Hasegawa N1k2-J 1/72

stevehnz

This will be pretty much OOB, the first Japanese subject I've built since I got back into modelling, I'm particularly taken by the way they shaped the cowls on their later radial engined fighters but I think this one will do for this GB.

DSCF3418

I've started by gluing a couple of cockpits bit together then realised I had no IJN cockpit colour, waiting now on a bottle of XF71.

Steve.

• Like 8

Hi Steve,

A nice simple kit - I have built a couple over the years, together with a short run (MPM?) N1KJ-1 with the original high wing. The box art is interesting as it appears to show the use of the so called "Combat Flaps" to improve manoeuvrability, and that reminded me of something!

Whilst up in my roof a couple of days ago I stumbled across this,

DSC06625-crop

After getting the Revell Ki-43, Ki-61 and Ki-84 in the 1960's I was on the lookout for a Ki-44 and in the early 1970's stumbled across this which must be my first ever Tamiya kit! The Shoki was completely different to previous JAAF fighters as it was heavy and had relatively small wings as it was meant to a fast climbing interceptor, but to keep the pilots happy it incorporated small "butterfly" flaps which could be used in combat (or so I have read). Tamiya released this in 1964 according to Scalemates, though mine was a 1970 boxing, and they included "working" flaps. If I am reading it correctly it was one of the first batch of 1/72 aircraft they ever released - the others being a Zero, Frank and George, all in the same year.

DSC06627-crop

The fit was not up to the standards we have come to expect from Tamiya these days as there is quite a gap at the rear wing/fuselage joint and with the flaps open you can see up into the cockpit, but it was pretty good for the time it was moulded. Clearly another case of the Japanese obsession with blue nav lights on the starboard wing - you will probably have that on the instructions for your George as well!

Good luck with your build.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 5

welcome along Steve, nice to have you along.

Hasegawa seems to be a popular choice for 1/72nd fighters as they are such nice models.

I hope it's a nice build for you and look forward to seeing this one in the galley.

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry for the hiatus here chaps, life & another GB on ATF getting in the way, the last couple of days have seen some action though now, with a bit of luck I can get the interior finished tomorrow & some wings on. I was amused after getting a bottle of XF-71 Interior green to find how close it is to RAF interior grey-green

DSCF3456

Steve.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, trickyrich said:

Great to see you've managed to make a start of her Steve. :thumbsup:

Thanks Rich, with about 7 weeks to go I reckon I can pull this off with time to spare but then again, this is me we're talking about, look out for a panic session as August dawns. :D

Steve.

• Haha 4

• 1 month later...

Right, 22nd July already, I'm away till the 25th, that is not far off August dawning, must be time to panic. 😮

I have made some progress since last update, fuselage is together, wing halves together, but not attached to fuselage, so, all in all, I reckon I can still get there. 🤞

Steve 

• Like 1

probably not quite time too really panic yet Steve...... I'll let everyone know when to really panic!!  :D

Hopefully you'll get to complete her in time....just give up sleeping! 

• Haha 1

On 7/24/2022 at 12:01 PM, trickyrich said:

I'll let everyone know when to really panic!!

On 7/24/2022 at 12:01 PM, trickyrich said:

.just give up sleeping! 

In the spirit of not panicking & getting some sleep, I've managed a bit of time on it after getting home on Monday from dodging flooded & snow bound parts of the South Island, bloody stupid time of the year to go traipsing around the countryside imho. <_< 

It looks like a whole (almost) aircraft now, I just love the cowls on these, such beautiful tin bashing to create those shapes. Hopefully get some paint on in the next couple of days.

DSCF3459

Steve.

• Like 5

I'm not panicking, there has been progress & I can see the end in sight I reckon, some touching up tomorrow, decals on Friday, (the fuselage stripes of my chosen subject give me the willies just thinking about them. 😮 ) apart from that, I've a couple of days up my sleeve. No worries eh? :D 

DSCF3461

Steve.

• Like 3

Calling it done now, did decaling yesterday & gave it a satin varnish today, pretty happy with how it came out, almost entirely painted in Tamiya paints, topside is XF-11 & underside is XF-12. Getting the hang of brushing the Tamiya enamels was a challenge to begin with but once I figured that thinned & painted without mucking around & retracing my steps too much it came right. A couple of shots to be going on with then some photos tomorrow with some day light hopefully, given the forecast, look like I'll be raiding some bedsides for their lamps. :( Gallery entry here.

DSCF3467

DSCF3466

Steve.

• Like 2

Very nice Steve, well done!!!  :thumbsup:

Even in the gloom of the Sth island :D she still looks really nice, you should be very happy with the results. For a paint job with a hairy stick that's a great bit of work, well done.

Well thanks for joining the build, I hope it was a nice ones, was a pleasure as always to have you join us.

PS let us know if you need more lamps!!! 🤣

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, trickyrich said:

PS let us know if you need more lamps!!! 🤣

That bit gets a :D , it was a pretty decent day in fact so I'll get off my chuff & get some better snaps up. 

Thanks for the kind words too, always nice to have. :)

Steve.