Focke Wulf Fw190D-9, 'Black 12' KG(J) 27

Hi all

This is Eduard's 'problematic' 1/48 D-9 kit.  Fortunately, this is my last one I have, so I don't have to build any more of them ;).  Finished in the markings of 'Black 12' 500658 from KG(J) 27 - an ex Bomber unit whose pilots were re-mustered into a fighter wing at the end of the war.  According to records, this aircraft was lost in combat with P-51s on 1st April 1945.  No photos exist of 500658, but I've tried to model it on other D-9s from the 500 series, and there is evidence of the green/white checker band on other KG(J) 27 aircraft, including 109s and 190As. 

Painted with a mix of Vallejo and Mig, using some old Montex masks from the spares box and kit decals for the octane and glycol stencils.  Painting/masking the checker strip was fun!  Anyway, hope you like the pics.. :) 

HlgGgbm.jpg

zZJndKK.jpg

tQxdaBm.jpg

CX5zhsx.jpg

Fi3Xsoh.jpg

uDFxWAx.jpg

qQeeCXW.jpg

Is6YNKb.jpg

• Like 37
  • Thanks 1

It looks perfect! Especially the checkerboard on the fuselage. Are there differences between old 190 D kits and the new one? Or are they all problem kits? 
So yours look perfect!

Andy 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

How many did you buy? You certainly have made a nice model from this one so I was wondering how much practice that needed. 😀

Thanks Bertie :) Not built that many of these, to be honest, maybe 3 or 4, but enough to know that I prefer the Hobbyboss kit over this one.  I don't think there is a perfect 190D out there in 1/48, but this definitely ain't it ;) 

2 hours ago, Andy Dyck said:

It looks perfect! Especially the checkerboard on the fuselage. Are there differences between old 190 D kits and the new one? Or are they all problem kits? 
So yours look perfect!

Andy 

Thanks Andy :) I don't think there's any difference in the 'new' boxing, compared to the old.  Still has the separate wing root gun covers (which don't fit) and the same issues with the wing underside to fuselage fit, not to mention the 'upside down and back to front' supercharger scoop.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very nice, Werdna, as always.  There's a good crop of Doras and Ta-152s around on the forum at present, and this makes me very happy indeed!  I didn't know about the issues this kit has, but, having two in my stash, I'm glad to have been forewarned.  How did you rectify the scoop?

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

Very nice, Werdna, as always.  There's a good crop of Doras and Ta-152s around on the forum at present, and this makes me very happy indeed!  I didn't know about the issues this kit has, but, having two in my stash, I'm glad to have been forewarned.  How did you rectify the scoop?

Thanks Jack :)

I haven't rectified the scoop - and I don't believe there's an aftermarket replacement for it either.  Not sure how Eduard managed it, but the shape is effectively a mirror image of what it should be..

• Like 1