Westland Scout**FINISHED***

8 minutes ago, bootneck said:

That looks very good Pete but I would tone down the gloss finish somewhat.  I know that these aircraft have a gloss type finish, but that is when viewed close up.  Your views are typical of looking at them 20-30m away and the distance effect does tone down that gloss.

cheers,

Mike

Hi Mike,

I agree so I will be applying matt varnish.

Pete

Having used 4 or 5 different colours on the engine, I dirtied it up with Tamiya Smoke and stuck it on. The whole thing has had a coat of flat varnish.

DSC06856-crop

That just leaves the main rotor which on early Airfix helicopters used to be a problem for me. I remember throwing my first S55 Whirlwind because the blades would not stay on, and I thing the same happened to the Belvedere, but my first Scout was not a problem, until the tiny drive shaft snapped after a couple of years! I think the problem was due to a combination of inferior glue and a very small attachment area combined with the unsupported length and weight of the blades. Glue seems to have improved a bit since then and there is always CA as a back-up. I imagine the rotor head could stand some improvement but frankly I do not know that much about helicopters and it would be a real fiddle on something as small as this so I won't bother.

Pete

• Like 5

• PeterB changed the title to Westland Scout**FINISHED***

In the absence of any info to the contrary I have gone with the kit paint scheme on the blades - black underneath and grey on top, so now this one is finished.

DSC06907-crop

Bit more complicated than the OOB build I was originally anticipating, with just changes to the paint scheme and decs, but worth it in the end I think. An old and rather basic kit brought "up to date" with AM and a little scratch building - no doubt not entirely accurate but I rather like it.

So I will post it in the Gallery and it only remains to thank the organiser and hosts. For those still building - good luck.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 7

It does look good, well done Pete, a very nice build! :goodjob:

43 minutes ago, heloman1 said:

come on Airfix, time for  new kit!

I'm surprised they haven't released it as one of their classic kit reissues. Maybe they've lost the moulds?

• Thanks 1