(Most of a) Pegasus Albacore in 1/72

I got this kit for free, in the end, because it was missing half the fuselage. For reasons that are still obscure to me, I decided to scratch build the missing half and start to make the kit, thus messing up all my carefully considered plans for GB participation and finishing my other builds!

Anyway, it’s done. The kit is very short run, so making a new fuselage half was hardly a bump in the road. Top surfaces are Xtracrylics and the bottom half is good ole’ acrylic Humbrol 90. Pictures below and WIP is here:

0-E66895-F-C945-4-A7-B-BB0-B-E786-A908-A41-C2590-B-7-B38-4-D83-92-F4-46619597645A12-F15-CC-238-F-4-B18-B362-4-BD1-A6-F59D78560-BD-4-FCF-4613-9-A87-EDF231317-C50 DBB66-F48-7-A47-4502-8-E20-E3188-AEA1-FDEB0-C6496-FFA2-4-FC4-B534-71-F5-E82-E808 

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 51

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

I decided to scratch build the missing half

He says, like it's a piece-of-cake, two-minute job that we can all do with no bother!

Cracking build, Adrian, and an interesting subject.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

There’s something appealing about these 1930s and early-war aircraft, at least for me. Someday I’ll have to build one (instead of just adding them to my stash!).

Great job on the Albacore, I can’t tell which side is original and which is scratch.

• Thanks 1

Adrian,

You've made a wonderful silk purse from a sow's ear, and a most entertaining and educational journey to get there! It might just motivate me to push mine over the finish line,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for the kind comments!

7 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Lovely to see one in plastic

In this case the fuselage really is nearly 50% filler :)

6 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

two-minute job that we can all do

Half the job is turning up! I’m sure anyone on this forum could do it if they had to, but then you’d have been smart enough to pick up the MPM kit next it to that doesn’t have any parts missing…

5 hours ago, billn53 said:

There’s something appealing about these 1930s and early-war aircraft

Thanks Bill. Your Jenny was an awesome reworking of a basic kit. I hope you do some more inter-war models.

5 hours ago, AliGauld said:

cracking subject.

4 hours ago, stevehnz said:

she looks superb in that scheme. 👍

Thanks chaps! Finding that photo really helped me to focus and get on with it.

4 hours ago, Dunny said:

motivate me to push mine over the finish line

Thanks Roger for the inspiration. That last 10%… At least rigging will be a tad less tricky in 1/48 than 1/72. Although you can hardly see it on mine - there’s plenty of scope for the Acme Invisible Thread approach :wicked:

• Like 1

That's something special, Sir.

My hat is off to you.

I'd rather make both from scratch than try and match one, and I can't tell by eye which is yours and which came from the kit.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Old Man said:

I can't tell by eye which is yours

Thank you Sir. I will give you a clue. The port one isn't mine!

Luckily the kit wasn't that finely engraved so matching the detail wasn't too hard.

Regards,

Adrian

To have carved the fuselage from a bar of soap would have been easier. That's a cracking job. I have built one of these, so I know what the rest of it is like.

One day I will tackle my 1/48 rendering.

• Thanks 1