Pink Pig - the other one...

This is Profil24's 1/24 Porsche 911 RSR from the 2018 Le Mans 24 Hours (that's quite a lot of "24s"). Two of the Manthey/factory 911 RSRs that year were given heritage colour schemes: one in Rothmans-type colours and the other (this one) replicating the infamous 'Pink Pig' 917/20. It's a lovely resin kit with a nice weight to it. Paint is Zero Paints' 911 Pink Pig colour and the rest is OOB.

001 (1)

001 (3)

001 (4)

001 (5)

001 (6)

001 (7)

001 (8)

001 (9)

001 (10)

• Like 17

5 hours ago, Paul D said:

Very nice work, you've certainly done the real thing justice.  Anything to watch out for when building the kit?

Cheers, Paul.

Yes! The instructions are a bit lacking. Mainly this is regarding decal placement (small 'Manthey Racing' decals aren't shown anywhere - one goes on the splitter but goodness knows where the other one is meant to be placed; some of the smaller 'Porsche/Porsche Design' ones are also not obvious on photos). Main one though is that there are quite a few photoetch parts which aren't shown on the instructions. In particular some very small ones (about 10 I think), which had me scratching my head. They look like small ovals with a recess; kind of like a c-shape. I now think they are placed at the bottom of the front radiator mesh where it meets the splitter. Only just thought about this so I'll check photos and put them on if I'm right.

Also the rear wing is moulded as a straight aerofoil where in reality the ends are turned down outboard of the wing supports. I made a simple jig that supported the middle section away from a hard surface by about 2mm, poured on hot water and forced the ends down until they cooled. Being resin it's an easy fix.

Oh and make sure you prime/sand the body before paint; there are minor imperfections in the body which will show up under paint. Not a massive issue but worth sorting.

But other than that it's a lovely kit. I've built three Profil24 kits so far; have another four in the stash and have put two more on pre-order. They aren't 'shake and bake' but I really like them.

Edited by Sabrejet
  • Like 1

That's another beauty off your bench - lovely Porker! :)

I really fancied getting the ''Rothmans'' version to display alongside a 956 - but I've had a kit and decals for the latter unused for years so guessed I'd never get round to it - and Profil kits are a bit expensive for stash fodder! 

So I'll content myself enjoying gorgeous models like yours!

Keith 

• Like 1