Kinetic 1/32 Hawk Mk.127 RAAF

25 minutes ago, Motty said:

G'day Tom and Rod,

No worries. Glad it helped.

The new scheme is actually meant to be a compromise between camouflage and better visibility. The greys give it an element of camouflage and helps develop the skill of visual acquisition during the introductory fighter course done by 76Sqn while the high contrast and gloss finish help to make it a bit more visible (than the old scheme) in the circuit area at Pearce (79Sqn) where there are co-located basic training units with less experienced aircrew. It's also more durable.

I know it sounds counter-productive but I've heard it works reasonably well.

Cheers,

Motty.

That makes sense, thanks Motty

• 3 weeks later...

G'day,

A nice build... I'm assuming 1/32 scale?

What colour did you use for the central band over the canopy? The overall paint work is nice.

I'm about to start the Kinetic 1/32 version but will use the RAAF darker grey scheme over the aircraft. I've got a few 3rd party add-ons to use such as metal pitot tube, twin wing fuel tanks, updated resin cockpit, ejection seats, AIM-9's.

Hopefully I'll around to putting up WIP pics of the build.

Edited by SubOne
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, SubOne said:

G'day,

A nice build... I'm assuming 1/32 scale?

What colour did you use for the central band over the canopy? The overall paint work is nice.

I'm about to start the Kinetic 1/32 version but will use the RAAF darker grey scheme over the aircraft. I've got a few 3rd party add-ons to use such as metal pitot tube, twin wing fuel tanks, updated resin cockpit, ejection seats, AIM-9's.

Hopefully I'll around to putting up WIP pics of the build.

Hi SubOne,

Thanks for your comments. It is 1/32. I used Tamiya Buff lightened with white for the canopy blast screen seal. The weird thing about the Kinetic kit is that it's moulded into the canopy clear part, whereas on the real aircraft the buff coloured seal is between the inside of the canopy glass and the blast screen. 

I'm looking forward to seeing your WIP. Apart from the intakes, it's a pleasant build and looks the part when finished.

Cheers,

Tom

On 6/1/2022 at 12:12 AM, Tomjw said:

..............The weird thing about the Kinetic kit is that it's moulded into the canopy clear part, whereas on the real aircraft the buff coloured seal is between the inside of the canopy glass and the blast screen. 

G'day Tom.

Not quire actually. The Hawk canopy is really made up of two separate pieces which are joined in the middle, which is what that buff area is.

Mottys-Photo_2016_05_19_0202-DTLR-1-003-

The area in the center of the band (about 3 inches or so, between the yellow lines in the version below) is actually the outer surface of the canopy, between the two clear parts, while the wider area (between the green and yellow lines on either side) is set down a little, with the clear parts on top of it. The buff band is all one part but it is shaped to accept the edges of the clear parts into it (if that makes sense?)

Mottys-Photo_2016_05_19_0202-DTLR-1-003-

On the inside the area is painted and pretty much completely covered by the framing for the blast shield.

Mottys-Photo_2015_04_13_0219-DTLR-1-002-

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Motty.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Tom,

With the PE sheet that's included with the kit, I can't find in the instructions sheets where PE items 10 and 24 are shown. Can you advise please?