A Tale of 3 Hawker Sea Furies

The Mini is progressing well with a positive suggestion it could get it’s colour coat tomorrow afternoon.:penguin:

The Sea Fury is also progressing.

The main gear was adjusted by .5mm to reduce the height, but something was still off somewhere. 
The gaps between the wheel bay doors and the bottom of the wing were different. 
It then dawned on me that the doors were glued on incorrectly. They were centred on the wrong part of the landing gear and as such sit too far forward at the top. The bottom is correctly positioned laterally but the port side is also lower than the starboard side. Unfortunately there’s too much blue applied to adjust them. 
On the positive side though, the fuel tanks will sit directly alongside, so they will hide the error to some extent. 

The wing tip lights were both filed and sanded back to a shine - which took me the best part of an hour as the acrylic was quite tough but they look good now.

The pilot seat was 3D printed, cleaned up and fitted. Nothing spectacular- just a copy of the T-20 seats.
 Something is off somewhere when I go to print seats. The printer puts a step in about half way up for some reason which needs trimming back - so that will have to be investigated when I have more time. It’s odd as it’s only seats that are affected - all other prints are fine.

More Mr Surfacer was added to the seams and dips in other areas.

That can dry so it can be sanded back again tomorrow- I’ve had enough of sanding for one day - Mini’s are bigger than you think when you have to sand the primer ready for the colour coat.

uN15pV9.jpg

WMikl6X.jpg

0WSJhit.jpg
iw9cBO3.jpg

LAOOgJ9.jpg

• Like 6

It’s is just a quick post to say the Mini is commandeering most of the time at the moment, so work on the Sea Fury has stalled temporarily.

But a major step has taken place on the Mini - it’s got green paint!

X83HTXG.jpg

• Like 6

On 5/22/2022 at 9:36 AM, bigbadbadge said:

We are about to embark on a journey of getting my son's first car, he is going the classic route too  so we are looking for a bug or Polo Breadvan. So I see lots of work  ahead too.  I even have to clear a space in the garage!!!  

Chris 

If you go the VW route - or actually just about any 'classic' style car form that era, be careful the first time you drive it.  My elder daughter wanted an old style Beetle for her 21st. I found one in reasonable condition and bought it. Wow - I had forgotten how poor the brakes were on cars of that vintage!   The first corner also reminded me of the great improvements in suspension over the years.  I learnt on cars like that but memory fades...  (And is optimistic!)

That Mini takes me back a long time; my mate and I used to take the engines out of our Minis regularly for 'tweaking'. His dad ran a garage. Out and back in same day, finished in time for beer by early evening, heads cleaned, valves reground and carbs sort of balanced (twin Weber conversions).  Happy days.  We were convinced the cars were faster afterwards, certainly noisier.

Back to the Sea Fury - 'Brigbeale' : Interesting. I've never heard of Dettol being used as a paint stripper before. I've always used oven cleaner. Is Dettol good for this?  Used neat or diluted?

John B

Edited by John B (Sc)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, John B (Sc) said:

If you go the VW route - or actually just about any 'classic' style car form that era, be careful the first time you drive it.  My elder daughter wanted an old style Beetle for her 21st. I found one in reasonable condition and bought it. Wow - I had forgotten how poor the brakes were on cars of that vintage!   The first corner also reminded me of the great improvements in suspension over the years.  I learnt on cars like that but memory fades...  (And is optimistic!

Back to the Sea Fury - 'Brigbeale' : Interesting. I've never heard of Dettol being used as a paint stripper before. I've always used oven cleaner. Is Dettol good for this?  Used neat or diluted?

John B

Dave - the Mini fanatic has lent us one of his minis - a reshelled mk1. That’s got 10” wheels and 7.5” servo assisted brakes up front. They certainly need stamping on when somebody decides to pull out in front of us without looking when driving down the road. 
Fortunately, our one has 13” wheels and 8.4” servo assisted brakes which are a lot better.

The roads must have been better in the heyday of the Mini. It certainly bounces about a bit while my Renault Scenic just soaks up the bumps. When driving it’s a wonder I don’t get stopped for drink driving while I’m playing dodge the pot hole or poor road repair!

With the Dettol, I use it neat. Once it’s done it’s job (usually overnight), I use coffee filters and a funnel to put it back into its bottle for re-use.

Edited by Brigbeale
  • Like 1

Hi Brian

Wow the Mini looks great fella,  really  coming on well.

Nice looking lights on the Sea Fury too.

Great work on both aircraft  kit and mini kit.

1 hour ago, John B (Sc) said:

If you go the VW route - or actually just about any 'classic' style car form that era, be careful the first time you drive it.  My elder daughter wanted an old style Beetle for her 21st. I found one in reasonable condition and bought it. Wow - I had forgotten how poor the brakes were on cars of that vintage!   The first corner also reminded me of the great improvements in suspension over the years.  I learnt on cars like that but memory fades...  (And is optimistic!

Thanks John , very familiar with them too , check my Avatar for my current VW.  I have passed this love of VWs to my son  what have I created???

Thanks though

Chris

• Like 1

The Mini is progressing slowly but it’s getting there. I don’t really want to see the total bill once it’s done!:yikes:

The roof ispainted white and the rear arches are on. The doors are assembled. The headlining needs refitting (tomorrow hopefully) and the remainder of the glass can be refitted. The interior can then be refitted after that.

The bonnet and boot-lid had some dust in the paint sanded back and are awaiting machine polishing when I get a nice day to do so, but there’s plenty of other minor things to do instead.

6dVRL7x.jpg

I decided to do some more to the Sea Furies tonight.

To start with, the FB10 has the Mr Surfacer sanded back to smooth out the seams and divots. A couple still need a dab more adding.

Two wheels were 3D printed - in white PLA, using the same design as the Tempest wheels,  as I had it on the printer. They took about half an hour to print and will require some cleaning up to smooth the tyres a bit. They're dry fitted at the moment and will get glued in once the painting is done.

I also mad a start on the 2 Trainer Sea Furies. 
First thing to do was build the cockpit assemblies - what there is of them - basically two simple seats on a base with a bulkhead with a head restraint pad fitted to it. The instructor doesn’t get a restraint. I might remedy that later. I’m not going too mad on these in respect of adding extras.

The cockpit areas were brush painted with Mr Color Aqueous H12 Flat Black. Not much will be seen once the fuselage is buttoned up and the canopies are on, but I painted as far as I thought they would be seen from certain angles to hide the sandy and grey plastic inside them once built. 
Some simple seatbelts will be added to break up the black in the cockpits 

sULeHVC.jpg

The Frog FB10’s fuel tanks are broken/poorly moulded. Fortunately, the T20 has some tanks found spare, so the FB10 will get them.

Edited by Brigbeale
  • Like 5

I was in the mood for some modelling tonight after a fairly productive day on the Mini where the windscreen and rear window were fitted on my own. 

The T20 (grey) and T61 (sand) fuselages were assembled incorporating the two-seat flight decks. There was nothing of note there, just fit  them on the locating tabs and fit the two halves together.

The area in front of the T61 cockpit opening didn’t want to line up and has a slight step. I just gave it copious amounts of Mr Surfacer and forced it into a more acceptable position. I expected the same on the T20, but that one was fine. The two aren’t exact copies of each other - one has the fuselage locating pins on the starboard half and the other has them on the port half,  the part between the cockpits are different and the tail wheel assembly is fixed on the T20 but can be depicted stowed on the T61.

I then built up the two engine cowling/propeller assemblies. The propeller blades were a little too wide of the slots in the spinners but by removing a slither on each side remedied that. Other than opening the hole in the propeller assembly for the spindle to 1.5mm, they went together ok but each is a little off centre compared with the ring behind them. I think it lays in the hole in the propeller blade hub being slightly off centre. Both propellers turn which is alway a result in my book.

I decided to fit the lower wing halves. A little flash had to be removed to allow the wings to slide over the sides of the fuselage at the front on both. The rear of the grey one fitted ok - just a little persuasion to line up one rear of the lower wing with the root on the fuselage was needed.
The sand coloured one was all over the place fit-wise. although the width at the front was ok, the seam in front of the wheel wells was wider on one half of the fuselage than the other. The rear seam was ok but there was an ugly gap between the flaps and the fuselage - looking even worse probably due to the colour of the plastic. Still, it’s nothing a slither of card won’t sort out.

I offered up the engine assemblies to the respective fuselages. The T20 fitted nicely and ‘clipped’ on. The T61, on the other hand, is a shocking fit. It doesn’t stay in position as the T20 does as the diameter of the engine is larger than the fuselage diameter allowing movement in all directions. It’s not the engine assemblies as I’ve tried swapping them over and they’re the same in each fuselage. I’ve photographed the engines one the other fuselages so the different colours highlight the problem better.
I measured the two fuselages and the T61 (sand) is 0.4mm narrower than the T20 (grey) fuselage where the engine fits. Heights are within 0.1mm of each other.

So my options are to try and ignore it, build up the fuselage one the T61 or slim down the cowling. The slimming of the cowling seems the better option if it’s done correctly. 

I also got one of the FB10 fuel tanks and compared it to the T20 tanks. They look tiny in comparison- so either the Frog ones are on the small side or the PM ones are too big. Unless I’m mistaken completely and the trainer version use larger tanks anyway but I think that unlikely.

Its  weird that practically the same aircraft from the same company can have one which is ok and one which needs various modifications to repair flaws in the product. 
But that’s modelling I suppose!

ajLFsp4.jpg
dKjrKG2.jpg

hTbjN0d.jpg
Y8rdsNn.jpg

V3CVxSo.jpg
dsqWgs9.jpg

0e76prr.jpg
1Ny8rnE.jpg

Edited by Brigbeale
  • Like 5

Crikey you have been busy Brian,  the zsea Furys are coming on well and it's certainly strange ghat the two twin tubs are so different???

The mini looks fab BTW it's going to look lovely with all the windows in and trim in place too.  Great work all-round. 

Managed to track down a project for my son and I,  after being gazumped on a couple, I found one with half the work done already in that its a 1989 Polo Mk2 Breadvan slightly lowered on Golf early driver wheels and looks great, it will be a very easy project as only needs the front end paint respraying,  but you can bet your bottom dollar,  I will be eating those words!!!🙄

Chris 

• Like 2

Chris, I’ve just looked up a Polo Breadvan. My wife had one of those years ago in a petrol blue colour. It was surprising what we could get in the back of it (not what we got up to!).What a brilliant little runaround it was. I remember I was on a errand one evening when a foreign student ran across the road from behind a bus which she’d just got off. She ran smack into the driver’s door. A police car was there and saw it happen. The student got up and continued on her way as if nothing had happened. the police breathalysed me even though I was the innocent party! I was still in the car at that point. They took my details and hers (when they caught up with her). She apologised and went on her way again. The police gave me the keys back and said I was free to go. It wasn’t until I got home and got out of the car I saw the driver’s door was caved in. I rang the police to report the damage for insurance purposes. Later on the officer concerned said he didn’t believe the student caused that amount of damage and as far as he was concerned it was case closed. My local body shop said it was about the right amount of damage from someone running into the side of the car. He managed to pull the dent out which left a very slight crease only noticeable from a certain angle. My wife gave it to her daughter who drove if for a couple of months before she part exchanged it for a Citroen AX😖.

I had a frustrating day on the Mini trying to get the silver windscreen rubber locking bead in despite having the correct tool to insert it in to the groove. I had 5 or 6 attempts to get the beading in but the tool kept coming out of the groove which meant the beading wouldn’t fit in at that point. I pulled the beading out again and did something else instead. Once I calmed down a bit I decided to do the rear window instead as it was easier access. The tool needs to be held at a certain angle to get the sides of the groove apart which allows the beading to be pushed through the diamond shaped head of the tool into the groove. That took two attempts before I got it in. After a bit of faffing about, I decided I couldn’t put off the front one any longer. It went straight in (almost) just one slip which was coaxed in with a thin screwdriver. If anyone asks if I’ll fit another - I’m out!! Despite that though, they look nice. I’m going to start refitted the interior tomorrow, which is an indoors job as the weather is predicted to be raining all day☹️.

• Like 2

Tonight I sanded the engine cowling on the T61 (sand) to bring the diameter down to match the fuselage. Surprisingly, it didn’t take much to do. 

Last night I fitted the landing lights in that bottom of both the trainer Furies. Now that they were dry, I decided to use the aluminium foil trick sellotaped in position to act as a reflector for the light itself. I used this method on the Frog Shackleton. It’s surprising what a difference it makes.

Then it was time to fit the upper wings into position. 
All I can say is Oh Dear! The fit is abysmal for different reasons on each model. The T61 (sand) Fury’s upper wing halves (especially the starboard one) are a slightly different shape to the lower half. I found the best thing to do was line up the leading edge using the gun ports as a reference and glue it from there. The inboard rear trailing edge was about 0.5mm wider than the lower edge and stepped past the fairing on the fuselage. That was the good bit though - the wing to fuselage joint had a gap as wide as the rear of the underside. The port wing was a slightly better fit but still had a gap between at the fuselage to wing joint. 
The T20 (grey) Fury’s upper wings fitted a lot better and didn’t have the same gap at the fuselage to wing joint- but instead, it had a massive step where the wing was lower/flatter than the adjoining fuselage shape.

Both had the same issue of the trailing edge and wing tips being too thick and needed to be sanded to a curved/tapered edge as appropriate.

The remedial action was the same for both though. I masked off the inboard panel line on each wing upper surface and added Revell Plasto filler to fill the gap on the T61 and the step on the T20. The tape was removed immediately after that filler was applied. Both will need those areas sanding back. 

The underside wing joints were also filled with the Plasto filler.

I don’t like the starboard offering for the carb intake on the starboard wing on each one so I’ll do the same mod that I did on the FB10. However the port oil cooler openings are narrower than the FB10 and I’m not sure at the moment as to whether it’s best to leave them alone. There’s no room inboard to add and extra opening.

The rear stabilisers were added. Again there was a difference between the two kits. The T61 had a front to rear movement of about 2mm where-as the T20 ones fitted snuggly lin the correct position. I just fitted the T61 stabilisers in the correct position.

I’ll let the filler cure and sand them back tomorrow.

The engines were fitted to the correct fuselage (with tape in the case of the T61) and the canopies dry fitted to get a feel for the overall look.

All three were placed in some old R/C car rims to place them all at the same height and angle for the photo.

Ive also had a thought of depicting the T61 (sand) Fury wheels up in flight - which means getting a pair of pilots and putting it on a stand. 

AaKOaQd.jpg

HBYgIy9.jpg
xYQ8Jin.jpg

8Py6djL.jpg
3UQFCi4.jpg

Qk8OcJe.jpg
Me13Juf.jpg

gKl5NBQ.jpg
nOgyrvN.jpg

AxI7uRa.jpg

Edited by Brigbeale
  • Like 4

A fine trio (to echo Adrian's words). And an interesting comparison between the types.

Can't get a bad looking Sea Fury, they will look great I'm sure.

• Like 1

The two Sea Furies had the filler sanded. Each required a second thin application due to some cavities which emerged. They dried quickly and the second sanding smoothed them out nicely.

The carburettor intakes on the starboard wings were wide enough to have a hole drilled in the front and widened with a sharp pointed knife blade. They were then given a coat of Mr Cement S to smooth out the roughness. As said earlier, the oil cooler slot in the other wing is not wide enough to have a carburettor intake made, so i’m just going to leave them as they are. The top and bottom lips on the oil cooler intakes were filed to make them thinner and more in keeping scale-wise.

Following the decision to make the T61 wheels up, it was time to fit the landing gear doors - which was not as simple as it seemed. The doors didn’t fit the openings, but fortunately they were too big. A little trimming and sanding got them to fit the openings but the plastic was too thick to sit flush with the bottom of the wings. I sanded a bevel on the inner surfaces to get them to sit lower in the openings. Each of the three parts on both sides needed attention. Clearly, this Sea Fury was meant to sit on its wheels. Once the Mr Cement S had dried enough, the parts had to be sanded to get them level with the surrounding wing panels.

The tail wheel doors on the T61 were just a pair of irregular shaped plastic which in no way had no similarity to the curved underside of the tail section. The only way to fit them was to fit them flat and then them overhang the sides of the tail-wheel bay. Once the glue had set enough, they were sanded to shape.

Finally tonight, I cut the openings to have the wing tip navigation lights installed. I’ll make them tomorrow night.

pQoflNk.jpg

XwsjXgM.jpg

iVujvuK.jpg
GyELJVk.jpg
E9EJPtX.jpg

M2NPrEH.jpg

• Like 4

The Mini is all but finished. It’s as ready for the MOT test tomorrow as it’s going to be - don’t think I’ve forgotten anything🤞There just a few internal tweaks my son wants carried out before the trip to Beaulieu this Sunday. I thought I was going to get to drive it there, but I’ve been relegated to his BMW Mini Cooper S. Fair enough I suppose -he’s waited long enough (4 years) to get the Classic back on the road.

The weather refused to fully co-operate today. I had to fit the bulkhead carpets and fix the horn (inside the car - loose connection) which meant I needed the door open wide. Every time it looked like clearing up and the car was taken out of the garage, it rained again🤬. I got there eventually though.

K53hWRP.jpg

J3Mzni3.jpg
RETItSp.jpg

Q3YXwGz.jpg

• Like 7

Work has been progressing on the two trainer Sea Furies even though extra hours have been put in on the Mini to get it finished.

The wing tip navigation lights were made out of clear sprue drilled with a 0.8mm drill and then green and red acrylic paint was used to paint the hole using a sharp cocktail stick. They were then glued into their respective positions still remembering “Red - Right -WRONG!”. They were then left to fully dry until tonight’s modelling session.

Tonight they were sanded back using a cheap nail sanding stick using the various grades of ‘grit’ until they were polished to a shine. It’s a little time consuming but the result is worth it.

The seams and some shrinkage marks were also given a coat of Mr Surfacer. Tonight, they were sanded back. Again, the T61 (sand) one is the worse of the two for overall quality, but with the extra work, it should turn out as good as the other two hopefully will. The sanding revealed a couple more dips in the plastic I had missed so they were painted with Mr Surfacer.

W4iu6OX.jpg
BimW7c5.jpg
xYAzI4g.jpg

• Like 4

Great progress on the Mini and the Sea Furys Brian, good luck with the MOT tomorrow. The Mini looks fantastic! I was following a Mini Cooper along the M5 the other day, I was just amazed by the small size. Used to drive Kennings' (the hire car company) Mini 850s around the North Circular to get them serviced (and got paid for it!). This was about 1978, less traffic, no speed cameras...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Johnson said:

Great progress on the Mini and the Sea Furys Brian, good luck with the MOT tomorrow. The Mini looks fantastic! I was following a Mini Cooper along the M5 the other day, I was just amazed by the small size. Used to drive Kennings' (the hire car company) Mini 850s around the North Circular to get them serviced (and got paid for it!). This was about 1978, less traffic, no speed cameras...

Thanks Charlie.

I can’t imagine driving an 850 in today’s traffic especially on faster roads. The running joke is that they’d struggle to get to 40 quickly - how true that is, I don’t know as I’ve never driven one. This one is a 998cc and it does ok, but my son has a 1275cc engine to go in it. All was ok with the 998 until he borrowed a Mini with a 1275 and that was that! Apparently that’s the winter project🙄.

• Like 2

Nothing wrong with an 850 if driven properly.  My bog standard one could beat my dad point to point in his E21 323i and that was a rocket ship in 1981.  Obviously if there was a motorway or dual carriageway it was a different story!  Or if it rained as BMW had not mastered wet-handling balance on the E21...

• Like 1

Wow Brian , the Mini looks absolutely stunning,  great job on that I bet you are both well chuffed with it, hope the Beaulieu show goes well.  

The area Furys are coming on well but crikey what a fight, I had less in the way of issues building the Special Hobby T20, you are doing well though. Great work. 

Crikey what anaccident to happen to your old Breadvan.  We had a dog hit our passenger door of our Triumph 1500 years ago just outside of Southampton,  the dog saw the son of the owner waiting to cross the road and just ran like mad and straight into the door.  What a loud bang, the dog a labradore was fine but the door was completely knackered. Was a mice car too.

We got the Polo Brian , managed to get a lovely 1989 one which has been lowered and is running late Golf Mk2 Driver Wheels and beauty rings and it looks absolutely awesome,  runs very well with some ratty paint on the front Which I like but my son is wanting it resprayed.  I am really  chuffed with it and want to drive it myself, I had a 1300 Coupe myself previously and it was a little beastie and went very well.  

Took me a few weeks to locate one and was gazumped on a couple  but glad now I was as the one I have got is lovely. 

Chris

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Wow Brian , the Mini looks absolutely stunning,  great job on that I bet you are both well chuffed with it, hope the Beaulieu show goes well.  

The area Furys are coming on well but crikey what a fight, I had less in the way of issues building the Special Hobby T20, you are doing well though. Great work. 

Crikey what anaccident to happen to your old Breadvan.  We had a dog hit our passenger door of our Triumph 1500 years ago just outside of Southampton,  the dog saw the son of the owner waiting to cross the road and just ran like mad and straight into the door.  What a loud bang, the dog a labradore was fine but the door was completely knackered. Was a mice car too.

We got the Polo Brian , managed to get a lovely 1989 one which has been lowered and is running late Golf Mk2 Driver Wheels and beauty rings and it looks absolutely awesome,  runs very well with some ratty paint on the front Which I like but my son is wanting it resprayed.  I am really  chuffed with it and want to drive it myself, I had a 1300 Coupe myself previously and it was a little beastie and went very well.  

Took me a few weeks to locate one and was gazumped on a couple  but glad now I was as the one I have got is lovely. 

Chris

Have you got a photo to share?

• Thanks 1

Hi Brian

Check this out, my Son sitting in it, he is 6 ft tall and when stood next to it makes it look so low

spacer.png

spacer.png

I am really chuffed as able to get the prettier pre face-lift model, there is no rust on this little beauty, only on the little strip of metal between the grill and bumper which is separate from the car.  Amazing really. He may have to wrestle it off me when he learns to drive!!!

Thanks for letting me post

Chris

• Like 2

22 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Brian

Check this out, my Son sitting in it, he is 6 ft tall and when stood next to it makes it look so low

spacer.png

spacer.png

I am really chuffed as able to get the prettier pre face-lift model, there is no rust on this little beauty, only on the little strip of metal between the grill and bumper which is separate from the car.  Amazing really. He may have to wrestle it off me when he learns to drive!!!

Thanks for letting me post

Chris

Wow Chris, that’s a good looking Polo. Your son looks like the cat that’s got the cream (as my gran would say). 

• Thanks 1

I’m happy to report that the Mini passed its MOT test with flying colours.

The only thing that cropped up was the clutch was slipping which was felt on the while driving the Mini - so that’s another job to do. Other than that, the drive to and from the MOT centre went smoothly and the car drives well. Not bad since it’s been off the road for 4 years! (covid restrictions included in that timespan). 

But a massive thanks goes to Dave King. Without his help and guidance, we couldn't have completed it in time for this weekend.

The Racing Green alongside his re-shelled Mk1.

mSrMEI5.jpg

Wr2JqeT.jpg
ezH65Rr.jpg

Edited by Brigbeale
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Brigbeale said:

Wow Chris, that’s a good looking Polo. Your son looks like the cat that’s got the cream (as my gran would say). 

Thanks Brian, he is very pleased,I was lucky to find that one.

Congratulations on the MOT pass and they both look gorgeous , would be happy with either in my Garage 😉 hope you can really enjoy the weekend now.

Chris

• Thanks 1