Malta Spitfire IXc Color Scheme

e8n2

Posted (edited)

Eduard has released a weekend edition kit for the Spitfire Mk IXc.  I already have about 25 or so Spits so I don't need another kit.  The weekend kit uses the G trees for the wing and fuselage.  I have the Royal Class combo and that has the G trees, and the AZ Joypack Spitfire Mk IX can be built as either an early or late IXc.  The marking option of the box top looks very interesting.  The instructions say that this scheme worked very well over the ocean, since it was operating from Malta, and call for Dark Mediterranean Blue, but the box top painting looks like a lot lighter color.  So now I am at bit of a quandry.  Should it be Dark or Light Mediterranean Blue, or some other shade of blue?  If it is one of the Mediterranean Blues, what might the Humbrol equivalent be?  I wouldn't mind getting the Colourcoats paint, but I'm not sure of the availability on this side of the pond.  The Mr Color they show on the instructions is for U.S. Insignia Blue which seems too dark.  The rest of the markings I can pull together from what I already have on hand.

Later,

Dave

Darn I forgot to include the boxtop from Scalemates:

1407567-17841-41-720.jpg

Edited by e8n2
Added picture of Boxtop Artwork

the contemporary photo of T-Z EN500 shows a very dark overall colour, much darker than roundel blue

ilj

I have doubts. Malta is not my area of interest, so I'll be glad to be corrected.

When MkIX came to Malta the need for special camouflage was not a priority any more. The danger for the island was gone, the intensity of the battle was gone. Invasion of Italy was supposed to be a new battlefield. Other Maltan new Spitfires do show classic two colour camouflage on top.

The only pic of T-Z I know is of quite poor quality.

249sqdn-spitfire-9-qrendi.jpg

I worked on it just a little bit and in my opinion it is required to invest a lot of will in it to see one colour scheme on upper surfaces.

249sqdn-spitfire-9-qrendi.jpg.4a233ac8fe

• Like 3

Thanks Gents!

In the above photo there are colour demarcation lines between the spinner and the exhaust and,less obviously ,

on the wings.

Also the yellow l/e stripes are still there.As these were not a required marking in the ME, I would Suggest that this is a 

poor quality shot of a Spitfire in DFS.HTH,

Derek S

• Like 1

OK, having had another look (above photo), I think maybe 'much darker than roundel blue' NOT so much

it still looks to me like some kind of dark overpaint... I'm wondering if the lighter areas visible on the outer upper wings are the roundels

"the contemporary photo of T-Z EN500 shows a very dark overall colour, much darker than roundel blue

ilj"