Dennis Waterman passed.

Corsairfoxfouruncle

Just read this, Sorry to hear he passed. 

https://amp.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2022/may/08/dennis-waterman-minder-and-new-tricks-star-dies-aged-74

Ive only ever seen bits and pieces of “The Sweeney” and wish I could've seen more. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2
  • Sad 3

Back in the early 90's i was a barman in a small back street boozer in Leeds and he was filming close by. At lunchtime the pub was full of the crew and in walks a very scruffy fella. Billy the landlord was a real no nonsense type of bloke. He saw him and said in a loud voice 'don't serve that tramp' (he added a choice word before tramp) I looked and thought i know him from somewhere and it was Dennis in costume for the shoot. Suffice to say he got served and was a real nice guy.

Regards 

Steve

• Like 4

An absolute icon for me. George Carter and indeed DI Regan (John Thaw) of the Sweeney represented a familiar contrast to the US cop shows in my teens. Actually I  couldn't  believe  London could be so violent in the seventies having  being there on a school tour. My teenage illusions have been shattered  since.

Even  my native  Dublin makes the 70s Sweeney look understated these days.

Terry Mc Cann his other iconic character in Minder I really enjoyed.

After I drop my boys to  school most mornings. I settle  in as befits my age and have  breakfast and watch ITV4 repeats of the  Sweeney, Minder, Avengers, The Saint, The Professionals.

Most of the cast of these shows are  now dead. At least Dennis  Waterman is still with us I thought.

No more. I  find that really sad.

Now my only remaining icon is Martin Shaw, Doyle in the  Professionals. I actually worked him in George Gently. Plus he's a fellow pilot.

It's  sad when you reach an age when your  contemporaries are fading out.

End of an era.

Edited by noelh
  • Like 3

Sad news indeed.

In the Seventies and Eighties my father-in-law was a policeman in the real Sweeney (Flying Squad) and met Dennis Waterman and John Thaw on quite a few occasions at various functions. He said that they were real gents and up for a few drinks.

Dave

• Like 3