Trumpeter T-64BM BULAT MBT

Seems like everyone's building modern and Ukrainian armor these days, right?

Did I have this model in my stash for ages? Not really, just had to hop on the bandwagon.

Plus I've just recently finished Trumpeter's Stryker and absolutely loved it and had to build more Trumpeter kits.

So here we go, T-64BM Bulat OOTB.

wbHoUDBo_o.jpg

I wanted something Ukrainian, I was looking at this one and the T-84BM Oplot and in the end it was this little detail in the instructions that caught my eye.

125 super tiny PE discs that go onto the turret? I absolutely have to do that!

xJyVJ2gI_t.jpg

Bottom part of the hull is a walk in the park, the suspension arms fit perfectly, so aligning them is no trouble at all.

Funny thing with the upper part of the hull, where the instructions indicate only certain holes are to be drilled - however that is not the case and you will need all of them.

a0UJuZSv_o.jpg

Putting the two halves together - again no issues and suddenly you have a tank in front of you! Afterwards the first PE comes into play - the usual engine covers.

Noteworthy thing here at the back of the hull - the rubbery skirts or whatever they are - the third one should be heavily twisted to allow placement of one of the fuel drums, however even after applying a lot of brute force I was not able to twist it sufficiently so I opted to cut it a bit instead...

e1zJeWKO_o.jpg

The fenders and side skirts - so far the only mishap of my build where I've glued one of the sideskirts "holders" in a wrong position, but luckily noticed this before the glue has set and I was able to correct it.

Tracks are a mix of straight pieces and individual links and again, it's just about patience here.

However as I wasn't really thinking here, the fact that I've glued the sideskirts to the fenders I will have an issue with how the tracks will be put on after painting.

The Current plan is to not glue the fenders with side skirts, paint the model with them attached and only after all the painting and weathering will be done, attach the tracks and fenders as last.

10Bdz5We_o.jpg

Onto the turret then!

Edited by paperdeks
added photo
  • Like 7

Looking good so far!  I've built a couple of Trumpeter armour kits, and I think they're some of the best on the market at this time.  Both of mine came with their own photo etch frets, which I think they're doing with just about all their kits these days.  I look forward to seeing more of this build! 

Before I continue with the turret I managed to come across this brilliant picture that sealed the deal on what exact tank I was about to build.

Green-white camo with black spots was always the plan, but this one looks just ace.

K3f1S6ui_o.jpeg

Only problem was the fact that I had the fenders and sideskirts all done and glued together. 

One hour (probably a little less than that) later and all work was done. Trumpeter does help you here as the individual "panels" are nicely scored, so I only had to follow the line both outside and inside - the line inside was extremely helpful as I did not have to deal with the little locks on the outside.

For the front part I followed a couple of pictures of the abandoned/captured T-64s from Oryx, but in the end it's not really a rocket science - again Trumpeter does help here and you just have to follow the lines with your saw.

For a little moment I was considering cutting the other front fender as well, but in the end I do like the asymmetrical look. 

One final step was to trim the fuel drum holders - this also means I won't have to fill and sand them - big hooray!

zceuvdZR_t.jpg

So that's it for now, field modifications have been applied and next time I'll tackle the turret!

I will also need to look for some nice civilian looking stowage for the turret. 

• Like 5