Nunquam non-paratus Tamiya 1/48 Hawker Siddeley Harrier FRS.1 800Sqn

Fashionably late as usual, but as the title mentioned Never Unprepared. So I would like to throw my hat in the ring with Tamiya's 1/48 Hawker-Siddeley Harrier FRS.1 attached to HMS Hermes

52060552920_3af067c8ac_c.jpg

52059027862_27ec538fef_c.jpg

52060552930_2428fa3cc4_c.jpg

52060098783_d8d31ed34c_c.jpg

52060071646_65f449d210_c.jpg

52060071656_eabcd8252b_c.jpg

With the exception of the decals, this will probably be OOB(yeah,Right) So, onwards and upwards!

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Well 12 days later I'm now getting some progress made. As we all know, the Tamiya FRS.1 isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.and after thought (and against my better judgment, I went ahead and got Eduard's P/E set for this kit. It may not help the looks and  but it definitely won't hurt it either. 

52086759721_ee1e8d1f6d_c.jpg

52086759716_d548ea1741_c.jpg[

So starting with the obligatory office I added the P'E set to the instrument panel and additional metal to the sides of the tub.

The bang seat was the biggest disappointment. It's been ages since I've seen a seat this bare. I almost thought I was building something from Hobbycraft.

The P/E helps but on a scale of 1 to 10 I'll give this improvement a 2 for general principal(only because I've never seen a 1 before. But this is close).

• Like 2

From there  the pegasus engine is next.

52086759726_2226755502_c.jpg

Not bad detail, Downside is it'll be covered up when I glue the engine cover in place.

• Like 3

With everything added I stuck the sides together. The fits better than I expected. here are a few minor gaps and a shelf on one corner of the engine cover that will need to be tended to.

52086782698_dea17b70c2_c.jpg

An since this has raised detail rather than engraved panel lines and I don't want to make a bigger mess I'll used masking tape to keep the filler to a minimum

52086759671_06a9b3606c_c.jpg

I let this dry overnight then sanded everything down.

Once sanded down I painted some aluminum down the seam lines to see if more was needed before proceeding further.

52087257425_7ab9d953dd_c.jpg

The only area needing further work was the engine cover which I expected. So a little bit more especially around the corner step. With as warm as it is today this should be ready to sand in a hour or so. 

• Like 4

While that's drying I thought about what else could be "improved" on. I know I can't fix every error but maybe I  change up a few things to make this a tad more accurate.

So I cut out the by-pass louvers on the intakes.

52087006029_8132ff2151_c.jpg

I'll add the by-pass panels then once the filler has dried and been sanded down I'll paint the upper and lower surfaces before adding the intakes. this make it easier to paint the fuselage as the paint line extends inside the intake. So hope fully I'll have another update later on today once things dry and I can proceed further.

• Like 2

Watching with interest Loren.  I always wondered what the Tamiya Harrier kit goes together like.  I have done an Airfix GR.3 and a Monogram AV-8B into a GR.5.  Are you going white underside or all over grey?  I thought the white was hurriedly painted over on the ship on the way down to the Falklands.  I think this pic was on my little pocket camera about 82 at Mildenhall

tuEi7hX.jpg

27 minutes ago, bar side said:

Watching with interest Loren.  I always wondered what the Tamiya Harrier kit goes together like.  I have done an Airfix GR.3 and a Monogram AV-8B into a GR.5.  Are you going white underside or all over grey?  I thought the white was hurriedly painted over on the ship on the way down to the Falklands.  I think this pic was on my little pocket camera about 82 at Mildenhall

tuEi7hX.jpg

That's my plan, Extra Dk Sea Gray over white. Once I get the plate cover  over the Engine compartment properly shaped. I've built the Monogram Harrier years ago. Haven't tried the Airfix kit. it's on my "to get" list. The monogram kit went together a lot better than this kit. and had more detail. The reason I got this kit, I liked the nose profile better than the Marine version.

• Like 1

Regarding the Airfix kit, go with the Kinetic one instead.  The kit is undersized around the cockpit & wing joint is not good. T came from the time of the old Airfix Jaguar, Buccaneer and Lightning. I got a resin Pegasus some time back but haven’t used it yet.  The FRS.1 is much better looking to me than the FRS.2.  

Thanks. I've built both the Jaguar and Buccaneer and have the Lightning FA2 to build. But it's going to need some work which is why I've held off starting it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well after finding out that the harriers were re-painted on the way down south I did some scrounging around for the later roundels in my decal stash/Morgue file. Luckily I found jut enough to do the

job. So changing gears some what, I've gone with a solid Extra Dark Sea Gray. After  the filler dried and I sanded everything down to where it should be, I pre-shaded the panels lines.

52117516446_dde3a98d82_c.jpg

Then gave the whole lot a coat of dark gray.

• Like 1

Next item that needed some attention and finessing, the exhaust ports. The kit un-wisely decided to split the funnels in two. This makes it pretty much impossible to get rid of the seam....unless

52118024850_a57fd3bd50_c.jpg

Yu are nuts like me. Then its just a matter of removing the vanes(which are the wrong shape and size anyways. After cutting the pieces off I used my white filler to take care of the seams. After drying overnight I sanded everything down as smooth as possible. The vane replacements I made from very thin card stock then painted burnt metal.

52116492857_6c4e66fb45_b.jpg

Then tended to the gunpods. I cut the forward end off and replaced with brass rod for the gun barrel, 's a touch oversized but will have to do, And I added some bugles laterally along the pods sides.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, bar side said:

Good call on the all over grey.  I think they were literally roller painted.  The white on the roundels were over painted too I think 

I'm not going to press my luck painting over the roundels. I don't have a correct shade of blue and nor a steady enough hand to paint over the white . So these roundels were painted by a crew member with very steady hands "wink". I may have achieved the rolled on look with the gray paint by just varying the overall coat of gray in a splotchy type pattern.

Getting the landing gear attached so it can set on it's pins properly.

52117554228_1586ea3d4d_c.jpg

I should have boxed the nose  gear bay in rather than leaving the gapeing maw the kit creates but not really feasible now that the halves are together.

• Like 2

Then I used something I got years ago and though I had lost. A company by the name of Flying Leathernecks Models came out with a self adhesive vinyl Harrier Canopy Det cord. It's for the -8B canopy but with a bit of modification will work just fine and I don't have try and paint the cord on by hand .:yahoo:I did some checking they are still in business (Shocker!)and still carry the stick-ons.

https://www.flyingleathernecksdecals.com/c/148-vinyl-detail-sets

and still very in-expensive.

52116492862_d7ee48256d_c.jpg

52116492842_6dee65c632_c.jpg0

• Like 3

52116492832_66bdd92968_c.jpg

52117517321_9322417c80_c.jpg

I finished the cockpit with the instrument panel, Bang seat, and windscreen additions. then gave everything a coat gloss varnish. I'll let this dry then start adding the decals and then begin the final finishing touches.  This build is just about in the bag, so until then stay safe, stay healthy, and model on!

• Like 3

Thanks Colin, A little fiddly to get lined up properly in the curve but look great. Here's the link for anyone wanting a set:

https://www.flyingleathernecksdecals.com/p/flv48003-av-8b-canopy-det-cord 

They have all kinds of neat stuff in other scales too.

Well time to put this little offering on the finishing block.

52120814650_5a6bf49e4e_c.jpg

Attached the exhaust vanes and a little more detail to the gun pods

52120814725_74ae8d5a41_c.jpg

Opened up the vents on the top and the tail

52120561919_5351fdd01c_c.jpg

started adding the decals.

• Like 1

Attached the ordinance, namely the AIM-9LSidewinder missiles and a centerline 1000lb iron bomb.

52120342803_65ef19099a_c.jpg

I had read where the normal load out for CAP Ops was to put a 1000 pounder on to do a quick toss on before patrolling for flying interlopers.

I didn't  have any reference photos for the hard point so I fashioned a generic one from spares box.

It's hard to see but the missile head I painted with mirror and when dried a coat of Tamiya Transparent Smoke

52120314076_bf615c2f8e_c.jpg

Since I decided to shift gears on the overall look I had to scramble to find more appropriate markings especially the roundels. I know I could have done as the crews did and hand painted but the closest blue I had solidified, and I'm not sure I could have gotten it painted properly anyways. The aircraft plane number(not the registration) is incorrect, but again the closest I could come up with.

• Like 1

Once the decals had set I gave everything a semi-matte varnish coat to even out the sheen.

52120814705_5fe40568e7_c.jpg

52120561894_474a964fa4_c.jpg

52120814700_637a698f02_c.jpg

52120342773_b569b24ae8_c.jpg

52120342768_c19d9661a1_c.jpg

52120814690_59d9db5c45_c.jpg

And for good measure comparing the FRS.1 to Monogram's AV-8B

52120314011_819fe61ca1_c.jpg

The Marines version does look a little more "beefier" than the FRS.1.

So there you have it. Not a bad little build, but after building Some of Tamiya's other offerings like the HE-219, Lancaster, or their G4M Betty I'm surprised at the quality and detail( or lack thereof).

Though with a little care will make for a decent addition to the shelf. So thanks to @Enzo Matrix for putting this little Soirée on and everyone the that has stopped by and gave great suggestions and information to help get this across the finish line. I'll post in the Gallery momentarily. So until next time, as I like to say, stay safe, stay healthy, and model on!:pilot:

• Like 4