British Airways BAC Aérospatiale Concorde, Airfix 1:72 (Landor)

Many people don't like this kit (I've even seen someone bin theirs!), but I've really enjoyed building it.

There haven't been dramas, even the red cheatline down the fuselage was not as bad as I thought it was going to be.  The decals were still fresh and went on really well.

I don't know why people are so put off by this kit!  In my opinion, this kit turns out really well.

The only thing left is to do some touching up of the gloss white on the visor, where very small sections peeled off when I removed the masks.

This is G-BOAA:

IMG_6755

IMG_6754

IMG_6753

IMG_6752

With nose and visor drooped:

IMG_6756

With fleet mate G-BOAC (from the Revell boxing):

IMG_6758

With G-BOAC and F-BTSD (the Heller boxing):

IMG_6760

With all three noses drooped:

IMG_6761

I've got another Heller box upstairs; I do regret not having the landing gear down on F-BTSD.

• Like 59
  • Thanks 2

What a superb line-up of Concordes.

Its difficult to say which is more beautiful,they are all gorgeous.

But the BA landor one wins for elegance

I built the Revell kit some time ago and was also pleased with the kit.

Just recently bought the Heller kit as well.If my bench clears up a bit,I might start building it

• Like 1

One Concorde is a challenge, but three makes me wonder how you got out of the institution where everybody was so nice to you...

Sanity or lack thereof notwithstanding, this line-up is fantastic!

Congratulations Sir!

JR

• Like 2

Neil, you just reminded me why the Concorde was THE best looking civil airliner ever.  Those are three beauties you have displayed together.  :coolio:

Mike

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Alex1978 said:

What a superb line-up of Concordes.

Its difficult to say which is more beautiful,they are all gorgeous.

But the BA landor one wins for elegance

I built the Revell kit some time ago and was also pleased with the kit.

Just recently bought the Heller kit as well.If my bench clears up a bit,I might start building it

Landor is my favourite of the liveries too.

It's taken me this long to get the courage to build it in the Landor livery because the thought of applying the red stripe terrified me.

What a gorgeous trio - and a baby one too! 

Triply impressive as it’s a notoriously hard kit to build (and with a working droop snoot to boot).

Is it me, or does the 1/72 kit have more of a kink in the fin leading edge whereas the 1/144 one has a smoother curve?

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

What a gorgeous trio - and a baby one too! 

Triply impressive as it’s a notoriously hard kit to build (and with a working droop snoot to boot).

Is it me, or does the 1/72 kit have more of a kink in the fin leading edge whereas the 1/144 one has a smoother curve?

Regards,

Adrian

There is definitely a kink in the tail, which does look more pronounced in the 1:72.

Depending on the angle, the kink does look quite sharp:

Concorde_5.jpg

• Thanks 1

Neil, i think you've pretty much established yourself as the resident expert on building the Heller Concorde, since you've done three of em.

If i'm ever coerced into building one you will be the first to  know.

-d-

PS: Thoughts on the 1/144th scale Nitto kit?

• Like 1

Very very impressive work! Must be a real monster in 1/72. On the 6.th picture I thought I get drunk and see double. On the 7.th picture I thought I get stoned because suddenly there were 3 Concordes! 😂😂👍👍👍

All in all fantastic line up, even the 1/144 one 

Cheers

Andy 

• Like 1

Super stuff. 

I remember my friend building the Airfix 1/72 kit. That looked super too, though it did have to sit on our laps in a big box like a coffin to go to a model show. 

Hopefully I will get the chance to have a go at one in the future. Your examples show just what can be achieved. 

Credit to you Sir. 

Kevin 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, David H said:

If i'm ever coerced into building one you will be the first to  know.

-d-

PS: Thoughts on the 1/144th scale Nitto kit?

I really haven't found any of them to be that bad to build - I'm not sure if people are put off by the inaccuracies of this kit, or if they have had serious problems when building it.

As long as you have the expectation that it will require a lot of filler, especially along the wing root, I think you should be fine.

The wing root on the upper surface is 40 cm (16 in) long, so it requires some effort to fill it.

Add to that the cumbersome size, it can be unwieldy, but I never lost my motivation on this build - whereas on some small kits, I've lost interest halfway through.

I've never seen the Nitto kit!

It's not a brand I know about, and I haven't seen any Nitto kits in my local model shop, but I will keep an eye out for it!

I've also built the Heller 1:125 kit (I've got another one of these unbuilt), but it has something odd about the nose, specifically the visor.  It's designed to have nose-up or nose-down options, but the nose-down option has a special shrunk visor, which looks odd.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Andy Dyck said:

Very very impressive work! Must be a real monster in 1/72. On the 6.th picture I thought I get drunk and see double. On the 7.th picture I thought I get stoned because suddenly there were 3 Concordes! 😂😂👍👍👍

All in all fantastic line up, even the 1/144 one 

Cheers

Andy 

Thank you kindly!

I have three more to build!

It's nice to see someone from Celle here - I was born in Bad Fallingbostel!

5 hours ago, Samuraiwarrior said:

Super stuff. 

I remember my friend building the Airfix 1/72 kit. That looked super too, though it did have to sit on our laps in a big box like a coffin to go to a model show. 

Hopefully I will get the chance to have a go at one in the future. Your examples show just what can be achieved. 

Credit to you Sir. 

Kevin 

The one thing I'm concerned about is if I move home...

I already lost many models during my move back from France, and I've spent the best part of 3 years rebuilding.

I wanted to take this one to show my parents, but I don't have any special boxes (or coffins) for my models.

When I went to Telford, I was surprised to see no-one had suffered any damage during transport!

I say give it a go!

12 hours ago, neilg said:

Thank you kindly!

I have three more to build!

It's nice to see someone from Celle here - I was born in Bad Fallingbostel!

Oh nice , that’s just around the corner! It’s a pity that all British people are gone meanwhile! 😞

• 3 months later...

Nice Concorde. Someone is putting up an Airfix 1/72 Concorde for sale and I hesitate to get it due to the size. How big is the 1/72 plane? A 1/144 B777-300ER that I have is huge enough and I am not building yet due to space constraint.

5 hours ago, Cklasse said:

Nice Concorde. Someone is putting up an Airfix 1/72 Concorde for sale and I hesitate to get it due to the size. How big is the 1/72 plane? A 1/144 B777-300ER that I have is huge enough and I am not building yet due to space constraint.

He is a big boy for sure.

Here he is next to my 777-300ER:

IMG_8067

Its size does make it cumbersome to move around, especially while sanding the wing roots.

But, its size is also what makes it stand out from all the others, and everyone always comments when they see it.

• Like 1