Jump to content

- APOCALYPSE NOW -----THE END


Recommended Posts

Has anyone else been looking at the picture and trying to identify the aircraft? I'm certain about the B58 Hustler, but that's about it. If someone could annotate the photo so each model had a unique identifying number we could be at this for days...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Suddensky said:

Has anyone else been looking at the picture and trying to identify the aircraft? I'm certain about the B58 Hustler, but that's about it. If someone could annotate the photo so each model had a unique identifying number we could be at this for days...

 

I can see:

 

f-104 starfighter

he 51
gannet x2
lysander?
do 335 possibly x2
b58
henschel he 126

 

There's a French fighter seaplane I just can't remember the name :)

Edited by Moggy
added a gannet f-104 :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I sympathise on the space issue. As I build I selectively “retire” a model to a stack of Ikea storage boxes. Some survive, some don’t. Space seems to be the limiter to most of us. It’s a sad thing but by thinning out the weak contributes to my own modelling evolution :)

 

Martin

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would have sold them as an ebay lots, parts are valuable, even if you didn't get much for them. I noticed only car modellers do that, the aircraft guys just throw away. I lost out on an unbuilt Heller Super Connie for the same reason, it was going to be just given to me, then the guy decided to just throw it out. They aren't cheap.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

I would have sold them as an ebay lots, parts are valuable

I agree and, in fact, I have a fair few parts donors in the loft ;). My current RF-84F is getting an old Airfix F-84F nosewheel leg, for example. :)

 

Martin

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Moggy said:

 

I can see:

 

f-104 starfighter

he 51
gannet x2
lysander?
do 335 possibly x2
b58
henschel he 126

 

There's a French fighter seaplane I just can't remember the name :)

- You've got some of them..

- A third Do 335

- No Lysander -

-Ju 88G

- An Arado 240 

- Siebel Si 204 

-Arado Ar 68 - (The black thing top left)

'-Breguet Br 693

- A doubt about the seaplane possibly an A6M-2N

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, IPMS19 said:

- You've got some of them..

- A third Do 335

- No Lysander -

-Ju 88G

- An Arado 240 

- Siebel Si 204 

-Arado Ar 68 - (The black thing top left)

'-Breguet Br 693

- A doubt about the seaplane possibly an A6M-2N

 

The french seaplane (greyish light blue) I named is placed at the picture's far left :)

I could see the Arado 240 but not remember the name ;)

 

I mistook the black thing Arado Ar 68 for a Lysander 🤪

The only other seaplane I can see is a couple of floats bottom left. Is that the putative Zero on floats? 😁

 

It is sad to see so much work going to the recycle bin 😔

 

Cheers, Moggy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Moggy said:

 

The french seaplane (greyish light blue) I named is placed at the picture's far left :)

I could see the Arado 240 but not remember the name ;)

 

I mistook the black thing Arado Ar 68 for a Lysander 🤪

The only other seaplane I can see is a couple of floats bottom left. Is that the putative Zero on floats? 😁

 

It is sad to see so much work going to the recycle bin 😔

 

Cheers, Moggy

-The froggy is not a seaplane, but a low altitude attack bomber Br 693 according to the characteristic shape of the underside of the visible wing, the seaplane I can't really tell which it is. If it's a twin float it s not a RUFE, it could be the Dewoitine HD 780 seaplane prototype. I had this rather confidential resine from Sinifer 

-Cheers J.M

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

They all rust in peace now at the local dump depot! The law of impermanence at its best!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Zigomar said:

They all rust in peace now at the local dump depot! The law of impermanence at its best!

- Thank you my friend , whatever, I keep on modelling 🍻

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Due to limitation of display space, my glass showcase gets a clean-out every other year.

Those models who do not match my current standards are removed.

Most of them end up at my Local Hobby Shop as free-takeaways.

I'm quite strict in this regard, as my aim is quality, not quantity.

 

Maybe you get the chance to replace the lost models with new built kits?

I'm sure you have improved your standards over the years and can build even better models now!

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Roman Schilhart said:

Due to limitation of display space, my glass showcase gets a clean-out every other year.

Those models who do not match my current standards are removed.

Most of them end up at my Local Hobby Shop as free-takeaways.

I'm quite strict in this regard, as my aim is quality, not quantity.

 

Maybe you get the chance to replace the lost models with new built kits?

I'm sure you have improved your standards over the years and can build even better models now!

 

- Vielen Danke Roman 

 - Your idea of the take away is excellent, I won't have think of it - I have the same philisophy, once my show cases full I used to pack them and to the attic. But the space became limited, and added to this, the problem with polistyrene so the only way was the scrap yard....... As I'm keeping on modelling, so one day or another, I will have to cope with the same problem but I will make your idea in good practice this time ... if you allow it ......🍻

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Your hobby is modelling, not model storing and hoarding, no?!

 

Keep up building and showing please!

:thumbsup:

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do not like the idea of building and storing away. There is space for up to 55 aircraft in 1/48 in my display cabinets. Since this space was used up about three years ago I followed Romans way: When I build something new, one has to go. In my case it is that famous auction site that they are going to. All my built models are either on display or sold. But I keep photos of any one I have built. And the sales create the revenues necessary to buy kits, tools and paint.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 10/05/2022 at 11:41, Mycapt65 said:

Ugh! You wasted all those perfectly good BB gun targets and firecracker receptacles. As a kid every model I got bored with or didn't like how it came out got blown up to pieces. Lots of fun pretending it's in battle. That was long ago now I'm an adult. Aww who am I kidding I just shot up an Italeri A-10 5 years ago. 

 

I'm sorry for your loss. 

The same thought crossed my mind too!

 

I put the bulk of any leftover sprue in the recycling bin.  Presumably these poor kits can go the same way (possibly resulting kit reincarnation)?!!

Edited by Hairy Stickler
Had a thought!
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Your hobby us modelling, not model storing and hoarding, no?!

 

Keep up building and showing please!

:thumbsup:

 

 

 - That 's what I'm doing  Werner.   with some small problem by the way.......

JDS22s.jpg

 

9vwnqs.jpg

 

WTxF2d.jpg

 

With  TRUMPY at rescue

Qd0Sgd.jpg

 

- Such is life otf the modeller.......

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That is horrible! Maybe you can something about them - the foamed polystyrene likely glued only to surface of varnish, if it is acrylic the alcohol (pure) perhaps will separate them. Have you tried them? Doing that be careful - it softer the decals even more efficiently then Microsol...

Regards

J-W

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am thinking on this and what can be said, the temperature was not thst high that foamed poly is melted together, it only (!???) glued to surface of model, so it is just a question of debonding surface of model covered with varnish and foamed poly. The alcohol shoul help, do nt give up....

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, JWM said:

I am thinking on this and what can be said, the temperature was not thst high that foamed poly is melted together, it only (!???) glued to surface of model, so it is just a question of debonding surface of model covered with varnish and foamed poly. The alcohol shoul help, do nt give up....

-Thank you my friend for your idea, it's a tip to be kept in mind for the next models I will built. On the other end the age is coming........

- Some models were in boxes for almost 20 years; it is probably why, as they were constantly exposed at rather high temperatures during spring and sommer monthes that made the chips to stick to the varnish. Last sommer, temperature rised 40°under shadow for two or three consecutivs days, which means 50°+ for the less, under the roof in the attic for hours, the nights being not sufficiently fresh to cool the space. I noticed that matt acrylic paints were more sensitive to this phenomenon than gloss and enamels.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can feel your pain. I presume that you have some left on display elsewhere. If so that at least will ease the loss somewhat I hope.

At least you didn't lose all your work like I did. As some of you may know, I had to give up physically making models through ill health. I had saved about 80 models, mainly 1/35th vehicles etc. However, fate dictated that the place where they were displayed for several years was now deemed a war zone. A shelf collapsed (why? Who knows) suddenly, which caused a cascade and demolished the lot. Any idea how many wheels there are on that many German vehicles? Or individual track links? It was carnage. Couldn't bring myself to even try and begin to sort it. Just collected the lot into bin bags and off to the tip. Can't even access the photos of them now either as photobucket seems not to like my sign in details anymore. 

Still, I get to see you guys work and admire the finished products.

Stay sane fellas, keep up the good work.

Regards

Pete

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Pete Robin said:

I can feel your pain. I presume that you have some left on display elsewhere. If so that at least will ease the loss somewhat I hope.

At least you didn't lose all your work like I did. As some of you may know, I had to give up physically making models through ill health. I had saved about 80 models, mainly 1/35th vehicles etc. However, fate dictated that the place where they were displayed for several years was now deemed a war zone. A shelf collapsed (why? Who knows) suddenly, which caused a cascade and demolished the lot. Any idea how many wheels there are on that many German vehicles? Or individual track links? It was carnage. Couldn't bring myself to even try and begin to sort it. Just collected the lot into bin bags and off to the tip. Can't even access the photos of them now either as photobucket seems not to like my sign in details anymore. 

Still, I get to see you guys work and admire the finished products.

Stay sane fellas, keep up the good work.

Regards

Pete

-Thank you Pete, I understand too well your ordeal, different reasons leads to the same result, fortunatly I still have enough in different show cases to please my eyes and memories

OtETJO.jpg

 

XCtGDo.jpg

 

- I faced the same problem with Photobucket some years ago so I changed to imageshack and no problems since

Thank you for your words , Keep safe my friend 🍻

 

12 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Which B-58 kit is that. I like the looks of it.

- It was the Italeri Kit with scratch made  decal scheme and paint

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...