Another Malta Spit

Hi all

So here's my second take on a Malta Spitfire VC, this time with the new Eduard kit (all OOB except for some metal gun barrels, the spinner and left over decals from my previous Special Hobby build). I went for BR112, 185 Sq flown by Claude Weaver III. Weaver became the youngest Allied fighter ace but sadly didn't live to see it end after being shot down over France in 1944 after successfully escaping captivity and making it back into the war. 

I got myself a copy of the Colour Conundrum Compendium articles by Paul Lucas who depicts BR112 in Extra Dark Sea Grey and Dark Slate Grey with a Sky underside. I wanted to display this flying for two reasons really:

- A spit just looks soooooo much better this way.

- By raising it up it meant that I could fit it on the same shelf with two parked aircraft in my display cabinet (If i carry on doing this i can do another 3 models before having to convince my wife we need a new cabinet!).

The lettering on the birch disc was the only thing useable from the montex masking set up bought for this project-all the rest were really warped, apparently this happens to old vinyl masks.. :(. The spinner was simply made by cutting out some thin 0.25mm evergreen clear sheet and scoring it with a compass point. I think its fairly effective, its only when the light hits from certain directions and the glossy shine/reflections spoil the illusion. Any tips for achieving the same effect welcomed-I'll be doing more in flight models!

Weathering consisted of a flory wash, oil rendering and stains and a good stipple of ground up pastels for the dust effect. 

Overall very happy with it, but i really need to get better at attaching and masking canopies more neatly...

Anyway on to some pics, hope you like it and thanks for looking.

Graeme

IMG_0834

IMG_0833

IMG_0835

IMG_0828

IMG_0861

IMG_0855

IMG_0854

IMG_0853

IMG_0856

IMG_0858

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Thanks @Bertie Psmith, @Maginot and @Wulfman.

15 hours ago, Maginot said:

Good one. I think most aircraft models look best posed in flight, all cleaned up and purposeful.

I agree, even if they would have spent most of their time on the ground its where they are meant to be.

Edited by GRK

21 hours ago, GRK said:

Hi all

So here's my second take on a Malta Spitfire VC, this time with the new Eduard kit (all OOB except for some metal gun barrels, the spinner and left over decals from my previous Special Hobby build). I went for BR112, 185 Sq flown by Claude Weaver III. Weaver became the youngest Allied fighter ace but sadly didn't live to see it end after being shot down over France in 1944 after successfully escaping captivity and making it back into the war. 

I got myself a copy of the Colour Conundrum Compendium articles by Paul Lucas who depicts BR112 in Extra Dark Sea Grey and Dark Slate Grey with a Sky underside. I wanted to display this flying for two reasons really:

- A spit just looks soooooo much better this way.

- By raising it up it meant that I could fit it on the same shelf with two parked aircraft in my display cabinet (If i carry on doing this i can do another 3 models before having to convince my wife we need a new cabinet!).

The lettering on the birch disc was the only thing useable from the montex masking set up bought for this project-all the rest were really warped, apparently this happens to old vinyl masks.. :(. The spinner was simply made by cutting out some thin 0.25mm evergreen clear sheet and scoring it with a compass point. I think its fairly effective, its only when the light hits from certain directions and the glossy shine/reflections spoil the illusion. Any tips for achieving the same effect welcomed-I'll be doing more in flight models!

Weathering consisted of a flory wash, oil rendering and stains and a good stipple of ground up pastels for the dust effect. 

Overall very happy with it, but i really need to get better at attaching and masking canopies more neatly...

Anyway on to some pics, hope you like it and thanks for looking.

Graeme

IMG_0834

IMG_0833

IMG_0835

IMG_0828

IMG_0861

IMG_0855

IMG_0854

IMG_0853

IMG_0856

IMG_0858

I like it well done

Alain

• Thanks 1

Wonderful. I really thought the first pic was a reference shot. Like the oil staining underneath from the "total loss lubrication system" all these warbirds suffered from.

Regards

Pete

• Thanks 1

I initially thought the first picture was one of those reference photos of the real thing. That is all I have to say!

Seriously, I've definitely moved into the "bring them to life" camp over the last couple of years and so I absolutely love this, superbly done.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Pete Robin said:

Wonderful. I really thought the first pic was a reference shot. Like the oil staining underneath from the "total loss lubrication system" all these warbirds suffered from.

Regards

Pete

thanks Pete, first time I’ve tried this outdoor lighting lark with a model. It makes it look pretty convincing, even if I did need to photoshop out the odd tree branch and telephone line!