Leyland PS2/1 single deck bus with Weymann bodywork - side photos?

bootneck

Hello all,

I am trying to scratchbuild a model of a Leyland PS2/1 single deck bus, as used by Birmingham Corporation in the 1950s.  I have searched for reference photos, especially the front entrance steps etc., but can only find quarter-on views like this one.  Does anyone have access to photos of side views, both sides please? 

I have the plan and profile drawing by T.F. Blois [dwg no.298] but could do with some extra visual details.

cheers,
Mike

• Like 1

Hi Mike,

I can't help you with any pics, but that's a lovely shot of the Birmingham Corporation livery from that era. I he hasn't seen it I reckon Bill @perdu would appreciate that!

Terry

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Hi Mike,

I can't help you with any pics, but that's a lovely shot of the Birmingham Corporation livery from that era. I he hasn't seen it I reckon Bill @perdu would appreciate that!

Terry

He does.

Mike the Wythall bus museum might be able to come up trumps, try an email or phone call to them maybe.

I have a 1:76 very good quality resin kit, I can email some pics of that over. I do know someone who owns one but probably won’t be able to get to it before I go away in July.

here is 2 of the 3 survivors 

DSC_0041

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Rich,

that would be great, thank you.   Travelling, such as to the transport museum, is not possible at the mo', so your offer of photos would be really good please.  Who makes the resin kit?

As you can see, I haven't been able to progress very much due to the lack of information available.   I'm struggling with how the chassis looks, what the floor shape looks like and how the steps and doors fit etc.  Then, of course, we have the issue of axles, wheel hub and tyre sizes.

spacer.png

I'll send you a pm.

cheers,
Mike

Hi Rich,

received the email and images, thank you.  They show that the passenger deck is level all the way through the bus, I had thought that it might be stepped over the rear axle.  I'm not sure what a standard split rim, axle and hubs mean.  Any images or dimensions for those?   I can draw the hub and wheel in 3D but not sure the dimensions i.e. circumferences for each, so would be grateful for advice on that.  Is the bus rear axle drive?

cheers,
Mike

A split rim is an old style wheel, I have some resin 1:24 ones I’ll dig out and email pics and sizes. 
The back axle is probably a normal straight axle, double deckers had a dropped centre so the floor was lower to allow the bus to be low enough to use, but keep the saloons high for people to stand comfortably. All buses are Rear wheel drive
When I can get to the bus I can have a crawl under but it could be a while

• Thanks 1

Hi Mike, 

Don' t know if this helps but it shows the back, something most anoraks steadfastly refuse to photograph. Photo of a photo from Capital Transport book not sure how it will present here but lets see,

52071743635_f25828fc21_c.jpgbct by Matt Farmer, on Flickr

Also notice the difference in the front bulkhead and nearside cab windows between your photo and richellis. The latter was a one man operated conversion.

Not that up on BCT stuff but hope this is of use.

Matt.

• Like 2

Hi Matt,

thanks for the photo, every little helps.  I had noticed the two types in Rich's photo.  It will be the one inboard of his picture, as a driver and conductor version that I would like to build.

cheers,
Mike

hi ,

Old Bus Photos.com  should have wot you require

cheery"Modellin' "  mumbas !

Geoff

With regard to the lack of 'alternative' viewpoints, for whatever reason lost in the mists of time, it has been deemed that the 'correct' way to photograph a bus is a front quarter view. Certainly this has  also been perpetuated and reinforced by publishers selecting such views. Submitting 'imaginative' views would normally guarantee rejection, and as for the back? Also be wary that if there were for example 12 boggo standard examples of something, and one different, thats the one photographed and published. 

Sure that kind of thing happens elsewhere, but buses seem bad for it. Good luck in your quest.

Matt.