RAF Hurricane Code

Reed0427

A relative of mine was apparently S/Ldr. J V C Badger, an RAF pilot who crashed in August 1940. 

http://www.bbm.org.uk/airmen/BadgerJVC.htm

I know he was in 43 Squadron, and crashed in Hurricane V6458 on 30 August 1940. I know the squadron marking was FT, but does anyone know how to find out which letter was on V6458?

DR/USA 

You could try a search of the Squadron ORB - copies of Squadron Operational Records Books are held by the UK National Archives - but these often just list the serial or partial serial of the aircraft.

Pilots usually recorded the aircraft code in their logbooks. A long shot, but if you can track down a logbook (especially Badger’s) of a pilot from the same Flight in 43 Squadron, you may be able to identify the code letter.

Other options are searching aircraft production lists, crash records, combat reports, etc. Have you tried simply Googling the aircraft or pilot? Research into the Squadron for the period may also reveal information.

Good luck with your quest,

PR

• Like 1

Just had a quick look at the ORB both Summary & Detail.  Info has the serial not the aircraft letter I’m afraid.

I think you need to try and track down his log book or hope someone on here has the info you need..

These people might be able to help @Troy Smith, @Graham Boak, @JackG ..

• Like 1

It does appear the opening post had the middle two numbers switched around, and the proper serial was V6548

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C16472094

Have also checked the latest publication on the subject, RED KITE Battle of Britain Combat Archive vol.8  that deals with August 30.  Unfortunately no individual code listed.

Not that many individual codes seem to be known, so that even using a process of elimination only gives a starting point.   Some known serials and codes based on profiles:

FT@X  P3466

FT@D  P3781

FT@K  N2621

FT@E /  FT@Y   P3386

FT@J   L1847

FT@H  P3386

FT@U  P3784

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

If you go to this sticky thread on "12 o'clock high" RAF and RAAF pilot's Log Books on the net - Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum (12oclockhigh.net) The guy "JohnE" just might, I say just might be able to help you...

Steve

• Like 1

I am a guide at the Tangmere Miiltary Aviation Museum, where 'Tubby' Badger was based with 43 Sqdn. I'll see what info we might have there on the aircraft code.

John

• Like 4