Second Henschel 126 (PK-26, 1974-5) - Desert Scheme - Finished

I thought I would make some late night progress last night, but I managed to fumble and juggle the fuselage and drop it, where a combination of brittle plastic and concrete fireplace did this. Ow:

E89-DF982-6-F7-B-47-F4-B277-C78-F9-F502-

I managed to find all the pieces this morning, some of which were four feet away wedged in a pile of boxes! I see superglue in my future…

• Confused 1
  • Sad 12

On 16/05/2022 at 10:29, AdrianMF said:

E89-DF982-6-F7-B-47-F4-B277-C78-F9-F502-

Not knowing what exactly I was looking at in this pic I was just in total awe of how amazing the paint work looked. So I shot back a page to catch up.  Now I’m all caught up.     “Ahem”

NNnnoooooooo!!!!! Dang them butter fingers. I thought it was just myself that did things like that. At least you have all the bits eh. 😀

oh and. I noticed no primer?? You do usually prime right? At least I thought you did. It’s making me twitch thinking about brushing over that bright plastic. 😵😯🤪🥹 No one likes a twitchy modeller. 

Great progress on the massive amounts of plastic you have flying around. You might just need a cup of tea after all this. 🫖

Johnny

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

no primer

Well yes and no. Given that I’m doing multiple coats of thinnish brushed paint, I could call the first coat “primer” if you like. I do use Halfords rattle can grey primer if I’m doing a rattlecan silver finish.

All the bits went back together again - phew! 

Canopy day today:

2-A2-DE95-C-A99-D-4-E36-8323-B4-C2-BBDCA

• Like 12

Zooming in on your latest photo I think I can now see how you’ve got that paint finish.  Lots of criss-cross short strokes with a narrow brush?  But I guess that’s how it was done in real life, only with a brush 72 times wider?!

My long standing method of painting has been to prime with a brushed coat or two of Humbrol 64 light grey enamel (a hangover from my 54 mm figure days) but then airbrush acrylics over that.  Odd, I know. That is until I realised that I could sometimes see the brush strokes in the primer under the airbrushed finish.  So on my current builds I’m trying out an automotive rattle can primer.  Looking good so far.

Great save by the way - I’m getting flashbacks of Gordon Banks and Pele’s flying header in Mexico 1970!

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Dave Slowbuild said:

Lots of criss-cross short strokes with a narrow brush?

Sort of. It’s actually lots of repetitive wavy lines of pretty dilute paint, applied in a different orientation each time. The tailplane in this pic (sorry for repetition) shows about half way through the process:

14-A041-C5-9915-40-A4-AD41-60-C0046-BE26

The great thing is the finished effect just jumps out after you’ve done enough passes. I imagine the real thing was done with a spray gun rather than a six-inch brush, but was probably still an accumulation of random squiggles. Great fun to do.

(the pic also shows that my freehand splinter camo is pretty much as good as when I mark it all out with masking tape, but a lot quicker to do!)

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

It’s actually lots of repetitive wavy lines

Thanks - I get it now.  Works a treat.  And the freehand splinter is pretty sharp too!

I shared @The Spadgent’s surprise that you could boldly paint acrylic straight on to the bare plastic, but clearly with that brand and your method it works.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

…and finished:

1559-EB5-D-12-C4-4230-8-A48-C031-E1-CDF81577-EA7-E-84-A4-42-C0-8-A06-B9-F14-EB7- EEFE6999-262-F-461-C-AF87-2-EC47-E989-FE 

I will get some photos up in the gallery soon. Unfortunately, I don’t have a desert base and there’s no sand in the house! I will have to check out a local building site…

Thanks to our hosts @JOCKNEY and @Rabbit Leader, and everyone who participated in a wonderful GB! Matchbox kits passed me by the first time around, so I’m glad to catch the multicolour goodness the second time!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 16

12 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Congratulations Adrian,

Thanks Pat. I'm pleased with it. I'm so glad I changed the upper wing camouflage now. The paint job looks messy close to but then so did the original!

And I acquired a tablespoon full of "playpit sand" from our local garden shop, so a desert base is now on the cards. 

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 4

A fine looking model.

The paintwork came out very well indeed. The sharpness and fidelity of the cockpit area contrast perfectly and show that the almost slapdash cammo is quite deliberate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• AdrianMF changed the title to Second Henschel 126 (PK-26, 1974-5) - Desert Scheme - Finished
6 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Thank you for the “almost” at least - “quite” is indeterminate!

No slight intended Adrian, you have duplicated the field applied cammo as it was. Any criticism would have to be for the overworked erk who did the paintjob on the real thing. Even then, the varied shades work well in it's intended use.

I'm looking forward to seeing the plane on its desert base. The cammo will come into its own at that point.

• Haha 1

I reckon that is absolutely fantastic Adrian!!

What a triumph

I love that version ...it is a stunning completion of a classic little Matchbox model

Bravo!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Winenut said:

little white blobby

They are little white blobs of the thickest white acrylic paint in my possession, applied with the tip of a cocktail stick!

And now I have a base (still drying) and I need a figure or two to go with this otherwise it will look a bit stark:

23828-EE8-1-BA0-4-F3-B-801-B-B95-E9-F6-E

• Like 3