Request for Advice - Luftwaffe modelling

Roland Pulfrew

Morning all.  I’ve decided it’s time to start work on the “shelf of doom”, particularly whilst I’m waiting for a couple of GB to win 🤞🏻 and be authorised (but that’s 2023!!).  So I’ve pulled this off the shelf:

52071154842_bc1bc9a00c_b.jpg

I’ve found this on the Net which is going to be a great help, but I was wondering if there are any top tips from Luftwaffe fans, on how to do the mottled camo?  I’ve never done a WW2 Luftwaffe aircraft in mottled schemes, so it’s going to be a challenge!!

52071154887_888846fe3d_b.jpg

My plan was to finish it in RAF colours as one of the aircraft captured at Grove at the end of the war and test flown by Farnborough. 

52072275608_7556b07f93_b.jpg

I don’t think I’ve got the appropriate roundels anywhere in the spares box, so was thinking of spraying them on (another first), can anyone recommend some pre-cut decals or a really good way of cutting your own to the correct size in masking tape or vinyl tape?

All ideas very welcome

Many of the in-service 219s had a 'reverse' mottle scheme of RLM76 or '84' over a base of RLM75.  Techniques to achieve this at scale are many and varied, but I built one of these a few weeks ago and the RFI thread will be on here somewhere,  I'm not at home at the moment and not sure how to link to it from my phone unfortunately.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Werdna said:

Many of the in-service 219s had a 'reverse' mottle scheme of RLM76 or '84' over a base of RLM75.  Techniques to achieve this at scale are many and varied, but I built one of these a few weeks ago and the RFI thread will be on here somewhere,  I'm not at home at the moment and not sure how to link to it from my phone unfortunately.

This one? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Roland Pulfrew said:

This one? 

Close up, at low pressure with lots of practice ;) I think I mentioned in the thread that working out how to follow a pattern is critical,  so lot of practice drawing shapes on paper first.. :)

• Thanks 1

I'm in a similar situation with a Bf109 on the bench and soon to start my first Luftwaffe mottling in over fifty years. So I had a look around and found these threads. 

The first one is interesting - using chalk pastels

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235061417-ww2-luftwaffe-camouflage-mottling/

This is using a brush:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234989441-how-do-you-do-mottling/#comment-2117911

and this with an airbrush:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234959745-luftwaffe-mottling-techniques-where-do-i-start/#comment-1612448

I was tempted to try the chalk pastel route but in the end I decided I have an airbrush which I've been using for a few years now so I'm going to be brave. And one of my very old builds, from the back of the cabinet, is going to become a paint mule to try out first.

Good luck

Mark

• Thanks 1

For airbrushing, Werdna nailed it. Close in, low pressure, lots of practice AND, a thin paint/thinner ratio of say 30/70.

18120108-jpg.519953

Edited by Crimea River
  • Like 5

Thing about this finish, it's not blotches. it squiggles.  See the photo of the NASM's 219.  The example you have posted is completed using the same process.

spacer.png

Edited by mekon
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, mekon said:

Thing about this finish, it's not blotches. it squiggles.  See the photo of the NASM's 219.  The example you have posted is completed using the same process.

spacer.png

And squiggles are easier to replicate.

Paint the dark color first the do the squiggle’s .

• Like 1