Kinetic 1/32 Hawk Mk.127 RAAF

Hi all. It's been a long time since I've posted anything on Britmodeller and so I really need to change that as I enjoy spending time on here. This is my Kinetic Hawk Mk.127 Lead In Fighter (LIF) of the Royal Australian Air Force. I spent several wonderful years working on this aircraft during my previous career working for BAE Systems.

The kit was okay, although the plastic is very soft. Ironically you can't make a Mk.127 out of the box mainly due to deficiencies in the cockpit, so I managed to acquire the Kinetic (Eduard) colour printed PE set to correct this. I also added PE seat belts from a TMk.1 set, master probe, Reskit wheels and Brassin AIM-9L's

Thanks for looking.  All comments welcome...

20220507_162740

20220507_162713

20220507_162645

20220507_162834

Cheers,

Tom

• Like 47

32 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

That's very tasty. I like the paintwork very much.

Thanks Bertie

1 hour ago, luis pacheco said:

Very nice.

I have built the same model some years ago.

Thanks Luis

Very effective, very nice paint job. I thought the canopy on mine was quite badly fitting but you seem to have done much better! 

I liked this kit very much, and since got one of the Revell boxings to build as an RAF version. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alan P said:

Very effective, very nice paint job. I thought the canopy on mine was quite badly fitting but you seem to have done much better! 

I liked this kit very much, and since got one of the Revell boxings to build as an RAF version. 

Thanks Alan. I must admit that I found the fit of the canopy difficult also. There's a lot of filler in there. If I did another one, I'd leave the canopy open. 

If you don't already have one, I recommend the cockpit PE set which is applicable to the Mk.127 and the T2...

https://www.luckymodel.com/scale.aspx?item_no=KIN-K32003

Very reasonable price and shipping cost.

Cheers,

Tom

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, mike c said:

That's very nice indeed.👍

22 minutes ago, Pete Robin said:

As I've said before, not a fan of jet aircraft, but that is very, very well done.

Regards

Pete

Thanks gentlemen. Very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Tom

Tomjw - that's a gorgeous model, however there's a "gotcha" with RAAF Hawks in that they all carry BOTH user squadron's markings.

Your model is correct in that on the RHS Hawks carry 76 Sqn markings (a panther's head superimposed over a black/red/black/red/black stripe). However, on the LHS they carry 79 Sqn markings (a gold phoenix over a yellow/red/yellow stripe).

I'm sorry to have to point this out; I was blissfully unaware myself until I saw them operating out of RAAF Williamtown (76 Sqn) several years ago...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rod Blievers said:

Tomjw - that's a gorgeous model, however there's a "gotcha" with RAAF Hawks in that they all carry BOTH user squadron's markings.

Your model is correct in that on the RHS Hawks carry 76 Sqn markings (a panther's head superimposed over a black/red/black/red/black stripe). However, on the LHS they carry 79 Sqn markings (a gold phoenix over a yellow/red/yellow stripe).

I'm sorry to have to point this out; I was blissfully unaware myself until I saw them operating out of RAAF Williamtown (76 Sqn) several years ago...

Hi Rod.

That's something I wasn't aware of. My last trip to Williamtown was in 2003 and I don't think that was the case back then, but things have clearly changed since then. Hopefully others who build this kit in the future will pick up your advice and not make the same mistake as me.

Cheers,

Tom

Very good looking plane and model. Are the wings bigger on this version than the standard version? They look awfully big.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Deano353 said:

Very good looking plane and model. Are the wings bigger on this version than the standard version? They look awfully big.

Thanks Deano.

Yes, the Mk.127 has the seven station wing whereas the T Mk.1 has the smaller span five station wing.

Cheers,

Tom

On 5/9/2022 at 6:53 AM, Tomjw said:

Hi Rod.

That's something I wasn't aware of. My last trip to Williamtown was in 2003 and I don't think that was the case back then, but things have clearly changed since then. Hopefully others who build this kit in the future will pick up your advice and not make the same mistake as me.

Cheers,

Tom

G'day Tom,

The tail markings are correct for the colour scheme you have done.

The RAAF Hawks were originally operated in a lighter, matt scheme with individual unit markings as you have done.

Around 2011 / 2012 we began to repaint them into a darker, gloss scheme where gunship grey replaced the top colour. That's when they began wearing the different unit markings on each side of the fin (79Sqn on the left and 76Sqn on the right).

Cheers,

Motty.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Motty said:

G'day Tom,

The tail markings are correct for the colour scheme you have done.

The RAAF Hawks were originally operated in a lighter, matt scheme with individual unit markings as you have done.

Around 2011 / 2012 we began to repaint them into a darker, gloss scheme where gunship grey replaced the top colour. That's when they began wearing the different unit markings on each side of the fin (79Sqn on the left and 76Sqn on the right).

Cheers,

Motty.

Ahh, that's after my time. I left BAe in 2006. All good advice and I hope others benefit.  Thanks Motty, very much appreciated.

37 minutes ago, Gatesy64 said:

Lovely job, excellent finish 

Thanks Gatesey.

I stand corrected! Thanks for the clarification Motty. I spent a few days at Williamtown around 2014 and (you're right) they were in darker greys then. Another change was the newer font (horrible IMHO) for the serials....

6 hours ago, Rod Blievers said:

I stand corrected! Thanks for the clarification Motty. I spent a few days at Williamtown around 2014 and (you're right) they were in darker greys then. Another change was the newer font (horrible IMHO) for the serials....

I have to agree with you regarding the darker greys. I'm not sure where in or around Australia the darker grey camo is supposed to work. Maybe in close proximity to a whale? That's why I went with the original camouflage scheme.

1 hour ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Lovely rendition Tom. 🏆

Thanks Ray.

2 hours ago, Tomjw said:

I have to agree with you regarding the darker greys. I'm not sure where in or around Australia the darker grey camo is supposed to work. Maybe in close proximity to a whale? That's why I went with the original camouflage scheme.

Thanks Ray.

G'day Tom and Rod,

No worries. Glad it helped.

The new scheme is actually meant to be a compromise between camouflage and better visibility. The greys give it an element of camouflage and helps develop the skill of visual acquisition during the introductory fighter course done by 76Sqn while the high contrast and gloss finish help to make it a bit more visible (than the old scheme) in the circuit area at Pearce (79Sqn) where there are co-located basic training units with less experienced aircrew. It's also more durable.

I know it sounds counter-productive but I've heard it works reasonably well.

Cheers,

Motty.

• Like 1