***finished***Airfix Kate

Might be tempting fate as might find the kit has been sold in an hour or so, but in need of a mojo boost, and what better than my bread and butter, a single engined airfix new tool. One I've done before unsuccessfully back at the end of 2016 as part of the Pearl Harbour 75th set, was told the Kate should have a blotchy finish and I made pigs ear of it and it became a Kamikaze. This time it will be the simple plain green/grey from the regular boxing.  Will post pics of the Zero and P-40B I did finish later, this won't be a Pearl Harbour one as thats also got a blotchy paint job. 

67308P1010014.JPG

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 3

• PhantomBigStu changed the title to Completing the set (sort of): Airfix Kate
8 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Might be tempting fate as might find the kit has been sold in an hour or so, but in need of a mojo boost, and what better than my bread and butter, a single engined airfix new tool. One I've done before unsuccessfully back at the end of 2016 as part of the Pearl Harbour 75th set, was told the Kate should have a blotchy finish and I made pigs ear of it and it became a Kamikaze. This time it will be the simple plain green/grey from the regular boxing.  Will post pics of the Zero and P-40B I did finish later, this won't be a Pearl Harbour one as thats also got a blotchy paint job. 

67308P1010014.JPG

Hi Stu,

Certainly there is a body of evidence suggesting that the Kates at Pearl Harbor had a patchy camo scheme of green applied over their base colour which often was grey, perhaps the browner Nakajima version known as Ameiro. However there is also some evidence of the the base colour on at least some being silver/NMF. I built my second Hasegawa kit as a well known machine which took part in the campaign in the Indian Ocean just after the attack on Pearl

kate 002-crop

It is difficult to know if the green was deliberately patchy or if, as often happened with Japanese planes, it was a thin single coat rapidly applied without due preparation and promptly peeled off - maybe even a combination of the two.

I have never built the Airfix kit or should I say kits so I will watch with interest.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

welcome along Stu, and a nice looking model you have bought along to.

are the dreaded Mojo slump, we all seem to get it, but the good thing is it just takes one nice model to recharge the Mojo!

Good luck with the build, hope this build is the one that does it.

Thanks for the info @PeterB. In the end up I’ve just taken the digital patches for D1 and D2 green from Ak interactive website and compared to the greens to watch I’ve got and think I’ve got matches for both. Should be me done for questions now edit: maybe not just a confirmation on the Grey, is it the darker J3 SP or the paler regular J3? Got matches for both just only got the former in stock.

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Stu,

Just noticed your question about the grey - as I used NMF I cannot be sure, but the normally it was quite a light grey - I sometime use Tamiya IJN grey and sometimes Gunze for a change, and compared with the JAAF grey it maybe has a very slight bluish tint rather than green, but of course Nakajima used a brown/amber shade of grey on their Zeros and maybe on Kates as well. Having said that I have Just looked at an article in Scale Aircraft Modelling Vol 21 number 12 and they say that whilst Zero's and Vals definitely were grey all over (though some Vals may have had local variations on upper surface camo I think), it is hard to establish if the Kates were grey at all. Certainly many had green uppers, and in the cases of those on Hiryu and Soryu they may then have had patches of brown added, but their consensus seems to be that they retained NMF underneath. Meanwhile Scale Aircraft Modelling International Volume 5 Number 6 is adamant that the Kates were in a version of Ameiro that was almost a mustard colour, with green on the upper surfaces - so two totally different versions, the first from 1999 and the second from 2000 and both articles are specifically about Pearl Harbor! As to the green, then it is hard to tell in your photo but it looks a bit on the grey side to me.

Go with what you feel happy with.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

Cheers Peter, if I had actually bothered to look at the instructions I would have had it answered, is indeed J3 SP which I’ve got what I think is a decent version on this Dinah.  Now to find a better green 312-B0-B82-7-E2-C-400-F-B5-F7-6-EBE857-A 

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 4

I take it Airfix are still saying Hu116 US Dark Green over Hu168 Hemp? That would be pretty close to the SAMI take on it.

Pete

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Canopies went on fine yesterday…for the two that don’t have a rapidly approaching deadline, load of hassle and the framings not actually done but least what went wrong has been corrected and I shall do the framing later once the decals and matt varnish are sorted CBCFC254-9-F3-A-4505-B74-B-63336301-E5-E

• Like 2

• PhantomBigStu changed the title to ***finished***Airfix Kate

Well done Stu on completing her, just been looking at the rest of the photos in the gallery and she looks awesome, you must be proud of this build.

You are part of the furniture in the GB's and it's alway a real pleasure to have you along for the fun, again well done. :thumbsup:

• Like 2