Malta Spitfire IXc Color Scheme

e8n2

Eduard has released a weekend edition kit for the Spitfire Mk IXc.  I already have about 25 or so Spits so I don't need another kit.  The weekend kit uses the G trees for the wing and fuselage.  I have the Royal Class combo and that has the G trees, and the AZ Joypack Spitfire Mk IX can be built as either an early or late IXc.  The marking option of the box top looks very interesting.  The instructions say that this scheme worked very well over the ocean, since it was operating from Malta, and call for Dark Mediterranean Blue, but the box top painting looks like a lot lighter color.  So now I am at bit of a quandry.  Should it be Dark or Light Mediterranean Blue, or some other shade of blue?  If it is one of the Mediterranean Blues, what might the Humbrol equivalent be?  I wouldn't mind getting the Colourcoats paint, but I'm not sure of the availability on this side of the pond.  The Mr Color they show on the instructions is for U.S. Insignia Blue which seems too dark.  The rest of the markings I can pull together from what I already have on hand.

Later,

Dave

Darn I forgot to include the boxtop from Scalemates:

1407567-17841-41-720.jpg

Edited by e8n2
Added picture of Boxtop Artwork

the contemporary photo of T-Z EN500 shows a very dark overall colour, much darker than roundel blue

ilj

I have doubts. Malta is not my area of interest, so I'll be glad to be corrected.

When MkIX came to Malta the need for special camouflage was not a priority any more. The danger for the island was gone, the intensity of the battle was gone. Invasion of Italy was supposed to be a new battlefield. Other Maltan new Spitfires do show classic two colour camouflage on top.

The only pic of T-Z I know is of quite poor quality.

249sqdn-spitfire-9-qrendi.jpg

I worked on it just a little bit and in my opinion it is required to invest a lot of will in it to see one colour scheme on upper surfaces.

249sqdn-spitfire-9-qrendi.jpg.4a233ac8fe

• Like 5

In the above photo there are colour demarcation lines between the spinner and the exhaust and,less obviously ,

on the wings.

Also the yellow l/e stripes are still there.As these were not a required marking in the ME, I would Suggest that this is a 

poor quality shot of a Spitfire in DFS.HTH,

Derek S

• Like 2

OK, having had another look (above photo), I think maybe 'much darker than roundel blue' NOT so much

it still looks to me like some kind of dark overpaint... I'm wondering if the lighter areas visible on the outer upper wings are the roundels

"the contemporary photo of T-Z EN500 shows a very dark overall colour, much darker than roundel blue

ilj"

• 1 year later...

OK here is my model of this aircraft... speculative 😉

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

Looks very nice!  What did you use for the lower color, Azure Blue or something else?

Later,

Dave

8 hours ago, e8n2 said:

Looks very nice!  What did you use for the lower color, Azure Blue or something else?

Later,

Dave

Xtracolour Azure Blue, lightened slightly with white

A nice subject! OK, I will carefully try to stay on the edge of this potential minefield - I'd say that if it was in DFS, we would see some OG segments standing out on the mid/rear fuselage, poor quality notwithstanding, in particular as there is ***something*** visible behind the spinner (and I think above the port exhausts). Moving into the minefield, I feel the lower cowling is too light for MSG - it appears to me about on par with the yellow leading edges. @ilj, I find your interpretation of the different colour behind the spinner as wear convincing. Stupid question - would an ENxxx serialled machine typically have single cannon blisters?

Don't take box art as gospel.  They are done to persuade you to buy the kit, not as a realistic presentation of colours.  There are limits to printer's inks too although I know that a darker blue is on the Pantone fandeck.

• Like 1

The beauty of Malta Spitfires is that you somewhat have carte blanche - the aircraft could possibly be a different colour the day following a photo (although more so in1942 than 43). So if you're worried about accuracy, I'd say it would be up to someone to definitively prove you wrong - go with whatever you feel is right and looks good.

12 hours ago, Phil.P said:

The beauty of Malta Spitfires is that you somewhat have carte blanche - the aircraft could possibly be a different colour the day following a photo (although more so in1942 than 43). So if you're worried about accuracy, I'd say it would be up to someone to definitively prove you wrong - go with whatever you feel is right and looks good.

I understand what you are saying and I have done that at times myself.  Since I build for myself and not a contest it is not that big a deal.  However there are times, and this particular example is one of those times, just for my own knowledge, I would like to know if it was just in one topside color or something else.  Still haven't built it yet, but plan to eventually.

Later,

Dave

3 hours ago, e8n2 said:

I understand what you are saying and I have done that at times myself.  Since I build for myself and not a contest it is not that big a deal.  However there are times, and this particular example is one of those times, just for my own knowledge, I would like to know if it was just in one topside color or something else.  Still haven't built it yet, but plan to eventually.

Later,

Dave

Barring new information, we cannot know. And at this point, it's very unlikely we will get any further information. One possible source would be the negative for that photo, which if it was still in reasonable condition could be printed properly and printed to show more information e.g. by increasing the contrast. The amount of information lost in the various processes used to get that digital image on here can be quite large.