QE2 Falklands refit

It's funny, I was just thinking how ugly she was. It's a good and interesting model, but an ugly shape for a ship. Beauty in the eye of the beholder and so on. I think ocean liners have been awfully uninspiring since the 1950's generation and the latest generation look worse than container ships. Perhaps all the beauty is on the inside?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:It's funny, I was just thinking how ugly she was. It's a good and interesting model, but an ugly shape for a ship. Beauty in the eye of the beholder and so on. I think ocean liners have been awfully uninspiring since the 1950's generation and the latest generation look worse than container ships. Perhaps all the beauty is on the inside?

I’ll agree with you on the lack of aesthetics of most modern shipping: I can remember the then-brand-new Spirit of Free Enterprise arriving at Dover for the first time (1979) and comparing her appearance unfavourably to a block of flats with funnels.  The subsequent generations of cross-Channel ferries have become progressively uglier as operators seek to minimise cost of ownership by ordering ships that are quick and cheap to build (e.g. minimal use of compound curves above the waterline), cheap to operate, quick to load and unload, plenty of internal volume for self-loading cargo to be separated from its money.  The ‘OFEs’ competitors from Sealink, St Anselm and St Christopher were no beauties either, but the “jumboised” FE ‘s, Free Enterprise V and Free Enterprise VII, plus the two jumboised Super Vikings, Viking Valiant and Viking Viscount IIRC took fugly to an entirely new level.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

It's funny, I was just thinking how ugly she was. It's a good and interesting model, but an ugly shape for a ship. 

Sorry - but I must respectfully disagree. Especially when in her full civil livery I think this ship is a stunner.

Anyway, each to their own. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

in her full civil livery

I just had a look at her without the helicopter decks and Im happy to concede that she was a lot prettier than I remembered, particularly when photographed from low down at the bows, emphasising the sheer.

• Like 3

Are there any ocean liners left beside the QM2?  The rest are cruise ships as I can recall.

nice to see the Falkland QE2 built. I planned to do one in the past, perhaps I even started on it.

Well adding helicopter platforms to it didn't improve the look of the ship.

qe2c.JPG

But I like the look of QE2. I even built the 1/1200 kit while crossing the Atlantic on her.

• Like 2

On 14/05/2022 at 23:24, Orso said:

Are there any ocean liners left beside the QM2?  The rest are cruise ships as I can recall.

That’s my understanding -  not that I follow these matters closely. It always upsets me when the media call cruise ships ‘ocean liners’ and vice-versa.

That’s really cool that you built that model while on-board the ship. 

Very nice!

She a good looking ship.  Even the QM2 looks good from certain angles although I agree a lot the modern ships look like an office building has been stuck on top of the hull sideways.  But the QE2 had a certain elegance.

• Thanks 1