Rover SD1

Marco F.

Oh good grief, this lot will bankrupt me - already want the Volvo and Audi and now the 155 and SD1. And the Mazda. And the Grp 5 Beemer..... :frantic:

And still waiting for the Belkits Ascona..... And a Sierra Sapph.... And... :doh:

Keith

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I'm seeing three potential problems here.  One, the bonnet between the headlights is inset a tiny bit too much.  Two, the front bumper appears to be the roadgoing version but without the trim and the overriders.  The TWR racer's bumper projects a lot more and has none of the ancillary parts (though it still has a number plate plinth).  Three, the valance is the bluff square one that most twin-plenum Vitesses had, not the one that TWR racer has fitted - which is more like the one all the other roadgoing SD1s had.  But the profile of the bonnet and the turn into the headlights look about right.  Perhaps it's the shortage of sticky-out bits that makes it look blunt?  It does seem an odd combination of features, especially with the racing wheels thrown in.

I'm not sure about a customer Vitesse but I'm sure a kit of a straight V8 VdP would finally make me break my car duck.  And I'd finally get the chance to get rid of that horrible Eclipse Blue.

• Like 2

If you Google SD1 racer images, there are several different styles of front end spoilers, some of which look like the model prototype pictured, like the Unipart Group 2 one.  As long as Beemax/Nunu choose the right livery/ spoiler etc combination we may be happy.  That 3d printed prototype looks like a solid grey bar of soap, I imagine the real kit will have separate parts with possible alternatives.  It appears to be a solid scan print of an SD1 that hadn't had the wipers turned off properly!

I agree there's possibly something not quite right around the nose, but bear in mind the Series 1 did not have chrome bonnet trim between and around the headlights, so looked quite simpler and purer than the fancy-pants later models with their rear wash-wipe and longer rear glass, old fashioned instruments and generally less avant garde style.

Now if motobitz does a transkit for a road going 1979 Kermit green 2600 auto with vinyl roof and full-length Webasto I might be up for one!

• Like 1

Have the manufacturer's no mercy? First we had the announcement of the Belkits RS200, then Hasegawa had their Pulsar GTi-R and now this. I think my attempts at stash reduction are going to founder on the rocks...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Spiny said:

First we had the announcement of the Belkits RS200,

Huh?  Need one of those tout suite (of furniture).  I think I'd probably be up for a Rover.  I remember seeing a tricked out SD1 outside MacDonalds in Ellesmere Port once upon-a-time.  Impressive piece of rust :)

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Mike said:

Huh?  Need one of those tout suite (of furniture).  I think I'd probably be up for a Rover.  I remember seeing a tricked out SD1 outside MacDonalds in Ellesmere Port once upon-a-time.  Impressive piece of rust :)

http://www.belkits.com/

"BEL022" on here, it seems to be taking an age to appear though (which on the bright side is good for the wallet!)

• Thanks 1

Great news for us, bad news for our budgets.  Thanks for the info Marco.

Now knowing there is a Rover on the way, I can finally lay my ill-conceived, forever project to rest.

spacer.png 

Speaking of Rover, check my "Spot of the Day".

• Like 6

19 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

Motobitz “jam sandwich” conversion parts…

Hope Mark does a rally car conversion first, so I can do Tony Pond's 3rd place 84 Manx car - that and the TR7 V8 must be two of the best sounding rally cars ever...

Keith

• Like 4

13 hours ago, von Race said:

Now knowing there is a Rover on the way, I can finally lay my ill-conceived, forever project to rest.

Those decals look useful!! The shell looks really good too! 

The reg mark of Tony's 84 'Oh no, not again' RAC car always makes me smile - oh WOE is me...!! :)

Keith

46 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Hope Mark does a rally car conversion first, so I can do Tony Pond's 3rd place 84 Manx car - that at the TR7 V8 must be two of the best sounding rally cars ever...

Keith

Only ever seen them at demo events , but the V8 s in those cars sound better than any rally car this side of an early Legacy 👌

Gary

On 5/12/2022 at 2:21 PM, Alan R said:

However, I'm not sure of the nose profile. It looks a bit 'blunt' to my eye.

It's the lights, or more the turn signals. They reach too far into the nose - on the real SD1 these end flush with the bonnet gaps, here they extend too far to the inside. 

21 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

Count me in for an SD1 or two — and the (please…) inevitable C1 Models street Vitesse transkit and Motobitz “jam sandwich” conversion parts…

best,

M.

20 hours ago, pigsty said:

I'm seeing three potential problems here.  One, the bonnet between the headlights is inset a tiny bit too much.  Two, the front bumper appears to be the roadgoing version but without the trim and the overriders.  The TWR racer's bumper projects a lot more and has none of the ancillary parts (though it still has a number plate plinth).  Three, the valance is the bluff square one that most twin-plenum Vitesses had, not the one that TWR racer has fitted - which is more like the one all the other roadgoing SD1s had.  But the profile of the bonnet and the turn into the headlights look about right.  Perhaps it's the shortage of sticky-out bits that makes it look blunt?  It does seem an odd combination of features, especially with the racing wheels thrown in.

I'm not sure about a customer Vitesse but I'm sure a kit of a straight V8 VdP would finally make me break my car duck.  And I'd finally get the chance to get rid of that horrible Eclipse Blue.

I would definitely buy a Vitesse/police or VdP conversion kit and the base kit to go with it.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2022 at 11:27 PM, von Race said:

Great news for us, bad news for our budgets.  Thanks for the info Marco.

I'd keep that handy if I were you, you never know if/when certain parts may come in handy 😉

• Like 2

YES!!!!!

With the nose of an SD1 in the background of the Beemax Volvo 240 box art, I did wonder if one would be kitted later...

It since to see something other than Ferrari/Porsche re runs all the time! The Rover hasn’t even been made in resin as far as I know.But having said this they promised a while ago the Porsche pink pig from Le Mans 2018,see Sabrejet’s excellent build in RFI of the resin one.

Ot maybe I dreamt it..Chris.

• Like 1