NATO 75 Years GB Chat

You can add me with both a US and UK flag (I have both passports) and I might well build something for each.

Too many to choose from to specify right now, but plenty of options in the stash. 

If I had to pick right now, I'd say TSR.2 and B-47, classic cold war stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drdjp11 said:

You can add me with both a US and UK flag (I have both passports) and I might well build something for each.

Welcome! You got the flag of the Netherlands but as said earlier, they are there just to add colour 🙂. V-P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

Not sure how this slipped under my radar but hope that I may be allowed to partake from the Antipodes,there is a something from either Belgium, Denmark, Germany or Norway able to be done.

Steve.

Welcome and no worries Steve, still plenty of time before the take-off! I'm sure you wrote that "either-or" accidentally instead of "and" :giggle:. V-P

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Not sure how this slipped under my radar but hope that I may be allowed to partake from the Antipodes,there is a something from all of Belgium, Denmark, Germany or Norway able to be done.

I fixed your typo for you...  :wicked: 

• Haha 11

On 9/14/2022 at 12:58 PM, Chrisj2003 said:

Isn't that a lot of the fun, buying a kit, researching and planning to build it in a certain scheme, and then buying another kit for another scheme, and the you come to a GB and you decide to buy yet another kit…..

Chris 

Please don’t encourage me! I’ve enough kits in the stash to last the rest of my natural. No more.  

Mind you my allocated flag (Sweden) still has to join formally, and I’m not sure I’ve got anything suitable for a 2020s Sweden!! 🤔

• Haha 1

On 9/13/2022 at 11:15 PM, Enzo Matrix said:

I feel this is a historically important subject, which should be exempt from the usual Bunfight. Therefore  am making an executive decision. 

This GB will run from 4 April 2024 to 28 July 2024.

Good call, Enzo.👍

Cheers, Stefan.

• Thanks 1

I just took another look at page 1 and saw I've got a flag next to my name - then had to find out what it is! North Macedonia. Turns out I've got decals already, but not the kit, for a Macedonian Mi-24V in a rather attractive colour scheme. Just got a year and a half to get round to buying the kit!

• Like 2

Bom dia, V-P.

This has passed me by too. 

I see that Portugal is the last place. We have chums there and always holiday there, and please put me down for a Portugese Fiat G.91.

Obrigado.

Alan(oa)

• Like 2

I notice that a lot of people are planning projects for the flags they have been "assigned".   Let me just point out that your "assignment" is not obligatory.  V-P did that to provide a bit of colour to the list.  But it seems that you lot have really joined in with the spirit of this GB and are embracing your "assignments".  :thumbsup: 

As group build moderator, I have to stay neutral and not declare any support for a groupbuild until they become a fixture on the calender.  This one is already a fixture so I can now declare my interest.

@vppelt68  what flag do I get assigned?  

Just so you know...   I'll be building my assigned flag plus at least one more...   :) 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

a lot of people are planning projects for the flags they have been "assigned"

It takes a lot of the indecision out of it! In my case it's partly because I doubt North Macedonia is going to be high up anyone else's build list, and I also doubt I'll have another reason to build anything from there any time soon, so it seems like a good idea.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

@vppelt68  what flag do I get assigned?  

Just so you know...   I'll be building my assigned flag plus at least one more...   :) 

Sorted! Just by pure luck you got the Union Jack - or was it luck or careful timing :hmmm:. The forum software doesn't know the flag of NATO, I tried to add that first :giggle:

Welcome! V-P

I’m allocated the Turkish flag and will build ONE OF an F100, F102 or F104 - no, NOT all three! That’s in the spirit of the build as outlined by Enzo above. I’m also planning at least one Lightning (Gods finest ever machine!)

SD

• 3 weeks later...

A bit of clarification needed.   Some NATO members carried out operations outside the NATO framework.   Can I assume that these are outside the scope of this GB?

For example, a USAF F-4D based at Takhli AFB in Thailand would not be in the scope of this GB, but an F-4D based at RAF Lakenheath in the UK would?   Only US Navy assets attached to the US Sixth Fleet would be eligible?

Any assets involved in the Suez or Falklands conflicts would be outside the scope of the GB?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

A bit of clarification needed.   Some NATO members carried out operations outside the NATO framework.   Can I assume that these are outside the scope of this GB?

For example, a USAF F-4D based at Takhli AFB in Thailand would not be in the scope of this GB, but an F-4D based at RAF Lakenheath in the UK would?   Only US Navy assets attached to the US Sixth Fleet would be eligible?

Any assets involved in the Suez or Falklands conflicts would be outside the scope of the GB?

:hmmm:

10 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

@Enzo Matrix raises a very interesting question, especially with the examples given. A Nato asset is an asset surely, wherever it might be deployed ....... or maybe not?

T.

:hmmm: :hmmm:

Interesting question indeed. French forces in Africa too? Well, in the rightminded BM GB massive I shall trust :coolio:. I wouldn't restrict these subjects should someone really want to build one here, as they were indeed NATO assets like Terry said, but... in the spirit of this GB, the subjects should be more closely tied to the North Atlantic Treaty theme. There are more or less regularly GB:s that suit these subjects and themes (in my opinion) better than this, but in the end it's up to You 🙂. V-P

• Like 1

I'd tend to agree with your last statement @vppelt68. For my entry, I'm planning to build a Nato asset, based in a NATO theatre of operations! I've not decided exactly what yet though as there are so many options out there!

Terry

• Like 1

Be a hard line to draw: anything based CONUS could go to Europe, if things got/get hot NORAD assets would be fighting the same war. Some ADC units deployed to Europe on Reforger, etc. I assume the AAE would bring stuff back from Dijibuoiti...

Chris

3 hours ago, Chrisj2003 said:

Some ADC units deployed to Europe on Reforger, etc.

Reforger deployments are an interesting subject in their own right.   It was very rare to see USAF A-7Ds in Europe but it seemed every time there was a Reforger, a squadron of them would turn up at Cottesmore.  

3 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Reforger deployments are an interesting subject in their own right.   It was very rare to see USAF A-7Ds in Europe but it seemed every time there was a Reforger, a squadron of them would turn up at Cottesmore.  

Hi,

They were here a lot more, not just in combination with Reforger.

The last A-7D deployment to Spangdahlem was in June/July 1991 (the "Sentry Corsair" deployment by the Iowa ANG and the New Mexico ANG).

This site has an interesting list of deployments www.sharpshooter-maj.com/html/coronet_index3.htm#ang 

That is just the ANG deployments. One can make other selections on the site, I selected TAC and saw that the 23TFW sent A-7D's to RAF Lossiemouth for the RAF tactical bombing competion in June/July 1978.

One can also select the year. In 1985, there were 36 A-7's at RAF Waddington for "Coronet Buffalo".🤩

Cheers, Stefan. 

• Like 4