y4mmtrXs8kwUUaA1S5M-HalixrcKbV1byGPJ7PiZ

EDUARD Eikó 1/48 - F-104J Starfighter

F-104J was a version of the F-104G specifically built for interceptor role for the Japan Air Self-Defense Force. F-104J was armed with cannon and up to four sidewinders but lacked any strike capability. A total of 210 were built, most of them under license by Mitsubishi. A dual-control trainer version F-104Dj was also produced.

y4mK3emox6mKmOhZz25UdqNapI_NZLd_b_Nuohv5

The kit is Eduard 1/48 special edition box set which comes with some extra goodies. Also multiple paint schemes to choose from.

y4mnvgv3ijR02-eAAHAeuHDuD1oDS8Rr3wwWZ3wL

Plastic parts are from Hasegawa - which should be a good kit apart from some excessive riveting. Not sure whether I will let that bother me. Hasegawa kit is fair bit older than the rather new Kinetic Starfighter but we will see how it holds up against it. I have built the Kinetic kit before but not Hasegawa.

y4mHLJAxlIZKdl_YGMm8mldJYjCSQFPS3fSu3Wzd

Some of the extra stuff that comes with the kit. Paint masks, resin ejection seat, PE cherry blossom and PE parts for the cockpit.

y4mB7fS5NbQfWIBKnVdeypOB56WrrbQAqbrcK58m

Ejection seat is rather nice - even more so after some paint and PE harnesses.

y4mFMDodN-BW_FaYz0QXVZMTAGxZcW4km3GC4y8B

Some aftermarket stuff I got. Not sure whether the 'remove before flight' tags are correct for the Japanese machine but if not I will just leave them out. I also have some extra PE parts and resin pitot tube to spice things up.

y4mblVzAK9hQjCsbthQoyTeCjIyb7cfiZ1Z03Etp

The kit not only comes with brilliant full color instruction booklet but with a reference book also.

y4mbzXqYyaRNhZeQNUBaeVNEAm0F_Jj5NXpVoPZy

While I could do any of the paintjobs that come with the kit, these two catch my eye the most.

y4m1KilN8hlisJcBiVnjvejWxcZHCKxxFeUbmfC3

High quality photos in the reference book. Pretty handy!

This truly is pretty inspiring kit and I can't wait to do one of those Air Combat Meet -paintjobs on a Starfighter :) 

• Like 15

Ooh some nice stuff in that box! The box art scheme looks pretty exciting as well, isn't that one provided?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JeroenS said:

The box art scheme looks pretty exciting as well, isn't that one provided?

Certainly, that is one of the options. Pretty cool looking at that :) 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, reini said:

Certainly, that is one of the options. Pretty cool looking at that :) 

OK so I'm voting for that one 🙂 

• Like 1

Nice choice of subject Reini. 

Having built both both the Kinetic and Hasegawa kits I can say that while the Kinetic kit is newer and more up to date the Hasegawa 104 is still a great build. If the rivets bother you to much there’s always the Daco replacement parts for the wings, tailplane and tip tank fins. 

Look forward to some progress. 

James 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, reini said:

Some aftermarket stuff I got. Not sure whether the 'remove before flight' tags are correct for the Japanese machine but if not I will just leave them out.

You look to be all good on the DNR tags. The 1st photo of an F-104J has them. 

https://nara.getarchive.net/amp/media/a-left-front-view-of-a-parked-japan-air-self-defense-force-jasdf-f-104j-starfighter-aa1b16

By the way 518 would be my choice. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Thanks 1

nice reini. looking forward to this.

i've built both hase and kinetic kits and both are super.

rivets on the wings on the hase is the only negative as you have pointed out already. 

daco set is expensive and you can buy a kinetic kit and perhaps swap the wings for the same price in some circumstances. but both are expensive fixes so i'd either live with them or fill them manually.

• Like 1

welcome along Reini, haven't seen one of your builds for a while., and what a great choice!

Those special Eduard kits are , will those nice extras and the book to boot! :thumbsup:

To tell the truth I've never built a F-104 before, had the Hasegawa version with the Daco set and sold the lot (for a nice profit), have the Kinetic model but want to get rid of it as well. Anyway....

Nice to see you have some extra AM stuff as well!  :thumbsup: Though I do wonder about the resin pitot probes, brass master Model ones would have been a bit safer, trust me you'll only stab yourself once! :D

As far as the scheme goes all 3 look great though the left hand one is my fav.

Good luke with the build, I expect there'll be a lot of interest in this one.

• Like 1

On 10/05/2022 at 10:46, trickyrich said:

To tell the truth I've never built a F-104 before, had the Hasegawa version with the Daco set and sold the lot (for a nice profit), have the Kinetic model but want to get rid of it as well. Anyway....

:( Noo! You gotta have a Zipper for the Century Fighters GB!

y4mtE_h_scUiEJtK4GalUJxOiYEvXPPHWMA6miT5

I made a start. Not much but I can say it's started. Cockpit has it's base colour.

y4mqMEm3euzIEPQdgCu3IX5yrCCH3wdPrcVy088f

I'm still deciding whether I will actually use some of the PE parts, I think the plastic cockpit has some great details that should really pop out after some paint. I will probably use the PE instrument panel but probably not the side consoles.

y4mGXuOlQ9nmPvK3iwUjynpsAdNekxvzrKzSyZY6

Fuselage also got some bits painted and glued on. Cockpit side walls has some colour, wheel well and engine are attached and primed/painted.

• Like 5

I would probably use those side panels, but I think you'll be able to make something of what the kit has provided, that looks like pretty good detail right there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, reini said:

:( Noo! You gotta have a Zipper for the Century Fighters GB!

we shall see...

I agree, lease the side consoles alone, they look to have nice raised detail so they should pop (like a T-72 turret.. 🤣) with some careful painting.

• Haha 2

y4ma9ewUiLTCLv-ffrKd8ZyOjEWpn7hfU6kNbtQK

y4mvePr-ekJs3gdFOIGzuStPPHw6qI_dey1s7AD9

Holes for the lights needed to be drilled out for some reason. Then the clear parts were installed and I painted them with clear paint on the other side, creating these nice coloured lights.

y4mx2qoQnKTb1xXDmfEzxwnDBb5juJYD1MzpXCsy

Then onto the cockpit. I picked out the panels and some other details with black.

y4mz6Fz73-emHKrruvlaOyA78f0qKMLIWe4xLpL7

Then some drybrushing, with couple different greys, concentrating on the edges and details.

y4mkn2LtAjOwa7IgETrj1iyymODfOpqc_jivp1Ta

Then picked out the details with a fine brush - like all the buttons and such. Some minor chipping also applied with dark grey and little bit shading on the recesses with Tamiya Panel liner.

y4mL1dcWbby2duxggAXytUkf8_r2ZEzTZYneLX_j

And this is how it looks now. It's done - but of course it's missing all the most detailed stuff like the ejection seat and instrument panel. There are also some PE parts for the canopy railing and such but I think I will add all those at a later stage.

y4mNoIgGtehTWJlmIrIDK0zgxyWWeM1Lmwy4TPXW

y4meFU_McaVaUWg4HGZOkoBoiOtG3b8A9WrzF4EW

Summer GB wouldn't be the same without some BBQ, right @Marlin ? :D  I made some south korean style bulgogi beef.

y4mLyVNYDvuyFMN1oXct3ev-mIpZ_odaLrzZQQDi

Served with rice & kimchi and wrapped in pak choi. :like:

• Like 11

Very nice project!

The Hase Starfighter is a nice and trouble free affair (if you ignore the inaccuracies, or get the dedicated correction  improvement and detailing set from DACO :) )

tasty!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Marlin said:

Hhmmm Bulgogi... :tasty:  :eat: 

And your Starfighter looks great too @reini

/Bosse

This is funny... I haven't seen Bosse on the forum in ages (I guess we're not in the same GB's!), but literally the first post about food and, lo and behold, there he is! 🙂 

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

This is funny... I haven't seen Bosse on the forum in ages (I guess we're not in the same GB's!), but literally the first post about food and, lo and behold, there he is! 🙂 

I'm still here, but not in this GB. 

At the moment I'm in the Bomber etc GB. 

And I also have an active thread in the Armour section. 

As you might remember our apartment building is under renovation and soon they'll start in our flat. 

So I'm about to pack everything up and close down shop, I guess for the rest of 2022.  :( 

But I'll try and keep my thread in the Armour section live for the duration. 

I've bought myself an airbrush which I plan to learn how to use. :D

/Bosse 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Marlin said:

As you might remember our apartment building is under renovation and soon they'll start in our flat. 

So I'm about to pack everything up and close down shop, I guess for the rest of 2022.  :( 

Ouch, good luck with that! Will you be staying somewhere else for the duration? 

13 minutes ago, Marlin said:

I've bought myself an airbrush which I plan to learn how to use. :D

Excellent! I'm sure you'll love it. 

14 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

Ouch, good luck with that! Will you be staying somewhere else for the duration? 

Excellent! I'm sure you'll love it. 

Yes, we'll have to move to another apartment for 10 weeks starting mid September.

As for the airbrush, we'll see. :hmmm:

Since it was rather expensive I hope so. 

/Bosse

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Marlin said:

As for the airbrush, we'll see. :hmmm:

Since it was rather expensive I hope so. 

There is a learning curve - but once you learn it, it's real hard to go back :D

And for all the problems you might (will) have - solution to those in 90% of the cases is to clean the airbrush :D I know I'm too lazy to do that sometimes but keeping it clean is essential. As for the rest 10% of the problems - wrong paint thickness and/or air pressure.

I hope you can do atleast some modelling despite your move!

• Like 1

y4mY0vdhMQ5l4Ayme45gxBESjI-YfvTWbAl5oeP4

Fuselage closed. No problems here, gotta love Hasegawa kits.

y4m_IvxLoaHVVY63sIwl-F5UTG67hij4TIeZLcPB

This part was pretty tricky, two separate panels for the underside. I worked them in while the glue for the fuselage was still bit soft so I could sort any alignment issues. But they went in pretty nicely.

y4msP9qG4teMznqTi1_kBc_-SyEk-lVsY8ftFOVQ

Only putty needed was to level out the centerline pylon plate.

y4m8gYZ0br3sSbHUTxCDdyyEB0-G7EFjQHZBGrwZ

y4mhl7Vpv085Pxl6a-_JOpXhyrjEG6RRAJOYbuvD

There are quite a few ejection pin marks that needed sorting out.

y4m_jtZMYDBfmEHifNRfPPM5D70p50MwMf0puwwv

Wings coming together.

y4m2eWqb3Cl1s2GmujsScGmsfQjWW5MFCxlSM5RP

Just gotta love the beautiful lines of an 104 ^_^

y4mke8JrN1oe18TWwXzpruWVVgjEJt5uZq-OuQe-

Without the tip tanks it's even more obvious how small the wings are! I wonder why they bothered to put them in the first place. You usually see Starfighters with wing tanks but in the book that came with the kit, there's plenty of photos of Japanese 104's without tip tanks and I think it's quite cool. I'm gonna do a super slick Zipper with no external load at all. And I think I'm going for the cover art scheme as @JeroenS suggested. Some of the camo options look real tempting but the cover art scheme is so different and the red & white should look great with the metal finish.

• Like 8

39 minutes ago, reini said:

it's even more obvious how small the wings are! I wonder why they bothered to put them in the first place. 

You're actually wondering why they put wings on her? 

🙂 

• Haha 3