Revell BMW M1 Procar

I picked this up at IPMS Telford in November 2016. It's been taken off and put back on the shelf unstarted quite a few times in the intervening years. Despite looking up all of the colour schemes that the M1 Procar ran in, I didn't like any of them. Finally I decided to get some custom decals printed (more on those later in the build). So it'll be following a branding scheme of my own invention but heavily inspired by a non-BMW, non-Procar racing scheme of the 1970s.  Assuming I can get them to fit, I will be changing the wheels for something more modern and the brakes for something less puny, and the whole car should end up - in theory, like some kind of nostalgic restomod race car - of which there are some real life M1 procars out there.

spacer.png

There's quite a lot in the box, including a full engine.

spacer.png

The body - like the rest of the parts, is .......OK.  There's a lot of cleanup to be done here and on many other parts. The overall impression is one of plenty of detail but low quality production values. Flash, "soft" detail", sink marks, seam lines and ejector pin marks. Reminds me a bit of Revell's Bugatti EB110, I just hope it assembles easier.

spacer.png

Putting the engine together confirms my thoughts on production values. It does go together but it's all not quite perfect.  And there's a giant sink mark. seen about halfway along. I'll be filling that.

spacer.png

Chassis sprayed. Engine test fit. I'm going to have to test fit this kit a lot I am sure.

spacer.png

• Like 9

On 5/12/2022 at 2:09 PM, Windy37 said:

I built this kit years ago as clear shell Jaegermeister car , built by Esci . Theres some pics of it on here somewhere . 

Gary

And this Revell re-release has all the quality of a 1979 ESCI kit.

• Like 1

I had better test fit everything with this kit. The front bumper does fit up to the body, but there's nothing there to fit it onto.

spacer.png

If fitted snug up against it's mountings, the rear bumper creates a step in the wheel arch.

spacer.png

Some plasticard front bumper mounts.

spacer.png

Plasticard also used on the rear bumper to reinforce the mounting.

spacer.png

After lot of sanding, filing, fettling, filing, cutting and gluing - an assembled body.

spacer.png

I've drilled bigger holes in the bodywork to make some more modern style fuel fillers. The filler caps themselves are some spare parts left over from a 1/72 F-16 Falcon. No idea what they are.

spacer.png

And here are my decals, direct from indycals in the USA as "print for hire". I made the artwork for all of them. Inspired in a large part by the late 1970s Williams cars - the FW08 in particular. Some of them I'd drawn to a set size - there's a white or a green option to fit the rear wing for example, on the far left of the sheet. Some of them I'd just drawn to a size and I'd fit them to the car later. Some of the brands shown did not appear on the real car, they just fit nicely with the colour scheme.

spacer.png

Indycals have no close cropped carrier film, so I've cropped the decals as tidily as I can, and blu-tacked them onto the car in order to determine the best locations. The black electrical tape represents what will later be dark green.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Trying out some alternative wheels, those from a WRC impreza.

spacer.png

Trying some other wheels - Skyline. These are too wide however - a lot more work if I wanted them to fit.

spacer.png

I can't remember where these white wheels are from but they do suit it pretty well. 

spacer.png

• Like 10

16 minutes ago, slippers said:

No place for the BeerLao decals? 😔

Not the large ones. Unless I go over the rear arches and move Goodyear and Yaskawa elsewhere.

Top beer though!

10 hours ago, galaxyg said:

Not the large ones. Unless I go over the rear arches and move Goodyear and Yaskawa elsewhere.

Top beer though!

I'm assuming those are just your creation? Although I would love to see it emblazoned on a real-life entrant. 

3 hours ago, slippers said:

I'm assuming those are just your creation? Although I would love to see it emblazoned on a real-life entrant. 

Insofar as the Williams FW08 wasn't sponsored by BeerLao, yeah they're my creation. But it's a real brand https://www.beerlao.la and the green is similar enough to Saudia green that I could make them the same for this purpose.

These are the brakes I'll be using on the front - from some Tamiya kit. Compared to the kit's original discs.

spacer.png

Painted suspension parts.

spacer.png

The Tamiya disc fits perfectly onto the Revell hub with no work needed.

spacer.png

And the Tamiya wheel's male fitting fits exactly into the female hole in the revell hub, no drilling required. Small mercies.

spacer.png

Completed dashboard and centre console.

spacer.png

The 6 trumpet intakes with the kit are solid items, with a black circular decal to go on the top of each to simulate a hole. That just won't do.

spacer.png

(Below) This is not my original idea - I found a guy on a German forum had done the same. These small metal trumpets, extracted from their plastic covering, make perfect engine trumpets. The items themselves are actually called ferrules, a word I didn't even know a week ago. I got these from an electronics shop in Derby. they were 5p each. After a few unsuccessful attempts at making the mounting, I eventually got one that worked. They are more or less in a straight line evenly spaced.  So yeah, this is going to be one those builds. See engine, detail engine.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 10

That's a very nice looking motor already! 

On 21/05/2022 at 16:59, galaxyg said:

The items themselves are actually called ferrules, a word I didn't even know a week ago.

I knew the word - it's also the thing that stops the hairs falling off a hairy stick! - but I didn't know about those that make perfect looking intake trumpets, shall have to find some of those! Great tip!

Good work so far - brakes and wheels are a big improvement too!

Keith

• Like 1

More masking and painting and the realizing I forgot to paint the green triangles on the bonnet, yet more masking and painting. The Tamiya Racing green really only looks like the shade on the plastic of the can if you undercoat in black.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 6

Some heat shielding in the engine bay.

spacer.png

The "parcel shelf" (for want of a better word) has steel bolts on it in real life, so I've added some.

spacer.png

The rest of the images are me applying the decals according to the earlier shown plan. The indycals decals go on very well.   No Beerlao decals - I'll save those for another project.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 11

I've painted the window surrounds black now. The moulding is a bit scruffy here.

spacer.png

Further assembly of the engine.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Front and rear lights. Not bad.

spacer.png

There's a lot left to do yet, but body and chassis are getting there.

spacer.png

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...

After a 3 week break in building - mainly because this kit made me lose enthusiasm, I'm trying to make a final push to get this one completed, just to get it out of the way. The poor quality of the kit has ceased to make it enjoyable any more, even if the end result will look cool-albeit-scruffy.  Anyway, onwards

This tiny little tab on the rear wing doesn't even locate with anything, let alone provide any decent sized surface for adhesive.

spacer.png

I've had to manufacture some scruffy but functional extra tabs.

spacer.png

The final rear wing, if it manages to stay in place.

spacer.png

The inner doors are no better, but easier to deal with. Some black plastic plates to glue with and stop them just falling inwards to the hole they match up to.

spacer.png

And electrical tape holds the rest.

spacer.png

The body goes onto the chassis for what I hope is the last time.

spacer.png

The nature of the wheels means I'm going to glue them in place. No rolling along for this model kit.

spacer.png

• Like 7

I dread getting a model which doesn't go together well - yes I've had minor issues but nothing to make me want to give up. Glad you overcame that hurdle as it does look as though the end result will be worthwhile.

• Like 1