Tamiya 1/35 Achilles - Finished

31 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Always good to try out a new technique or approach,  or so I've been told....

I don't know what I'll do to fill my days when I get bored with modelmaking. I'll try anything to keep it going.

• Like 2

Hi Bertie. Great to see you have another build in progress already!! And it looks, with your usual attention to the details, that this is going to be another superb project. Lovely job! :thumbsup:

Kind regards, 

Stix

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I don't know what I'll do to fill my days when I get bored with modelmaking. I'll try anything to keep it going.

It isn't fun, I left in 2005 after building non stop for 26 years. I had a couple other hobbies but they're more expensive than models so only got to enjoy them at random intervals. I wound up listening to a lot of music and watching a lot of vintage movies from the 30’s-60’s. I thank my wife for getting me into modeling again in 2014. Though she regrets it a little now as we have less space than we did then. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

It isn't fun, I left in 2005 after building non stop for 26 years. I had a couple other hobbies but they're more expensive than models so only got to enjoy them at random intervals. I wound up listening to a lot of music and watching a lot of vintage movies from the 30’s-60’s. I thank my wife for getting me into modeling again in 2014. Though she regrets it a little now as we have less space than we did then. 

My longest time out from modelling ran from the birth of the kids for about 14 years. For ten years of that I was a single parent, still in the RAF with a full time job and additional duties as required, and getting a part time university degree while they were sleeping. I honestly wasn't bored. 🤣🤣🤣🤪🤪😱

I returned to the hobby when a work colleague bought me a Secret Santa joke present of a 1/48 Revell Hurricane. I haven't stuck solidly to it since but I've rarely taken more than a couple of years off at a time.

• Like 3

I may be getting a little carried away with loading up my M10.

y4mGlZ1laSGpi7SwaB8_PS4J_KzQvimUFQ1288Ik

More armour! The 'rebar' sticking up is there to a.) suggest some form of attachment and b.) give me something to hang packs and helmets etc from.

y4mci-8cofYDaoNfaNALLSDN3cV-RwqvFH8oz_C_

"Any old iron, any old iron, any any any old iron!" The purpose of this lot is to provide mysterious shapes underneath a big green tarpaulin.

y4moq30WwBputWjUWTh6_aaTtUN4ekpckwaAvkG2

Thuswise.

y4mddR5O4NA1JxsEmkcY42PWtR_vVnb0Sy7gmfPO

The additional ironwork has been liberated from a variety of sources, including a military museum...

y4m20EtHzFK-3cTYMhAnrirYJS1eauFwI0vywIqG

Rebar cut down to sensible lengths, tommy gun in place for rearward defence, .50 cal mount moved to front right corner of the turret where it was of most use. That, at least was a common in service mod.

y4mfMITGJIq8TfnVSJ-lVFl2x8aCG4T5WswefWms

Some of the mysterious cargo is peeping out mysteriously. Jerry can rack from Evergreen strip.

As I said before this may be neither historically accurate nor easy to paint but it's fun! 🤪

• Like 7

y4mWsiKBoVl5rWze2iPmdiXxs7USGeYIyNNlzSAc  y4m3GH6ZK3-0cse4yTEqLFhdWvbQXmTa6_Hsyoy9  y4m2dPIdv8ywBQ6pL3gBzVaP78dGwWR-nHUUCtQm

What fantastic poses Tamiya have modelled and the fit of the parts is as good as Games Workshop - perfect! Of course, just like GW figures that makes them very difficult to customise but you can't have everything.

These photos remind me of an English tribute version of the Village People. "It's fun to stay at the Union Jack Club..."🎶

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Blade2009 said:

Hi Bertie I didn't notice that you had started another build, but it is looking superb with all the extra armour you have added.

Thanks. I said before the GB started that I'd do the Achilles as well but the Lee made me tired of the type for a few weeks. There's still lots of time left though so I decided to get the job done proper! 

23 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

This stuff is transparent so I don't really know what I've primed!

23 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I've primed the metal tarpaulin, probably.

🤣

• Haha 1

Hi Bertie. Wow! You are making impressive progress with this. 

On 20/05/2022 at 18:39, Bertie Psmith said:

but it's fun! 🤪

And that's exactly how it should be!!

Kind regards,

Stix

56 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

You are making impressive progress with this. 

I hate to say it because it seems like sucking up to the host, but I’m rather inspired by your ridiculously good 1/48 diorama. 1/48! It shouldn’t be allowed!  

• Haha 1

y4m9JS6orAKAk2Tp4ye1xFXUtjXhWxha_lcZc7YH

So there we were, extremely base coated.

y4mErIIugxVV4XM83mHVaXen84LKyEzF2iXo-AoZ

It broke down into eight components for painting.

y4ma7DHfM38Jw8fxxBguxM-hsXrTSthghqV44gJM

I started with the figures because I usually do these last.

y4mJgkFfjg43IM4sXJ7ST4OfnDlxGNBdOquOb1zz

They are unfinished but I realised that I'd got the brightness way wrong. They are far too dark throughout so I'll be redoing much of this.

y4mfaHPV4XR5WEdkrGJHhOgdaczAgHXE2zYdu2Et

Then I mixed up some mud and applied it to the undercarriage. Why? It was totally dumb to do that before painting the details like the applique armour, tarps etc. Now I'll have to paint around the mud - impossible. Or paint over it and then reapply mud, somehow matching the colour of this strange blend of half a dozen tubes of acrylic - also impossible.

So I went grocery shopping. After zooming around the supermarket, I unpacked my shopping from the trolley, wheeled it to the parking area and left it there with a bag-for-life, my shopping list and a decent pen still inside. How could I not notice? I only realised what I'd done when I'd driven home!

There's something going on in my subconscious. I'm sabotaging myself at every turn. Could I be punishing myself for showing off on the boat build? I think that's quite likely. So, time to back away from the desk and go read a book for the rest of the day.  

Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.

• Like 3

After a break I resumed painting the way I used to years ago - having fun with colours.

y4meYpPekRTQXcT8oETy7rbgLXgaJmTbR1cTycAj

Not finished yet. And not as difficult as I expected, even with the mud getting in the way a bit.

y4muPejLpkaKUSz9D-gVE7eW8v9HLC0cKXhsE5Jo

Yes, I know it's not very good, but it was entertaining and stress free once I got down to it.

y4mvivc_sf3CxAR8-CLDCtaz6EgAEep3YD5FhL-A

I do like the filthy exhaust and the tarp.

y4mY0HOGhbAYt_BTZ6qrziJChAJKMEEkLaC2y0MA

Can you guess now, where the crew found the extra armour plate? Somewhere in northern France there's a small village wondering what the hell happened to their war memorial.

Before you comment, remember that it's not finished yet and so far I haven't touched pigments, oils or enamels. However, don't hold back if you have any suggestions. I've run out of ideas at the moment! Time for supper and beddy-byes.

• Like 5

All done.

y4mVW87UGXmCmV2eCsjxqwlv-qBePNkXj8kvUemi

y4mGV81JEbnQH5QQSyoETddZaPRthnb-e9o4SEtm

y4mVW87UGXmCmV2eCsjxqwlv-qBePNkXj8kvUemi

y4mhbyhnYwhDsXHiA_G7vOV7JlVWv8i8pnULuC97

y4mTwvY7Enx3XZ-7Xj1PwiRF-Cif9OQxdJhYErur

y4mWG7JF9Hid9ofes_tRAA4J3CqigRh6iMi_-0j9

y4m1qBO0PVqIhlFelXrLN9_0_GZc5NohszeRzdzo

y4mxwGpMQ3WS2pFKs9g_Di7X59WNlV9jlKRRSTL-

It's far from brilliant but, to be honest, finishing it to this standard was something of a surprise to me. My interest in the build was never high and rushing it, by assembling everything and then painting everything was about the only way to spread a teaspoon of mojo over a large slice of model. I'm pleased with it. It's not that bad and has secured a place in the display cabinet at least until Christmas.

I'm extra pleased to have done both of the models that I offered to when this GB was in its gestation stage. I think @PlaStix had doubts that I could do it but that's probably because he thought I'd be working as carefully and well as he does! Turns out that I'm a bit of a bodge-jobber which gives me a bit of an advantage when it comes to churning them out at speed. 🤣

It took me six sessions or approximately 15 hours, most of that time was fun and nothing was really unpleasant. Thanks Tamiya, for another one of your very good and easy to build kits.

• Like 9

On 25/05/2022 at 22:03, Bertie Psmith said:

Can you guess now, where the crew found the extra armour plate? Somewhere in northern France there's a small village wondering what the hell happened to their war memorial 

And I thought it was Picasso lending a hand....

Very nicely done Bertie, particularly considering the time scale!

I'd tried foil before and it just didn't work for me, whereas here it looks great! 

Funny how a number of these Achillies crews all had a similar look, must be down to the trained stance!

Great work

• Thanks 1

Hi Bertie! Fantastic result in such a short time and I'm really pleased you had fun with it. That's exactly what this hobby should be about! Very well done. It looks great in the Gallery. :thumbsup:

Thank you for building it in this GB. 

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Funny how a number of these Achillies crews all had a similar look, must be down to the trained stance!

They are quite nice figures for Tamiya, Far better than their old wooden poses.