1/32 NOW (31/05/23) Echelon Kit and Trumpeter English Electric Lightning - Replacement Corrected Canopies

JohnT

MODS - Just spotted Ali posted this on 1 May and I missed that before-  please either delete the post or merge with his

Thanks and apologies for the extra work !

I don't think Ali has posted on this yet but I came across these and just had to order 2 sets for my Trumpy Lightnings. 

https://aerocraftmodels.bigcartel.com/product/english-electric-lightning-replacement-canopy-set-for-1-32-trumpeter-kit

I have had both kits since they came out and not touched them as for me the highly peculiar shape of the glasshouse was such that it just put me off while my skills are nowhere near good enough to do a fix.  The canopy area is one part of the "Frightning" that kind of sticks out a mile so for me these sets are a God send

Looks like Ali has come to the rescue so those two will be coming out of the stash of doom soon.  :hmmm::D

I have two sets for my Trumpys and they look excellent. The canopy framing has been rendered wider to correct the misangled and flimsy greenhouse framing in the kit parts, and there is interior detail and masks included. Gets ☆☆☆☆☆ from this modeller.

Tony 

Now I'm wondering if these could be adjusted to fit the Echelon kit. One of the reasons I've parked this on the shelf of doom again is the smoked yellow actetate of the aged vac canopy. Since I'd be doing it canopy open, only the windshield would need to fit the kit.......... Bit of a gamble though.

Paul.

On 5/14/2022 at 5:42 PM, Paul Thompson said:

Now I'm wondering if these could be adjusted to fit the Echelon kit. One of the reasons I've parked this on the shelf of doom again is the smoked yellow actetate of the aged vac canopy. Since I'd be doing it canopy open, only the windshield would need to fit the kit.......... Bit of a gamble though.

Paul.

Hi Paul

no they cannot be easily adjusted. However I intend to do a canopy set for the Echelon kit, so just wait a little longer.

cheers Ali

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Ali62 said:

Hi Paul

no they cannot be easily adjusted. However I intend to do a canopy set for the Echelon kit, so just wait a little longer.

cheers Ali

Thanks so much for that, best news I've heard in a while.

Paul.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree Paul, that is excellent news. One of my Echelon Lightning kits has a yellowed canopy, so it is 'on hold'.  Shall keep en eye on this...

Strange the way only some canopies are affected - I have two Hunter kits which have still got good clear canopies ! 

John B

2 minutes ago, John B (Sc) said:

I agree Paul, that is excellent news. One of my Echelon Lightning kits has a yellowed canopy, so it is 'on hold'.  Shall keep en eye on this...

Strange the way only some canopies are affected - I have two Hunter kits which have still got good clear canopies ! 

John B

Different materials, I think. Not all plastic is chemically equal, and sometimes it's acetate.  Someone sorted that out in one of the periodic discussions on the subject in Britmodeller, or at least so my brain keeps telling me. Of course, it would be handy to remember details, but I don't. All I know from my own experience is that it applies to Aeroclub and Rareplane canopies, depending on which production run they came from and what was (I suppose) the cheapest avaialble clear material available at the time.  The only vac canopies I've never had go coloured are from Falcon, Squadron, and High Planes.

• 11 months later...
  • JohnT changed the title to 1/32 NOW (31/05/23) Echelon Kit and Trumpeter English Electric Lightning - Replacement Corrected Canopies
6 hours ago, JohnT said:

@Paul Thompson @John B (Sc)  Your wish answered.  Ali has the ones to fit the Echelon kit available now on his site - just bought 2 for my two kits.  Last time I looked the vac canopies were still ok but one slip and there is no back up.  

Super - thanks JohnT. I shall likewise order two for my two kits, later tonight !  Excellent stuff Ali - am amused to see we are all based up here in Scotland !  Perhaps the many years of Lightnings at Leuchars has soem small part to play.

John B

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, John B (Sc) said:

Super - thanks JohnT. I shall likewise order two for my two kits, later tonight !  Excellent stuff Ali - am amused to see we are all based up here in Scotland !  Perhaps the many years of Lightnings at Leuchars has soem small part to play.

John B

Founder members of the Ecosse Lightning Appreciation Society perhaps. No entry qualification required. My avatar betrays a more than passing interest

Just now, JohnT said:

Founder members of the Ecosse Lightning Appreciation Society perhaps. No entry qualification required. My avatar betrays a more than passing interest

Yes, plenty of us around.  I recall watching an early Lightning night launch at Leuchars; the way the lower afterburner flame spear bent as it hit the tarmac on rotation was impressive. Especially after the Javelins and, earlier, Hunters !

5 minutes ago, John B (Sc) said:

Yes, plenty of us around.  I recall watching an early Lightning night launch at Leuchars; the way the lower afterburner flame spear bent as it hit the tarmac on rotation was impressive. Especially after the Javelins and, earlier, Hunters !

1970 and I am sitting on the train on the way to an interview at Dundee University to study (ended up at Edinburgh though) at Leuchars station when I Lightning on take off sounded like he was removing the carriage roof. Spectacular 

Think we might persuade @Ali62 to add a whole Lightning to go underneath the canopies?:D

2 hours ago, JohnT said:

1970 and I am sitting on the train on the way to an interview at Dundee University to study (ended up at Edinburgh though) at Leuchars station when I Lightning on take off sounded like he was removing the carriage roof. Spectacular 

Think we might persuade @Ali62 to add a whole Lightning to go underneath the canopies?:D

Now that's a thought!

A 1/32nd two seat Lightning would be terrific. I'd think it might sell well too. It was a shame that Frank Brown stopped when he did  (I think his wife was ill?). There were rumours of a two seat Lightning and a Buccaneer being thought of. 

I only bought one Lightning transparency for now- to my surprise when I checked my second kit canopy was fine.  Stroke of luck, so I bought the 1/48 Hunter two seater conversion I'd looked at a while ago. A Lossiemouth FAA machine is planned of course. 

John B