Italeri Super Etendard - Aviacion Naval Argentina 1982

I have great intentions with this one, pictures of box contents later on

IMG_6373

IMG_6375

I've managed to find a copy of the instructions missing from the kit when I got it, however they are completely devoid of any information about painting colours for any of the kit.

Can anyone assist with either Revell or Humbol colours for this one please.

Many thanks Pat

• Like 4

Hi Pat,

Unfortunately I seem to have lost the electronic copy of the book I used as a reference when I built mine, but I did the later  two greys French scheme -the "official colour" for the Argentina SE was the old French scheme of Gris Blue Fonce ref 5430/2274 (I gather that is a "Cellomer/Cellolac ref) on top and white underneath. Various kit instructions quote Hu 125 Dark Grey and Dark Gull Grey Hu140 whilst I have seen references from modellers using Extra Dark Sea Grey Hu123 or USN Intermediate Blue Hu 144, and also various home made mixes - one from a French forum suggests 4xHu123 to 1xHu14 which makes sense - XDSG (123) does look a little blue in certain lighting so adding French Blue 14 would help emphasise that. Of course Jean may be the best person to ask! Sorry. never used Revell other than a couple of tins of enamel I picked up on an outing a few years back. My conversion chart has no Revell equivalent to XDSG 123 but the blue could be X4 or 52 if that makes any sense.

Hope that helps.

Edited by PeterB
  • Thanks 1

Hi Pat,

So you were serious!!!! OMG, OMG, OMG!!!!

Anyway, as repentance is not one of your strong suit, let me give you some paint info, so that you can hang yourself without fail.

The Argentinians S.E. were painted like the French Navy ones at the time, that is dark blue over white.

Pete has already given you his take, so as usual I will muddy the waters with my interpretation, all in Humbrol enamel, of course:

-Dark blue: Hu 104 + a touch of light grey (any light grey will do, but the touch has to be very, very subtle)

-White: that's up to you, as long as it's in a spray form...

If you think it looks rubbish, send me more hate mails!

Take care mate!

JR

• Haha 3

Hi Pat,

As I built my Airfix one as the Aeronavale version I should have the Argentine decs somewhere - I will have a look.

SE-crop

If so, would you like them?

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

Hi Pat,

For me to throw unused viable decs away is almost unheard of and I am sure I have these somewhere unless I already gave them away, but I had a quick look and can't find them! I will have a better look in a day or too but don't get your hopes up. I printed the ones on my "Dagger" myself, but if I were to paint them I might try Hu89 Middle Blue, or perhaps HU47 Sea Blue. as it was quite pale.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

Sorry Pat,

They may turn up but it looks like I either threw them away accidentally or else donated them to another modeller's build. At least you don't have to match the blue to roundels in this version.

Not the best of photos but this might help.

sephoto-crop

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Pat,

so, is the S.E. almost finished?

I can talk, as life and visitors have kept me away from even looking at a piece of plastic...

But that's me. What about your progress?

Cheers mate.

JR

• Like 1

Hi Pat,   I built the Italeri Super Etendard in the Bomber/Strike/Ground Attack GB, AeroNavale markings.

Italeri-Etendard-FP.jpg

then refurbished an Airfix kit, with the leftover decals

Airfix-Etendard-FP.jpg

Painted H125 upper surfaces, white underside.  I painted the tail surfaces with Deltic prototype blue, but reckon any lightish blue will be OK.

Let me know if there's anything I can help you with.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Apologies everyone I still haven't started this one !

Pathetic excuses really, a Ukrainian family living with us, plus an American exchange student and hosting the Matchbox Anniversary GB has severely curtailed modelling time  :banghead:

Note to self....... Must try harder !

cheers Pat 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Pathetic excuses really, a Ukrainian family living with us, plus an American exchange student and hosting the Matchbox Anniversary GB has severely curtailed modelling time  :banghead: 

Proud of you Pat,  keep them all safe.  

Your Etendard will wait until the time is right.

• Thanks 1