1/48 ICM Spitfire Mk.IX

This is next on the bench.  Found it at a good price, and it's a build that will show the engine, with hatches removed.  

52066556615_6aa5182e00_z.jpg

There does appear to be a nice level of detail.

52066556575_b1b6c591ae_b.jpg

52066302034_24b68fbc75_b.jpg

instructions wise, almost like a scematic, rather than step by step.

52065026277_4783d5d968_c.jpg

52065026287_28b45e17f8_b.jpg

52066302109_85d7bb9107_b.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ngantek said:

oo nice, looking forward to it. 

Silly question.... erm... where's the engine!?

I've never done an open engine build before.

It's here.  I included it into the above post.

52065026277_4783d5d968_c.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Alex Gordon said:

G'day Andy,if it's of any use I built one in the Spitfire/Seafire Group Build during 2020,https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235073586-icm-spitfire-ix-in-148th-scalefinished/

It's a fiddly but fun build,I'll tag along for this one if that's OK.

Thanks Alex, I need all the reference information I can get, many thanks for posting your build.

16 hours ago, Ngantek said:

oo nice, looking forward to it. 

Silly question.... erm... where's the engine!?

Sorry, I had missed off the engine parts on the sprue.

I've been contemplating adding some wire parts to the engine, I've seen a few do this but I am struggling to find some decent reference material.  If I can I will add something.

It's very basic, and nothing like you guys are putting together.  I've seen a few different posts on engines.  So I think I've installed what might be a very tubular engine oil pump, and guessing, as there is feed coming from the sump and going to something on top of the engine??  I did look at adding some fuel lines, and maybe spark plug lines on top by the head, but I wasn't too sure where they were going from and to, so I left them out.

52068460774_58072a5f93.jpg

• Like 2

Dropped the canopy on the floor, stood, moved slowly, then "crack".  The amount of times I've lost one.  I need to remove the carpet and paint white on the floor.

52085138435_8ff86c6746_w.jpg

I had already cut out the door, to use the one with the kit.  

52085149120_2262fa2781_c.jpg

52084692878_9501b1133f_w.jpg

To say I'm annoyed is an understatement.

• Sad 3

12 minutes ago, Alex Gordon said:

Ooooh nasty!

If you can't modify the closed canopy I can probably find a spare one.

Hi Alex.  I doubt I would be able to cut out the existing closed canopy.  I'd be happy to buy a spare from you please.

If I may suggest, you may be better off with a Rob Taurus vacuform canopy for the sliding section. I found the kit canopy too thick to sit open, and it would ride way to high. The vac sliding section fixed that problem. I found that cementing a short section of stretched sprue at the bottom edge gave a 'runner' that nicely snapped into the track groves on the fuselage so that the canopy didn't have to be glued down, it just snapped on!

Rob Taurus vac canopies

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, mark.au said:

Looks fantastic… though, I can’t quite put my finger on it, but there’s something missing?

I think the aerial is missing isn't it. Probably left til the end in case of breakage.

It is looking rather good though.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I think I'm done with the MIG AMMO water based varnish.  I thought I would play it safe, and try the Flory dark dirt, knowing that this is also water based.  as soon as I tried to blend this, it peeled off the varnish.  How many hours does the MIG AMMO varnish take to cure?  I thought it was supposed to be 5 hours?

Nice work 👍

And thanks for the reminder, I've been trying to remember the maker of the MkIX with the engine included. I built one several years ago. More recently I did the Eduard kit as G-IRTY the Silver Spitfire doing the Round the World tour 2019. 

But the Eduard kit has no Merlin. Otherwise a very nice kit. But I've got a couple of picture references of G-IRTY in deep maintenance, stripped right down in preparation for the epic tour. And I fancy having a go at modelling the hangar scene. So THIS is the kit required!! 

Sorry to read about the Canopy but pleased to read of the help offered. Pleased but not surprised.... You're right about this forum! It's brilliant for this kinda thing 👍

I'm looking forward to seeing the engine installed now, carry on 😎👌

• Thanks 1

She's looking good; I built the same kit and tried to get clever and did a cowling half on, half off job; it worked, just, and led to my forum signature!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the kind comments.  It's as complete as I can get it.  For the next WW2 build, I will try another gloss finish as I had some interesting problems.  Will add some pics very soon.

On 6/1/2022 at 7:32 AM, mark.au said:

Looks fantastic… though, I can’t quite put my finger on it, but there’s something missing?

Landing gear! I think this was when the RAF was testing foam landing pads, but they were getting too much bounce...

Real good looking Spit! Will look even better (if even possible!) under a wee bit o' grime.

• Thanks 1

So complete, I've come to the conclusion that I need to leave the top gloss coat a lot longer before I start weathering, plus, I'm going to find a lacquer based varnish that holds up a lot better to oil and white spirits.  I struggle towards the end of builds where I just think, next time I will get it right lol.

The build went ok, just a slight problem that I only realised was with the engine frame, when mounted it was off centre.

52130803152_3ddd48a501_b.jpg

52130803102_4f25d87dc9_b.jpg

52131838746_09ba571a71_c.jpg52131825891_881d915d63_b.jpg

• Like 8