PK-113 Matchbox 1/72 Messerschmitt 410

My build of the Matchbox 1/72 Messerschmitt 410 (PK-113) will be reported here.

Matchbox_Messerschmitt_410_72_2022_BM_GB

It really will be an OOB build as I am going to make it unpainted to show the different colour parts as per the box illustration:

Box contents and build details will follow.

Dave

• Like 11

20 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Idea   :hmmm:     Should you need fillers - make plastic soup using the kit sprues

Pray tell more Fred?

Great stuff Dave, more power to your modelling elbow 💪 

Cheers Pat 

• Thanks 1

@Black Knight Fred, I am hoping to do such a good fettling job that I won't need any filler - or soup and hardly any glue! The reason being that when it is finished and the necessary photos have been taken, I hope to dismantle it and re-build it "properly".  Fine in theory but I wonder how I will get on.

Dave

• Like 4

Luckily, I am not painting this build but even so, I do not have much time to get this build finished before the GB gallery closes. Let's see how it goes but first, as promised in my previous post, the box contents.

The reverse of the box artwork. This particular build will use the decals for the second version, a machine of 1 Staffel 'Edelweiss' Kampfgeschwader 51:

In the past, I have seen this kit moulded in dark brown, light brown and light blue. This boxing has different colours. First frame is a medium green:

Second frame is light blue:

Third frame is a rather garish light green:

The clear parts, including a stand:

Decals look okay but the white has turned to a dirty grey so I will put them under a UV lamp for a few days:

Instructions - They come printed on both sides of a large A3-sized sheet. On the first half of one side, there is a picture and potted history of the subject along with painting instructions for some of the smaller parts:

The other half of this side list all of the Humbrol paints needed for the build and show assembly instructions for the stand. The potted history appears in various languages:

On the reverse of this large sheet, the assembly instructions appear. One half has Sections 1-3 and 5:

The other half shows Sections 4, 6-8:

All parts were removed from the frames:

They were all cleaned up:

Assembly was started beginning with the fuselage:

Wing halves were glued:

Undercarriage was assembled as were the engine nacelles. Here the wings, tailplanes, canopy and propellers have been dry-fitted:

That's all for now.

Dave

• Like 6

Thanks Pat 👍

It certainly feels like a blast from the past and one that I am enjoying very much. However, I will be dismantling parts of this after it is finished and I will save the sticky fingerprints, fogged canopy, dodgy paint job and misaligned decals for it's rebuild. :banghead:

Dave

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

More progress.

I cleaned up the fuselage, wing and nacelle joins and glued the nacelles to the wings. I glued the wings and tailplanes to the fuselage starting with the port side:

Starboard side was done and one of the under-fuselage aerials was glued in place (the other one will be fitted after decalling). The tailwheel and doors were also glued:

The canopy, pitot, aerial and propellers were glued too:

Considering that I haven't used any filler, plastic card or "soup", it has turned out okay. Just the decals to apply now:

That's all for now.

Dave

• Like 5

What a cool, clever idea!

I love it

Bit of fun

What are you using to "temporarily" glue the kit together?

I would hazard a guess at just a safe non-aggressive PVA white glue?

Also I found your method of removing everything from the sprues as the starting point interesting

If I did that there would be no hope I could assemble the kit....

I wouldn't be able to work out what was bloody what and on top of that I would have lost half the parts before I even got close to finishing!!! 🤣

• Thanks 1

Thanks 👍

I have been using Tamiya Quick-Setting Extra Thin Cement to tack some parts. For example, the nacelles haven't been glued fully along their joins and they have been fixed to the wings by using a tiny drop of glue top and bottom. I have also used tube glue on the wings and tacked the canopy with canopy glue similar to PVA.

I don't have problems with removing all of the parts first of all. I take photos of all the frames before I start and should I not be sure of what a part is, I look for it's location in the photos and find it's number. It is a method that has worked fine - up to now.

Dave

• Like 2

My final report now.

The decals were applied and the model was completed, ready for photos. However, I knocked off the pitot tube which pinged off to an unknown location. I cut some brass rod, painted it green and glued it to the port wing:
spacer.png

Finally finished:

I had previously intended to rebuild this with fully painted interior and exterior but I have decided to leave it as it is.

This build completes my participation in this Britmodeller Matchbox 50th Anniversary GB. Thanks to the hosts for what has been a very enjoyable and productive GB for me.

Dave

• Like 3

Well done Dave, this clean and crisp build looks really wonderful and is an excellent and fitting conclusion to your terrific input into this Matchbox Group Build.

Thanks for your great participation and support over the last few months which has enabled us to tick off a number of Matchbox kits that I had thought would never see the light of day. 

Cheers and regards.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Dave. 👍

My love of Matchbox kits is only surpassed by my love of Airfix kits. Both played a big part during my schooldays and it has been a pleasure to take part in this GB.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1