Black Cat accessories in 1/350 - working tips?

neilh

I've built up my nerves to finally start my 1/350 Trumpeter USS England converted to my Grandfathers Captain Class DE, HMS Rupert.  I'm reasonably accomplished in building 1/48th aircraft including short run, resin and etched brass extras, but this is a whole new experience for me. I have the White Ensign etched set from which I will certainly need the ladders, railing and some other parts, but I splashed out on a load of Black Cat resin accessories such as the guns, depth charge racks, searchlights etc as for example I a) don't fancy my chances of success folding the tiniest pieces of brass that make up the 3" guns and Oerlikons, even with my hold and fold tool, and b) they look too flat.  I read the instructions on line which are a tad basic, and once I can get a better set of magnifying glasses so I can even see the support rods, I will cut them off, but is it best to leave one and paint them all in one go by airbrush, or better to cut them off completely, stick to card or similar with white glue, paint and then cut them off to fit?  I bought and read several books about building ship models and have had a good read of in progress builds here but all advice is gratefully received as this a build for my 88 year old Dad and I don't want to stuff it up, and also want to get it built whilst he is still with us. If I get on OK with this one I may then stretch myself further and buy and build the resin kit of my Grandads previous destroyer, HMS Salisbury.

I personally aim to cut them off as much as possible and stick to some double sided tape, sometimes blu tack, and do in one go with the rest of the build (hull built up as much as possible etc). Also depends on if you need to paint both sides, e.g. floats, lifeboats etc. But to each their own, it's really whatever works for you, although I would say keep in mind how you will be able to get to areas to paint and if stuff will be in the way esp if fragile, needing different colours and minimising masking, and conversely needing to tidy up glue post painting (which I aim to keep to a minimum). Here's the parts to go onto my 1/700 Fletcher, ready for airbrushing (mast ladder needs installing first still) and then installing once that's all done (railing etc is kept on the etch with as much 'sprue' removed as possible):

20220513_120329.jpg?psid=1

Not a great example as the camo limits how much I can safely put on whilst avoiding my hands of doom rearranging the upperworks. I also try to limit painting sessions and do as much of one thing in one go,  but that's also to minimise fumes.

David

• Like 1

Hi Neil

I think David has covered what most of us would do.  I sometimes prime with the support rods in place OR remove and prime on a set up like Davids.  I use ordinary DIY maskking tap which I fold over at the ends and the stick down iin the middle with Tamiya tape

2021 11 29_3325

If there's ONE single item that I'd recommend for anyone over 50 it's one of these or something like it.  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Optivisor-1-75x-Handsfree-Magnifier-Visor/dp/B006BU26VY/ref=asc_df_B006BU26VY/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310864933873&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12832269143595252111&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006554&hvtargid=pla-586753703249&th=1

They come in differnet strengths - mine is +5 and I CANNoT model without it.  The outlay is high but once you get one you'll wonder how you managed without!

IMHO the one (and only) book yoou need is this

https://starling-models.co.uk/collections/books-and-magazines/products/modelling-naval-ships-in-small-scales-by-mike-mccabe

FWIW I prime most PE on the sprue nowadays before usign and then painting in the ships colour whilst attached.

Good luck with the build - hope you blog it - look forwards to seeing it and come back if you have any further queries

Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for those useful tips Gents. I am away this weekend but hope to make a start next week. I think I may have to invest in the Optivisor as all the others ones I have tried have been uncomfortable or incompatible with my varifocals. I tried using high magnification reading glasses for a while but they are OK for 1/48 aircraft but not for 1/350 naval gear!

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/05/2022 at 14:14, neilh said:

Thanks for those useful tips Gents. I am away this weekend but hope to make a start next week. I think I may have to invest in the Optivisor as all the others ones I have tried have been uncomfortable or incompatible with my varifocals. I tried using high magnification reading glasses for a while but they are OK for 1/48 aircraft but not for 1/350 naval gear!

I use a similar set of magnifying glasses to the optivisor which my wife gave me a couple of years ago.  Absolutely invaluable and work fine with my varifocals.  I would say they are essential for any ship modelling as these days the level of detail that people put in with aftermarket is impossible to see with the naked eye!

I ordered a set of optivisors over the weekend as I definitely need the help for ship modelling. To be fair I probably need them for 1/48th aircraft now.

• Like 1