My Brewster Buffalo colection in 1/72. PART 3 of 3 the Finish ones

13 minutes ago, zigster said:

Superb collection of those Finnish planes. They did have good score with them, yet opponents were on a bit different level than Japanese in Pacific area.

Great theme build though!

zig

Thank you very much. See part one and 2 for my Australian ones.

Alain

On 5/16/2022 at 1:34 PM, zigster said:

They did have good score with them, yet opponents were on a bit different level than Japanese in Pacific area.

Great theme build though!

Hello guys,

are you familiar with the book written by USN lieutenant Robert A. Winston? Here is a short version about the test and delivery flights of Finnish Buffaloes. https://www.warbirdforum.com/winston.htm

Winston got to know several Finnish pilots and was both terrified and impressed at the same time. If you are interested in the subject and can find the book, I can recommend it.

I think that the most important thing behind the Finnish air force's success was the way the pilots were trained. Soviet Polikarpov fighters weren't up to the standards with Buffalo, but they also weren't something to fool with. Those Soviet flight commanders that had gained combat experience in Spanish Civil War were dangerous and very capable adversaries. Most Soviet pilots on the other hand had poor training and they weren't capable of taking the initiative in combat. During Continuation War Finnish Buffalo pilots shot down newer and better planes; even some Spitfire Mk.IXs and P-51Bs operated by the VVS.

Cheers,

Antti

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Antti_K said:

Hello guys,

are you familiar with the book written by USN lieutenant Robert A. Winston? Here is a short version about the test and delivery flights of Finnish Buffaloes. https://www.warbirdforum.com/winston.htm

Winston got to know several Finnish pilots and was both terrified and impressed at the same time. If you are interested in the subject and can find the book, I can recommend it.

I think that the most important thing behind the Finnish air force's success was the way the pilots were trained. Soviet Polikarpov fighters weren't up to the standards with Buffalo, but they also weren't something to fool with. Those Soviet flight commanders that had gained combat experience in Spanish Civil War were dangerous and very capable adversaries. Most Soviet pilots on the other hand had poor training and they weren't capable of taking the initiative in combat. During Continuation War Finnish Buffalo pilots shot down newer and better planes; even some Spitfire Mk.IXs and P-51Bs operated by the VVS.

Cheers,

Antti

Thank you for the information. Realy welcome.

Alain

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Wow, what a stunning collection of Buffaloes   that us fantastic,  great work. 

Chris

Happy you like them.

Alain

• Like 1