked at an F-13 that had been sitting outside for years, and the dark wing panels are actually chromate green-yellow beneath the silver lacquer--thought you'd be interested.  Alex

• Thanks 1

On 23/05/2022 at 13:47, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Excellent change of pace from your usual crop of massive Soviet aircraft!  These look fab!  Interestingly, I just looked at an F-13 that had been sitting outside for years, and the dark wing panels are actually chromate green-yellow beneath the silver lacquer--thought you'd be interested.  Alex

Thanks Alex. Yes even more of a change, the builds currently on the go are are an F104 and an F86D! Interesting about the Chromate colour, Ive never seen that. Do you have the link to the photo? I would like to take a peek.

• Like 1