1/144 Revell A320 Swiss

Hi all,

This is my second attempt of building civilian aircraft and I am still learning many techniques.  My first one was a same kit, but done in Lufthansa livery. 

Knowing these kits have a small number of parts, I thought it would be a quick build, but I was dead wrong.

Never knew how complex it could be dealing w/ painting...  And I found out people basically block out all of the windows and that is exactly what I have done here. 

The build is straight forward, but I found out that there are many after market decals, so I used Draw decals for Swiss logos and also used Pas decals for windows. 

I gave multiple coats of clear with Gunze Super Clear III.  It gave some incredible shine in the beginning, but now after some weeks, it is starting to lose shine. 

The reason is pretty simple, the thinner getting evaporated, and the clear coat shrinking caused the shine to diminish a bit.  I should know this, coming from building autos...

Next time, I would like to try something different to prevent that.

I used to build everything when I was young, but I have been strictly building autos for many years.  Then the hobby got away from me for awhile and now I am picking things up again. 

As I tried to learn new things and re-learn the know-hows, I must admit that this is definitely a hobby that needs dedication and patience.  

Unfortunately, this is probably why this industry isn't picking up with young kids, I don't see how this hobby can compete against something such as playing video games. 😉

Having said that, my respect to you all, we are not easy and we know how to pursue what we like for a long time!

Steve

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 32
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Abandoned Project said:

Amazing A320s.Hey @Corsairfoxfouruncle, another great modeller from the Windy City. 

Always good to have more from Chicago, They're definitely great looking builds. I personally cant get that good a finish on my builds, so I tend to stay away from Civilian airliners. 

• Like 1

What a lovely model! And a special commendation on photography - your presentation is something to mimic, especially those “eye level” pictures on that reflecting surface.

Very nice indeed, an elegant, simple livery which you have captured to perfection. The Revell kit might be getting on in years but in the right hands it still builds up into a fine model

If you haven't come across them you might want to check out the cockpit and cabin windows and other detail decals available from Authentic Airliner Decals. They cover most modern jets and plenty else besides. I don't know how it is in the USA but here in the UK the availability of Russian decals (PAS, Ascensio etc) is severely restricted.

Thanks for sharing :goodjob:

Dave G 🇺🇦

These are excellent builds and very engaging to view, perhaps because the liveries are so clean and understated - no blobs, swirls or over-assortment of colours in the graphic schemes for these two airliners.

I think you are on to something about the pastime. Video games yield faster results.

Michael

Thank you all for positive feedback!  I feel definitely welcome here. ;)

And of course, great to get to know you guys here!   

On 5/7/2022 at 5:21 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Always good to have more from Chicago, They're definitely great looking builds. I personally cant get that good a finish on my builds, so I tend to stay away from Civilian airliners. 

Ah, nice to meet you here! 👍  We are finally getting warm weather, I feel like we got robbed being in winter mode so long. :wink: 

16 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

Very nice indeed, an elegant, simple livery which you have captured to perfection. The Revell kit might be getting on in years but in the right hands it still builds up into a fine model

If you haven't come across them you might want to check out the cockpit and cabin windows and other detail decals available from Authentic Airliner Decals. They cover most modern jets and plenty else besides. I don't know how it is in the USA but here in the UK the availability of Russian decals (PAS, Ascensio etc) is severely restricted.

Thanks for sharing :goodjob:

Dave G 🇺🇦

Sweet, I just checked Authentic Airliner decals, they look fantastic!  Those 3D cockpit screen decals look great, I would definitely like to give it a try. 

Thanks for the tip on this.  To be honest, I didn't think there would be many after market demand for these passenger airliners at first, but I see more and more for sure.

I started to see the market for these airliners is somewhat small but very specialized.  Many subject matter experts knowing every detail building these kits! 

To be honest, I still get confused identifying Airbus from Boeing correctly (shame on me).

Thanks again guys!

2 minutes ago, cifenet said:

Ah, nice to meet you here! 👍  We are finally getting warm weather, I feel like we got robbed being in winter mode so long. :wink: 

Yes Out in the South west Burbs, it is nice to get warm weather. I was beginning to think we’d been forgotten by mother nature.