Kit recommendations? 144 scale

Adam Poultney

Hi all, 

I'm looking for kit recommendations in 1/144 scale. I've already got what seems like half a million v Bombers, and of course I'll be building plenty more there's no lack of motivation there, but I think I'd like to branch out a bit. 

I recently got an Academy B47 and a Roden Super VC10, which in keeping with my usual style of build I plan to chop and change the model to build a VC10 C1 transport (not the C1K tanker) from, pending further research into how to go about doing so. Both kits look really good and I'm quite looking forward to building them, but I'm stuck on what to build after those.

So, has anyone built a kit in 1/144 scale that you really enjoyed recently, or one that looks really good when finished even if the build was difficult? I can handle a short run kit so those are very much on the table for ideas. Anything I can stick an RAF roundel on, or has good potential for conversions would be great.

Amodel makes some excellent 1/144 kits, but they will demand modelling skills. I've built their HU-16 and CL-415. They also have a CL-215. I have their Lancaster in the stash--it's supposed to be the best in the scale. Their Comet has some issues; Welsh Models makes a correction.

Revell's E-2C is quite nice. RoG has a SpaceShipTwo and WhiteKnightTwo combo. 

Minicraft are hit and miss. The C-130 is supposed to be good--I have one in the stash along with decals for a civil version.

Fujimi is the best B-29, but the prop hubs are rectangular?!?

Roden has been doing quite a bit of large 1/144 aircraft. Their C-47 is head and shoulders above the Minicraft thing.

The new Academy B-1 is quite good according to RFIs on this forum.

Sweet and Platz have very nice kits, too.

There's a new B-52 out, don't recall the maker offhand.

15 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

Amodel makes some excellent 1/144 kits, but they will demand modelling skills. I've built their HU-16 and CL-415. They also have a CL-215. I have their Lancaster in the stash--it's supposed to be the best in the scale. Their Comet has some issues; Welsh Models makes a correction.

The Comet sounds tempting, I don't see the Welsh Models correction though. 

I was looking at a Comet 1 kit the other day, a later Comet would probably be my preference

Edited by Adam Poultney

53 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

The Comet sounds tempting, I don't see the Welsh Models correction though. 

I was looking at a Comet 1 kit the other day, a later Comet would probably be my preference

It's their CV-57 kit, which includes a vac fuselage and decals for Aerolíneas Argentinas LV-AHU. I must have bought it from a show as I don't have any online purchase records.

4 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

It's their CV-57 kit, which includes a vac fuselage and decals for Aerolíneas Argentinas LV-AHU. I must have bought it from a show as I don't have any online purchase records.

Not currently showing as available 

All good suggestions. Eduard started doing some in their 'super 44' range. Recently almost finished their fw190d9 which in terms of fit, detail and crisp moulding was very impressive. Mark I make some nice kits, they're a bit more limited run but good subjects. You might also want to check out 144th who make resin kits of post war British jets. 

There's also beacon models, a new company starting out with BoB subjects.

How about the Roden Britannia? I build their C-133 recently as well, nice kit that builds up into a pretty impressive model, but it'll need to be a WHIF if you want to put RAF roundels on it!

On 5/13/2022 at 8:01 PM, upnorth said:

They reissued Revell's 1/144 Hawker Hunter as a two seat trainer and it's as much a gem of a kit as Revell's original single seater.

Yes, Revell's Hunter FGA.9 really is a gem - if you can find one nowadays.

Not quite your key area of interest but the Eduard Ju.52 should be mentioned: it is also available (at least on ebay) in Revell boxes.  Another source, if with limited RAF interest, is FToys.  As you've probably gathered by now, there is a wide range of 1/144 aircraft and perhaps a more restricted request might have been more helpful.  Especially as you can also get 1/144 ships and a wide range of AFVs.  N gauge railway products could also be considered.

How about a Roden Britannia and Amodel Comet with 26decals?

c55.jpg

I hacked my Comet about a bit as the kit is slightly under scale, but wouldn't bother doing it again, I'd just build straight from the box. The Britannia is a delight to build though.

[Edit] Just remembered the Mikro-Mir Beverley and Minicraft Herk too. [/Edit]

bev10.jpg

HTH

John