1/35 SAS Land Rover "Pink Panther"

17 minutes ago, Heart Failure said:

Yes, I have loads of detailed shot but was told off before that I post so many so hence uploaded just this one.

It looks very good and I'm interested to see more, should you change your mind.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Heart Failure said:

Yes, I have loads of detailed shot but was told off before that I post so many so hence uploaded just this one.

Strange, being told off for posting pictures in the RFI section ? 
How weird. 

3 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

Strange, being told off for posting pictures in the RFI section ? 
How weird. 

Agree, I was also told I consume a lot of bandwidth which I have no idea with. I have to find out myself (how to do it) and adjust all my photo when posting here via Imgur. No issues with me being told off as that's the rules. I can post all the 50 photos of the build not including the full WIP, I can also post few pics but just decided to post one. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well I'm guilty of posting hundreds of photos, probably thousands by now.  Sometimes several per post and dozens per build.  No-one has ever told me off.  So that does seem a little odd.

I don't reduce my photo size and they're taken with many-Mp cameras, although I only use jpeg file format not RAW etc.  But we're still talking images of several Mb each.  I use Imgur for hosting but there's a lot of other crap on there.  I recently came across Hobby Photo Host at http://www.hobbyphotohost.com and might give that a go.  It is apparently dedicated to hobbyists of all flavours.

I do often use the simple Imgur edit function to crop out extraneous background etc, which does of course reduce the file size.  I also sometimes reduce the size they appear in the post (right click, edit image).  Not everything needs to fill a screen.  Especially not with the quality of my work.......

As for the model, I like the colour.  This is often-debated and no restored examples are original.  Most were later passed to the SAS TA and repainted IRR green and black.  I was lucky enough to get a picture under the bonnet of a really nice Pinkie at Hereford when I was briefly involved in procuring SF light mobility assets.  This showed the original quite pale factory colour.  And yes I uploaded this one full-size.

spacer.png

If I have a criticism it is that Pinkies generally operated in dusty rather than muddy areas.  The classic original environment is the Dhofar area of Oman, over towards the Yemen border.  It doesn't rain here much.  Having been there I can confirm that it is very dusty.  Oman is blessed with sands and gravels of many shades and granularity.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Heart Failure said:

that is an interesting comment. By whom?

Since Britmodeller does not host the images displayed in the posts and the image data comes directly from the photo hosting site the bandwidth used is between the end user viewing the image on the web page and not between the end user and Britmodeller  - or is my limited understanding of how everything is inter connected faulty?  I have noticed at times that images from some photo hosting sites do take some time to load but the cause is the photo hosting site being slow not Britmodeller. 

In any case, very nicely done. I would like to see some more detailed pictures. 

cheers, Graham

2 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

As for the model, I like the colour.  This is often-debated and no restored examples are original. 

At this remove cannot swear to any exact shade but on exercise in Sharjah in January 1973 there were a few 'Pinkies' held in an open sided hangar on the airfield which were in those surroundings rather vibrant and very different from the sand coloured Landrovers and Bedfords we were using.     By coincidence I had picked up the then current copy of Military Modelling Magazine to read on the train journey down to Lyneham for our flight which had an article on them and the modeller there I believe had received either some paint or at least some advice from official sources so they were not such a great a shock to the system.

About ten years later I picked up a Military & Aviation Book Club 'offer of the month' on armies in the Gulf area and saw that troops from at least one of the Gulf States wore similar coloured uniform shirts in what was described as 'the operational area'. 

I think it depends on the hosting platform if the picture size is reduced when linked to BM. Flickr, for instance, offers different sizes before you link them. I usually reduce my photos to 1920 x ... because that's more than enough for good detail. This re-sizing is easily done with any photo software, e.g. MS (old) Picture Manager. Large photos take some time to show up on BM, that's inconvenient for the onlooker.

Superb model anyway!

Ok guys, I will upload in batch. This build is mainly to show how an old kit can be improved with minimal aftermarket. Painting is a simple approach with wash, filter and highlights. The pink colour was difficult to weather that its very effective in nullifying the sand pigments (blends to it) without overdoing it. So I rely on "artistic" license to give it a life. This is to give the model a more interesting and fun visual effect. This is not in anyways accurate. I know a lot of you here are experts in their fields and I respect that. I'm just having fun with scale modelling. Please note that a very kind modeller politely and respectfully pointed out to me that the in-service colour of a British ammo can during this time is brown instead of green. I have yet to correct the colour but greatly appreciate his help.

HPFZiq5.jpg

RTeEee7.jpg

Hhxso57.jpg

1VOMuu9.jpg

oUgDEzJ.jpg

CRPGkV6.jpg

0DPudTi.jpg

yIqXhAK.jpg?1

bh6ECXM.jpg?1

Es8icsw.jpg?1

• Like 11

The next several photos includes the walk around of the build. Again the build is base on the reference I have, the limitations of my skills and painting ability. This is not in any means accurate.....this is a model and I'm not an expert.

fwXRFJq.jpg?1

vTSktcm.jpg?1

1ORKZba.jpg?1

PWZDO5d.jpg?1

5rz3vBJ.jpg?1

rTCuGsn.jpg?1

lBRbCCy.jpg?1

oQuX7du.jpg?1

• Like 8

Last batch. If you guys are also interested in the WIP, I can also upload photos here. So there you go, this is the build. Again please do not think this is an accurate model. If I have some errors and limitation please understand I'm not an expert. This also goes out to the painting of the model. It is not an accurate representation of the actual vehicle but just my own personal interpretation. I appreciate all the help, positive criticism and constructive feed back to help me on my next project. Thanks and enjoy the completed build.

hjPvd7H.jpg?1

ke2i2NY.jpg?1

HdobAQQ.jpg?2

U8XXzZF.jpg?1

85GmPE7.jpg?1

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Heart Failure said:

+++ Again the build is base on the reference I have, the limitations of my skills and painting ability. This is not in any means accurate.....this is a model and I'm not an expert. +++

Maybe. But presented with the choice to either quarrel about details (tire profile, paint/no paint on caps of smoke dischargers and seats, shade of tarpaulin, absence/presence of license plates ...) or enjoy your build, I chose: "How on Earth can you dare to show us so many picutures of this?" 😁 and above that: "Where are the pics of the car's back and the underside?"

Being unable to judge the acuracy, it just looks great to me.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Jochen Barett said:

Maybe. But presented with the choice to either quarrel about details (tire profile, paint/no paint on caps of smoke dischargers and seats, shade of tarpaulin, absence/presence of license plates ...) or enjoy your build, I chose: "How on Earth can you dare to show us so many picutures of this?" 😁 and above that: "Where are the pics of the car's back and the underside?"

Being unable to judge the acuracy, it just looks great to me.

Absolutely spot on Jochen. I just forgot to take photo of the rear and underchassis, silly me! After all that photos. Hehehehe. It is what it is and I accept defeat.  I just missed the day when we just appreciates once hard work and understand the  limits of ones self. Hence I have to says that its not accurate (construction and painting) wish i knew everything and aim for perfection but I just can't. Like I said whatever expert says of my build I have to appreciate it. I don't want to offend people and miss lead them of my poor representation of the subject. I'm not also here to impress by any means. I just wanted to share my work and my limitations of the build. We get into this hobby just to have some fun and learn a few things along the way, I for one still appreciate the knowledge here. 

Kind regards,

Raphael

Edited by Heart Failure
  • Like 1

On 13/5/2022 at 11:35, Dads203 said:

Extraño, ¿ser regañado por publicar fotos en la sección RFI? 
Que raro. 

Hi Dads203,

It may be strange, but no less true, in my case, with the MENG T-10M topic, which I made and published photos of the real model, white background, and black background (I think 47 at first), the first comment, very nice, but 47 photos?!!!...
There was no mood of criticism, but it is still a somewhat unfortunate and discouraging comment.

I thought it was something positive for the one who is going to make a similar model as a reference of what to do and what not to do, with the added work of taking more photos and that they look good, and, surprise, it is not as good as it seemed. ..

I could put here the user who did it and the 5 or 6 who agreed with it, but since I don't want controversy, I invite you or anyone else who feels alluded to, to see the topic, and judge for yourself. .

With regard to the weight of the photos, likewise, I had to reduce resolution, because they also warned me that they weighed too much, the Administrator and some users, who consumed a lot of data... well, nothing, to reduce weight/quality... ..although a reasonable balance can still be found...unless you only use a smartphone or tablet, well, if it's a desktop monitor, you'd already see the pixelation when zooming.
Interestingly, we have to host the photos somewhere external, but I still think the forum space is limited.

Nothing to object if those are the rules, one decides whether or not he is interested in accessing the forum, respecting them, of course.

What does bother me is that because of the comments I see below, not everyone is perceived in the same way... and I wonder, why me?....

Since then, I publish as few photos as possible to feel comfortable with my work, only black background, and I lighten them to publish them, to avoid more comments/warnings by Staff or users...

Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

• Like 1

Hi Heart Failure,

An excellent oldie, although it is a soft, it is full of details, which I love, because it gives it a lot of personality, and they are very well executed.
I was also warned for posting too many photos (47), and like you, also for excessive weight, so I'm trying to post less (more than 1...lol) and lighten them up for publication.
It was a shame to miss so many details of your work, which in your case, if there are no close-up shots, it would be very difficult to appreciate as it deserves.
Cheers and TC
Francis.

Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, FrancisGL said:

Hi Heart Failure,

An excellent oldie, although it is a soft, it is full of details, which I love, because it gives it a lot of personality, and they are very well executed.
I was also warned for posting too many photos (47), and like you, also for excessive weight, so I'm trying to post less (more than 1...lol) and lighten them up for publication.
It was a shame to miss so many details of your work, which in your case, if there are no close-up shots, it would be very difficult to appreciate as it deserves.
Cheers and TC
Francis.

Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

Hi Francis,

First off thank you! Like you I have the same situation which I find strange and that was the exact situation I'm in though its been a while. I tried to look for that thread but got tired of sieving through and at the end I just gave up. Its not really important for me to show it here just to prove to the rest that i'm not losing my mind. I seldom post as I don't build plastic kit that much now. After all I'm so busy in the last  2 1/2 years trying to save lives with the pandemic and looking after my family.  I genuinely posted 1 photo to share my work as I posted too much photo's before and guess what, I was criticized the same as you! I was just sharing my work and was proud of it even if its not 100% accurate though i always try to challenge myself.  I know not all will like what I have done but thats just how the world spins I guess.  Its seems the more you do the less people appreciate your hard work hence I posted one photo and still got the same response (just one?) I know its my own doing but I too have a reason why I post one photo. Anyways, fellow modellers ask for more pictures so I guess I have the excuse to post so many. I promise I went to Imgur and down size it as instructed and as far as I know how to do the process. Well back to saving lives now.

Best wishes,

Raphael

Edited by Heart Failure
  • Thanks 1