some mini AFVs are escaped from its box ...

17 hours ago, Yg Models said:

i let the T-54B (Takom) out, even it has finer details, i still feel Revell ver's T-55A is a better model kit. 🤔

Apart from the Revell turret being totally the wrong shape and it being slightly too short (not so noticeable when building an NVA or Czech tank ) it’s a good source for wheels and tracks and a few other bits. Unfortunately there is no good kit of the T 55 yet! The closest is the Hobby Master die cast although that has horrible wheels and so so tracks (which is where Revell comes in handy)

6 hours ago, Yg Models said:

same as ZTZ-99A, thx for explain in hardcore fans perspective. 😁

Yeah some things just bug me, the Revell T 55 could have been such a nice kit, if only they had taken the time to do the turret properly, same as the Trumpeter and border models ZTZ 99A. It’s not like these companies don’t have the real thing to look at! Revell also annoy me in their kits, WW2 kits are fairly decent (as far as I’m aware) modern stuff, apart from the Bundeswehr vehicles and the Challenger all the others have major issues.

Maybe I need to get a life😂😂😂

• Like 2

On 9/19/2022 at 3:44 PM, Old pro said:

all the others have major issues

does 1/35 series better?

even bandai keeps finding way to reuse the molding, this kinds of small size model company must maximize the use of mold. otherwise, would like Games Workshop which has finest (?) molding, but its price is terribly high...😒

21 hours ago, Yg Models said:

does 1/35 series better?

even bandai keeps finding way to reuse the molding, this kinds of small size model company must maximize the use of mold. otherwise, would like Games Workshop which has finest (?) molding, but its price is terribly high...😒

I have to say yes! Although Revell and Trumpeter are not small companies, also they take more care with their 1/35 stuff as there is a lot more competition. I realise that the 1/35 and 1/72 scale markets are quite different and held to a different standard but there does seem to be a case of “that will do” for the small scale market. It’s not about reusing old moulds, once they have been made of course they have to be used. I don’t expect a highly detailed model to the standards of 1/35 scale, although it can be done, Zvezda , Takom being some of the best, but poor shape and detail! I can forgive a lot of errors or missing details if the basic shape is something I can work with. A case in point the Revell Warrior great detail but really messed up in shape, it still looks like a warrior when built but correcting it requires so much change it becomes practically a scratch build, the Trumpeter Warrior on the other hand has less detail but is a better shape, instead of having to chop and change the vehicle you can just concentrate on the detail you want to add!

moaning over 😂😂😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Old pro said:

has less detail but is a better shape

it is good if they mould the AFV in correct shape. For diehard fans, shape is high priority since they have lots of info, technical drawings, books, or visit actual AFV in museum. On the other hand, for casual modeler like me, there is no AFV museum in HK (i never see a real AFV through my eye), i don't collect & study those drawing, info, photos before build. My first priority is having a brand willing to publish AFV in 1/72, so i could enjoy painting interested AFV, then add it to my mini collection.

anyway, it is good to know the shape of T-55 (revell) is wrong.😆

22 minutes ago, sardaukar said:

trumpeter T-62, very disappointing

another poor shaped AFV? i can't figure the difference in b/w T-55, T-54, T-62 etc from the images in internet. 😂

T-62 is in my wishing list too, but is the upgrade ver: T-62MV, which has "Kontakt-1" (ERA) on hull & turret. I interested in those ERA blocks 😆 

Edited by Yg Models
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Yg Models said:

another poor shaped AFV? i can't figure the difference in b/w T-55, T-54, T-62 etc from the images in internet. 😂

T-62 is in my wishing list too, but is the updated ver: T-62MV, which has "Kontakt-1" (ERA) on hull & turret. I interested in those ERA blocks 😆 

The glaring problem on the t-62 by trumpeter is the lack of turret overhang and instead they have just moulded a solid piece of plastic straight down to the fenders. as far as I know the rest of the model is ok. what I find really annoying is that trumpeter show the 1/35 version on the box for their 1/72 T-62 kits so they are aware of it and I'd argue that is false advertising.

46 minutes ago, Yg Models said:

this is really bad advertising 😠.

this only happens on T-62, or all the 1/72 boxart that using AFV kit image are 1/35 ver?

I believe it happens with others tanks too although I don't know which.

Id check small details that aren't common in their other 1/72 kits.

19 hours ago, sardaukar said:

I believe it happens with others tanks too although I don't know which.

Id check small details that aren't common in their other 1/72 kits.

This seems to be a trend on all the Trumpeter later 1/72 scale models, having a picture of a 1/35 model on the box is definitely false advertising, however once you know it shouldn’t catch you out anymore.

regarding the T 62, yeah the lack of turret overhang is annoying and a pain to correct, but at least the basic shape is correct ( turret is a bit iffy but passable) more annoying for me is the fact that on the later models they have moulded the wading covers on the engine deck shut, which means building a whole new deck! At the moment though it is the only option unless you can get hold of one of the old ACE kits.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Yg Models said:

it is good if they mould the AFV in correct shape. For diehard fans, shape is high priority since they have lots of info, technical drawings, books, or visit actual AFV in museum. On the other hand, for casual modeler like me, there is no AFV museum in HK (i never see a real AFV through my eye), i don't collect & study those drawing, info, photos before build. My first priority is having a brand willing to publish AFV in 1/72, so i could enjoy painting interested AFV, then add it to my mini collection.

anyway, it is good to know the shape of T-55 (revell) is wrong.😆

There is no right or wrong when it comes to building, each of us should build for their own pleasure and if you enjoy what you are doing, more power to you. I learnt from when I first got interested in tanks to spot the difference by shape rather than detail, of course as I learned more I got to spot the details between different Mks but the general shape would be “ that’s a T 54/55” and then down to the details for a T 54, 55, 55A, etc etc.

i used to focus too much on getting all the details right, whilst I enjoyed the challenge, I wasn’t actually building and finishing very much! These days I have scaled it back to getting the shape and the major details right as I love the working out how to do it, but am not so keen on the painting and finishing part! 
my criticism is not about how or why you build, you should do what you enjoy and not be pressured into doing it a certain way, it is a criticism of the kits themselves, I feel there are not enough (if any) reviews of kits and their problems especially now that Revell kit prices have shot up! I originally bought the T 55 hoping it would be good, although I found it not acceptable, I did get some nice spares and lovely wheels from it, but the price was low enough, not something that I would necessarily do now they cost more ( although I did by the KMT 5 version to enhance my own T 55s ) The Italeri T 55 is another poor kit, you can probably make a good one by banging the kits together, the Italeri one is deficient where the Revell one is best and vice versa 😂😂

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Old pro said:

There is no right or wrong when it comes to building, each of us should build for their own pleasure and if you enjoy what you are doing, more power to you. I learnt from when I first got interested in tanks to spot the difference by shape rather than detail, of course as I learned more I got to spot the details between different Mks but the general shape would be “ that’s a T 54/55” and then down to the details for a T 54, 55, 55A, etc etc.

i used to focus too much on getting all the details right, whilst I enjoyed the challenge, I wasn’t actually building and finishing very much! These days I have scaled it back to getting the shape and the major details right as I love the working out how to do it, but am not so keen on the painting and finishing part! 
my criticism is not about how or why you build, you should do what you enjoy and not be pressured into doing it a certain way, it is a criticism of the kits themselves, I feel there are not enough (if any) reviews of kits and their problems especially now that Revell kit prices have shot up! I originally bought the T 55 hoping it would be good, although I found it not acceptable, I did get some nice spares and lovely wheels from it, but the price was low enough, not something that I would necessarily do now they cost more ( although I did by the KMT 5 version to enhance my own T 55s ) The Italeri T 55 is another poor kit, you can probably make a good one by banging the kits together, the Italeri one is deficient where the Revell one is best and vice versa 😂😂

I like the T-54/55 series and have every plastic kit produced, kitbashing does seem to be the way to get an accurate one but turrets are an issue. There is a lot of aftermarket for these too except some of the after market uses the faulty kits as masters 😕. @Old pro what do you think of the ammo T-54B in terms of accuracy?

7 hours ago, sardaukar said:

I like the T-54/55 series and have every plastic kit produced, kitbashing does seem to be the way to get an accurate one but turrets are an issue. There is a lot of aftermarket for these too except some of the after market uses the faulty kits as masters 😕. @Old pro what do you think of the ammo T-54B in terms of accuracy?

In terms of accuracy the ammo/ Takom T 54 is very good and needs little adding to it, the choice of smoke drums on the rear and not fuel drums is odd, whilst not incorrect for a T 54B the fuel drums would have been more likely but easily sourced elsewhere. The hull with slight modifications is also good for the T 55 and Chinese type 59( along with the turret of course)

Edited by Old pro
Added information
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, sardaukar said:

I like the T-54/55 series and have every plastic kit produced, kitbashing does seem to be the way to get an accurate one but turrets are an issue. There is a lot of aftermarket for these too except some of the after market uses the faulty kits 

Yeah that can be a problem, depending on the manufacturer, Tankograd were the best turrets you could get hold of before the fiasco in Ukraine, ARMORY were going to produce a nice T 64 replacement turret but it never saw the light of day (although their ZSU 23 4 is now available) seems to be a deficit in modern corrections as ww2 and German every conceivable modification seems to be available. On the way used to be a good source of information but lately only for WW2 and German stuff, and just lip service to anything else.

8 hours ago, Yg Models said:

after railway gun, i let last three AFV: large truck cum trailers join the long waiting list. 😂

so i have space for next batch of AFV now 😆

52376264823_236693c9e0_z.jpg

52376042341_6e70da61db_z.jpg

52376354389_4639719bf6_z.jpg

52376461865_a07e542336_z.jpg

52376462085_be6fc02fcd_z.jpg

52376354514_19f18eb9a9_z.jpg

52376462580_bd19293c6b_z.jpg

52376042046_e4caeb416e_z.jpg

52376264878_1240cb101f_z.jpg

Some very nice models here, that patriot launcher looks cool, I have the tank transporter version, i need to get building :)

after got the Flak 36, i get Flak 38 on yesterday. however, it is even bigger than Flak36, can't mount on middle-east truck as i assume.😂

52381955772_37aae3f2ec_z.jpg

52382894366_5a59bb184e_z.jpg

52381955622_73d80dc711_z.jpg

also, i bought a resin Tiger-I -w crews, its quality is much better than i wish.👍

52383322525_75d574f21a_z.jpg

52383322395_c1394d9a41_z.jpg

52383135943_d904c52404_z.jpg

3 hours ago, Yg Models said:

can't mount on middle-east truck as i assume.😂

It wouldn't surprise me if someone did although you might need something bigger than a Toyota pickup. There is some interesting ww2 equipment made it into the Arab/Israeli wars. The Germans themselves during WW2 mounted flak guns on almost any vehicle big enough, halftracks, trucks, panzers etc. I'm sure I saw a flak gun mounted on top of a Maus recently.

8 hours ago, sardaukar said:

I saw a flak gun mounted on top of a Maus recently

I saw this one, it came from a modeling youtuber i like. I began 1/72 AFV is because watched his trailers. And because this trailer, i go get my Maus too. 😁

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZwwR8bVV8o

Edited by Yg Models
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Yg Models said:

I saw this one, it came from a modeling youtuber i like. I began 1/72 AFV is because watched his trailers. And because this trailer, i go get my Maus too. 😁

Everybody should build a what if or fantasy vehicle and let your imagination run wild, it’s really quite relaxing 😂😂

5 hours ago, Yg Models said:

ah yes plasmo, that's where I saw it. totally realistic 😁 can't wait to see your take.