Academy 1:350 Oliver Hazard Perry FFG - HMAS Darwin - Royal Australian Navy

Academy 1:350 Oliver Hazard Perry FFG - HMAS Darwin - Royal Australian Navy

Gday BM folk. This project was certainly a labour of love. The last warship I served on - HMAS Darwin - The Mighty Phoenix....... I maintained the SPS-49 Radar on this ship (hence my profile picture). Previous to this final posting I also served on FFGs HMAS Canberra and Adelaide as a Sonar Maintainer. Knowing the inside and outside of FFGs like the back of my hand, building this was like a wonderful trip down memory lane.

There's some really good PE with this kit and also added the RAN decal set and had some custom 816 squadron decals made up for the Seahawk. I scratched some additional bits based on the version I served on including fin stabilisers, GDP Kevlar Shield, Nulka Decoy Launchers and Electro-Optical Targeting System (EOTS).

Hope you like it. WIP is here:

Cheers

JJ

The plaque is made from HMAS Darwin's Gun Metal after it was scrapped.

I hope you liked it, thanks for stopping by.

Cheers

JJ

• Like 46
  • Thanks 2

That's really nice work, a great end result there. Did you use a specific PE set for her?

On 5/8/2022 at 11:44 PM, Bertie Psmith said:

That’s a fine looking model

Thanks Bertie, it was actually easier in the sense that I didn't have to draw from many reference pics and knew what should and shouldn't be there for my ship, but on the other side of the coin, the difficulty was probably my expectations on myself - I had to fight the obsession with perfection so I could just enjoy it and be happy with my improvements in the craft !!

On 5/9/2022 at 5:27 AM, PAUL67 said:

excellent build thanks for posting

Cheers Paul

• Like 1

On 5/9/2022 at 1:30 PM, MRMRL said:

That's really nice work

Cheers, yes the PE set comes with the kit - its Pontos. The one that came with the kit was the basic PE however there's an advanced PE kit with way more detail. I opted to go this way because I've only just started working with this type of PE and ultimately this will be displayed in my office so the detail would probably be overlooked. That said, now in hindsight, I would have gone with the advanced kit...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JJ2016 said:

the difficulty was probably my expectations on myself - I had to fight the obsession with perfection so I could just enjoy it

That's been my experience. I've never yet made a satisfactory model of anything that I worked on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JJ2016 said:

Cheers Jeff, did you serve in the RAN ?

Gidday, as a reservist for 14 years active and another 6-7 on the books as a standby I think we were called. Most of my time was on Attack and Fremantle class patrol boats but I sailed across the Bight twice in 1981, once on HMAS Melbourne and once on HMAS Perth. I did a stint of maintenance on HMAS Adelaide while alongside at HMAS Stirling. I was a QMG back then.    Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2

I really like the finish, your personal knowledge really has paid off with the finer details. 

I do like this kit, it's a pretty honest representation of the ship. 

On 5/11/2022 at 5:31 PM, Bandsaw Steve said:

Great job!

Cheers Steve, maybe a wooden FFG on the cards ?

On 5/11/2022 at 5:48 PM, stevej60 said:

Superb work

Cheers Steve

• Like 1

On 5/11/2022 at 10:17 PM, Alan P said:

I really like the finish

Cheers Alan

On 5/12/2022 at 2:47 AM, phildagreek said:

Nice job, looks good!

Cheers Phil

On 5/12/2022 at 3:12 AM, robgizlu said:

That's a great build

Thanks Rob

• 4 weeks later...

Love It!  As Someone who served on the Original - USS Oliver Hazard Perry (FFG-7) in the early 90s - You have done her proud!   (I was First Lt - in USN parlance, that is the Deck Ops Officer - not XO!)

• Like 1

Nice job JJ.👍

I served in that ship 1991-92. Some good times for sure.

I also served in FFG 03 Sydney (first sea posting) and FFG 05 Melbourne.

Feel like building 3 more for me?

I have tried to build those three (FFG 03, 04, 05) myself over the years.......... but for some reason I cannot for the life of me get them completed.🤔 

• Like 1