Primer, a basic question

masterKamera

the liqoud in 40ml tamiya surface primer is advertised more for filling in surface problems like bad gaps, pits, etc then for making the surface nice for paint adhesion. 

The tamiya spray can primer is all about making a nice surface that paint loves to cling too. sort of like that odd ex of yours.

What exactly am i missing in something that is SUPPOSEDLY the same product, but in different delivery systems

I've never even seen tamiya primer in a pot actually, but I strongly suspect it is much the same stuff as in the can but much thicker. The canned stuff has been thinned down to spray. The thick stuff therefore could be similarly thinned to apply with an airbrush for a fine 'adhesive' surface, or painted on direct to gaps as a light filler.

Mr surfacer certainly works this way, the cans are just thinned versions of the pots, and my experience with tamiya spray primer is that it is fairly interchangeable with Mr surfacer/finisher products.

15 hours ago, masterKamera said:

so in otherwords is merely a matter of what ever is cheapest then?

It depends upon use. If it is like mr surfacer, the cans are useful as a convenient quick primer spray (though cans are easier to overspray). If you prefer to apply with an airbrush, it can be easier to thin the pot mixture than faff around decanting from a spray can. The thick pot mixture can also be used as a filler too.

It depends upon price of the pot but IIRC tamiya can primer is not cheap, I would guess you'll get better value from the pot if you want to airbrush.

Not to knock spray cans, I've used both tamiya fine and mr surfacer of various grades and found them all to be excellent.

Mr Surfacer also makes Mr Finishing Surfacer 1500. It is quite thin and with some Mr. Color Leveling Thinner could be easily sprayed through an airbrush.

52073136219_7ae47f9778_b.jpg

Chris

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2022 at 4:49 PM, dogsbody said:

Mr Surfacer also makes Mr Finishing Surfacer 1500. It is quite thin and with some Mr. Color Leveling Thinner could be easily sprayed through an airbrush.

52073136219_7ae47f9778_b.jpg

Chris

Thanks for this tip Chris. I’ve been wondering about spraying Mr Surfacer, but have never had the bottle to do so, for fear of it just clogging up the airbrush.

While looking through my old attempted Hurricane build from a few years ago, I had used the white 1500 as a primer on my paint mule, during my first airbrush usage.

So it must be fairly easy to use if I pulled it off okay.

Chris